Some minorities find 'President-elect Trump' scary prospect

webfact

Some minorities find 'President-elect Trump' scary prospect

By JAY REEVES

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Across America, many members of minority groups awoke Wednesday to something that had seemed an implausible nightmare just a day earlier: President-elect Donald Trump.

After a race that shattered norms of civility and restraint, Trump's ascendency to the White House on the power of overwhelming white support left some with the sinking feeling that they now live in a country where they simply don't matter. Some said they even worry that they are potentially in danger because of the color of their skin, the God they worship or the language they speak.

"I'm like literally an enemy of the state now," said Black Lives Matter activist Mercutio Southall, 32, who was roughed-up by Trump supporters a year ago after disrupting one of the candidate's rallies in Birmingham.

Trump received minority votes in his stunning win over Democrat Hillary Clinton, and he made conciliatory comments about unity in his victory speech. But some minority citizens who didn't support the Republican nominee said they fear what the next four years might bring.

"It looks like we are going back to the back of the bus," said NAACP member George Rudolph, 65, a black Vietnam veteran whose wife Sarah was seriously injured in the Ku Klux Klan church bombing that killed four black girls in Birmingham in 1963.

Rudolph said Trump's election evokes a time decades ago when segregationist Alabama Gov. George Wallace stoked crowds with similar rhetoric.

In Los Angeles, just hours after Trump was projected as the next president, Martha Arevalo of the Central American Resource Center said her office already was fielding calls from immigrants who fear they will be targeted for deportation under a Trump presidency.

"This is very, very scary for our families, and they are afraid," said Arevalo, the center's executive director. "What we are telling them is we will continue to fight and we will continue to try to protect them as much as possible."

The nature of the divided vote is behind some of the concern. After promising to "make America great again" — which some heard as a call to return the nation to a time when white men ran almost everything — Trump won the presidency with staggering support from white men. Exit polls and unofficial returns reflected that his backers were older, more male and overwhelmingly white compared to Clinton supporters.

Clinton drew support from a diverse coalition resembling the one that twice elected Barack Obama as president. She carried women, young voters and nonwhites with margins that could leave her actually winning the national popular vote while losing the electoral tally.

At North Carolina Central University in Durham, sophomore Jamon Carlton said he still hadn't figured out how Trump had won in a country that seemed to embrace hope and the inclusion of everyone eight years ago. He worried Trump's victory might embolden closet bigots and lead to more dangerous displays of anger.

"It could become confrontational. Man, I hope it doesn't come to that," said Carlton, who voted for Clinton.

Bennett McAuley and Derrick Swick, a gay-transgender couple in Durham, said they feel especially vulnerable just weeks away from a Trump presidency. "Hell, I'm a white man and this is a really uncomfortable morning," Swick said.

Just hours after Trump' election, the head of Alabama's largest Islamic congregation said he awakened to messages from female Muslims worried about whether it was safe to wear their religious coverings in public.

"People on social media and otherwise are very concerned about all the talk about banning Muslims and having Muslims to register, so there is a lot of concern," said Ashfaq Taufique, president of the Birmingham Islamic Society.

Trump has tried to walk back some of his harshest campaign comments, such as calling Mexican immigrants "rapists;" proposing a ban on Muslims entering the United States, and advocating mass deportations. His victory speech struck a gentler tone that some found encouraging, and Clinton noted that Trump had won the right to govern.

"We owe him an open mind and a chance to lead," she said in her concession speech.

Imelda Salazar, an immigrant rights organizer in Chicago, isn't there yet. She broke down into tears while discussing Trump's win.

"I haven't slept. I'm sad. I'm angry and all that," she said. "But one thing that stands out the most is I'm not alone."

Javier Benavidez, executive director of the Southwest Organizing Project in Albuquerque, New Mexico, said activists there likely would hold peaceful demonstrations each time Trump visits the state as president. For now, they plan a Native American healing ceremony in reaction to his election.

"Confronting this new terrain is frightening," Benavidez said.

___

Associated Press writers Amy Taxin in Santa Ana, California; Russell Contreras in Las Vegas; Jocelyn Gecker in San Francisco; and Jeffrey S. Collins in Durham, North Carolina; Sophia Tareen in Chicago; and Corey Williams in Detroit contributed to this report.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-11-10

16 minutes ago, webfact said:

In Los Angeles, just hours after Trump was projected as the next president, Martha Arevalo of the Central American Resource Center said her office already was fielding calls from immigrants who fear they will be targeted for deportation under a Trump presidency.

The only people who can be deported are illegal aliens. So, these people aren't actually "immigrants." And they're not Americans either. Who cares if they're scared. They broke the law, took jobs, public services, and likely educational benefits they were not entitled to.  Time to pay for their crimes.

5 hours ago, Usernames said:

The only people who can be deported are illegal aliens. So, these people aren't actually "immigrants." And they're not Americans either. Who cares if they're scared. They broke the law, took jobs, public services, and likely educational benefits they were not entitled to.  Time to pay for their crimes.

If any of us here in Thailand came across the border illegally, we're not called 'immigrants', we are called 'bad guys' who have broken Thailand immigration law.  But somehow in the US, if a person walks across the border illegally, they are suppose to be an 'immigrant'?  Actually, just like here in Thailand, those who haven entered the US illegally need to be deported.  Those who wish to immigrate should stand in line and do so legally.  I find it very difficult to feel any compassion for those who have made a mockery of the US immigration laws.  That needs to change.

5 hours ago, mikebike said:

So you mean blacks and immigrants right?

Let see.  I've picked fruit on a farm, I've worked in gardens, I've fixed fences, I've mowed yards.  I've done all types of manual labor at some point during my life.  It put food on the table.  It's honest work.  And my grandparents came from Europe.  I was brought up with a work ethic.  So?  This meme that this is work only for 'immigrants' and non-whites is in fact overtly racist.  It's used to stoke the racial divide.  And it's total nonsense.

Edited by connda

16 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Trump asked black community "What have you got to lose?". I guess now they will find out......

Any chance of a fairer USA...

As businessmen Trump is going to make his teenier of the Oval Office advantageous to his business interests, and that includes exploiting cheap labour of the minorities.  

8 hours ago, Usernames said:

Your compassion is underwhelming for the less fortunate in life. Let us hope you are never in a similar situation and have to depend upon somebody like you. They came to America because the situation in their home country didn't/couldn't support them, and in countries like Mexico there isn't a government safety net. They came to work and try to support their families.....that is why billions is sent back to Mexico each year. But why am I telling you this because you only care about your pathetic self. Don't bother to reply and defend yourself because I won't be reading it.

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

Trump asked black community "What have you got to lose?". I guess now they will find out......

Of course, don't blame them, the vast majority did not support his crapola. 

African American vote

Clinton 88 percent

trump 8 percent (suckers!) 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Your compassion is underwhelming for the less fortunate in life. Let us hope you are never in a similar situation and have to depend upon somebody like you. They came to America because the situation in their home country didn't/couldn't support them, and in countries like Mexico there isn't a government safety net. They came to work and try to support their families.....that is why billions is sent back to Mexico each year. But why am I telling you this because you only care about your pathetic self. Don't bother to reply and defend yourself because I won't be reading it.

Oh, stop with the "poor Mexico" routine.  It's idiotic. Mexico's GDP is the 11th highest in the world, higher than Italy, South Korea, Spain, Australia. You're living in a cliche.  

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I hope no one saw me as blaming black people in any way..... not my intent at all. Now we will all get to find out just what he meant. BTW DT, if you screw up as pres, there is no bankruptcy clause let you start over. It's gonna be for real this time

Not to worry pool cleaners gardeners MacDonald workers to the right you stay. Freeloaders to the left get on the bus. Read the enclosed manual on the back of the seat in front of you which reads. "Your readjustment to life back in Mexico. Say Benios Dias when exiting. 

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

African American vote

Clinton 88 percent

Love the avatar. The W.C. Fields profound statement remains true even today. They did an interview of Ohio voters that desperately reached out and voted for Trump and their stories were heart breaking. Hillary just did not grasp the ground level woes in the rust belt states. I fail to see any joy that Trump will restore to them. Politicians are like carpetbaggers after they get your vote as the song goes "So Long Its Been Good To Know You" If you listen to politicians they tell you that you are sacrificing your job and food for your family for the greater good. Its time to make politicians obsolete. In their case AI will solve nothing. 

Edited by elgordo38

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

African American vote

Clinton 88 percent

Does this mean that the "polar bear hunting" and the " Knock out " games will end now?

White people should not be allowed to vote as they may vote for someone they like. Did you ever hear a recent politician say he was going to help white people? I haven't.  Did you ever hear a recent politician not say he was going to help blacks? I haven't. Don't let the fact that Trump respects the law of the land scare you, just follow the law and you will be just fine. Break the laws and you may not be coddled any more. If he brings good jobs back like he has promised then this will be good for all law abiding citizens. If he doesn't he will probably be out in four years.

4 hours ago, Mansell said:

They are in the country illegally.  They need to be deported,  just as any of us would be deported if we entered Thailand illegally - for whatever reason. 
The US immigration system is not broken, it is simply is by-passed.  Immigrants who are granted a visa by the US immigration system should absolutely be welcomed with open arms, and personally I commend them!  I am pro-immigration.  As long as it's done legally, just as I'm am legally residing in Thailand.  I may not like Thai immigration law, but I do follow it to the letter.
And if my wife ever wished to immigrate to the US, we would do so legally.  I would not be taking her to Tecate, hiring a coyote, and having her cross illegally in order to game the system.  No, she would wait in line, submit the required documentation, and wait for approval.  And if approval happened or not, we'd accept the decision.  And I won't be suggesting to any of my extended Thai family members that they should jump the US border because it's easier than working through the established immigration system.  I know there are people in this world who have no issues with breaking the law or condoning the breaking of laws when it fits their purposes.  Being a proponent and an advocate for breaking the laws of a sovereign nation speaks volumes of the person.  In fascism, the ends justify the means.  In civilized nations, the rule of law dictates the means to an end.  I prefer to live in civilized nations and I support the rule of law of the nations in which I chose to live.  And considering we live under neither fascism or anarchy in both the US and Thailand, everyone should follow the rule of law.  I'm assuming you'd expect me to have compassion for those over-staying their visas here in Thailand too?  I should have compassion for all the Burmese and Cambodians who enter Thailand illegally, are rounded up, and deported because they chose to enter illegally when there is a legal means to enter this country legally for work?  Heck, I want to open a restaurant with my wife without a work permit or 2 million THB capilization.  So it should be OK for me to do that simply because I want to, the heck with Thai law?  Really? 
There is absolutely no difference in the morality of enforcing immigration laws in Thailand as there is in enforcing immigration laws in the US.  So Mansell, will you overstay your visa if other avenues are not open to you to remain here in Thailand?  The end justifies the means?  The law be damn?

Edited by connda

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

African American vote

Clinton 88 percent

But enough saw the lying, and incompetence of Hillary. If one can't manage to protect classified information as Secretary of State, or conduct decent foreign policy, she doesn't need to be in the White House. Plenty of reasons not to vote Hillary, never mind the decades of dishonesty, and lack of ethics, as a public servant.

Donald Trump statement on banning Muslims from US has disappeared from his website; The president-elect no longer has the 7 December 2015 statement 

By election day morning, the controversial statement had been removed

The page that hosted this speech now redirects to a page call for donations  https://www.donaldjtrump.com/

Videos and speeches defending the ban remain on the Trump campaign website.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-president-election-muslim-ban-immigrants-website-statement-removed-a7408466.html?cmpid=facebook-post

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/muslim-ban-statement-disappears-trump-website/story?id=43433347

Edited by Opl