Man drowns to death in Saen Saeb Canal after wrong step to get off boat (VIDEO)

webfact

Man drowns to death in Saen Saeb Canal after wrong step to get off boat (VIDEO)

By Coconuts Bangkok 

boat_5.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A man tragically drowned to death in Saen Saeb Canal this morning after he fell into the water in the moment he tried to get off the boat — which didn't even stop for passengers to get out.

At 10:15am today, the authorities discovered the body of the man who fell into the canal around 6am at the pier in Sukhumvit Soi 15. He was found about 10 meters away from the pier, according to JS100.

Police identified the deceased as 50-year-old Theerapong Silasit. His body has been sent to Royal Police Hospital.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/11/10/man-drowns-death-saen-saeb-canal-after-wrong-step-get-boat-video

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-11-10

8 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

No one bothered to help him?  

It would seem that way, but if you were there and saw this happen how willing would you be to jump into that toxic canal? Others have died from merely ingesting the "water".

Man drowned after a misstep at pier and fell into water 

451_Man.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A 50-year-old man was drowned after he jumped from a passenger boat to a pier but misstepped and fell into Klong Saensap canal.

The incident happened in Klong Saensap canal at the international pier behind Saint Dominic school off Sukhumvit 15 in Watana district at about 6.20 am.

Rescue workers could find his body stuck at the bottom of the canal 20 metres from the pier three hours later.

Deputy transport minister Orm-sin Chivapruek inspected the pier late this morning and ordered the Krob Krua Kon Song or Family Transport Co to help the victim’s family as well as asking passengers and boat drivers to abide by the safety rule strictly.

The victim was later identified as Tirapong Silarit, a car driver of a company.

According to witness, Tirapong jumped off the boat while it was about to dock at the pier.

He misstepped the pier and fell into the canal.

The boat driver then quickly steered his boat away from the pier to avoid the propeller hitting the man.

But he couldn’t be located near the pier.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/man-drowned-after-a-misstep-at-pier-and-fell-into-water/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-10

I have complained about these boats many times. They often don't stop to let people on and off, just pulling up close to the pier and the boat guys shouting "hurry hurry."

I had my foot caught in one of the tyres once when getting on and had to have medical treatment. I could have claimed for the medical expense but the effort involved (going to Bangkapi and filing a complaint) didn't seem worth it.

There was once a survey done by a Canadian university and one of the comments I made in "suggested improvements" was to ask the drivers to stop racing from A to B and treat the route as a "service". I met the researchers a few weeks later and they told me that the reply to my remark was that the boats were competing with the BTS and had to be as fast.

This crap happens all the time.  Surprise more don't get killed by they boat operators.  Someone should be charged here for manslaughter.  The company and the driver of the boat.   But once again the court and police system will fail the people..

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

Drowned to death sounds a little bit less painful than being killed to death or even electrocuted to death.

1 hour ago, trogers said:

Drowns to death?

I thought the word 'drown' means dying from being submersed in a liquid that stops inhalation.

So, the poor man died to death...

ratcatcher and trogers,

Like you, I also thought that drowning meant death. But apparently, this is not the case, and I found a number of references online that allude to non-fatal drowning episodes!

To give Thai PBS a little credit (which I seldom do), this could actually be their translation of fatal drowning (as distinct from non-fatal drowning).

As noted in http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/772753-overview, and http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs347/en/ exact definitions of drowning have varied widely.

It was previously defined as death secondary to asphyxia while immersed in a liquid, usually water, or within 24 hours of submersion, however, since 2002 experts have suggested that it is a process resulting in primary respiratory impairment from submersion in a liquid medium, with key terms describing outcomes being simplified to death, morbidity, or no morbidity.

14 minutes ago, waldroj said:

ratcatcher and trogers,

Like you, I also thought that drowning meant death. But apparently, this is not the case, and I found a number of references online that allude to non-fatal drowning episodes!

To give Thai PBS a little credit (which I seldom do), this could actually be their translation of fatal drowning (as distinct from non-fatal drowning).

As noted in http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/772753-overview, and http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs347/en/ exact definitions of drowning have varied widely.

It was previously defined as death secondary to asphyxia while immersed in a liquid, usually water, or within 24 hours of submersion, however, since 2002 experts have suggested that it is a process resulting in primary respiratory impairment from submersion in a liquid medium, with key terms describing outcomes being simplified to death, morbidity, or no morbidity.

Whatever the new definitions try to do are needless. English has the term for what they are trying to redefine - nearly drowned!

Edited by trogers

RIP. Not sure why anyone would want to sail on that stinking canal. I was going to try it once but backed out at the last minute. 

Convenience and reliability.

Yes, it is smelly, you get wet from filthy water sometimes but you know the journey takes 10 minutes. The same journey in a taxi could take between 10 and 45 minutes.

Having watched that video several times, it would seem that the passengers wishing to disembark were prepared to risk a jump before the vessel came  alongside the dock. I suspect this is normal OP as they run quite fast and the boatmen did not seem to restrain them from making a leap. Always in a hurry to get nowhere. The vessel then moved away quite quickly. Rush, rush!

6 minutes ago, tails said:

How is a video of someone drowning in Bangkok publically available on the news... while True Visions goes as far as blurring out an unlit cigarette in movies?

Because it is illegal to show someone smoking a cigarette.Tobacco kills.

OTOH seeing someone fall in the canal is OK as it's not illegal. Twisted logic IMO.

Edited by ratcatcher

11 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Because it is illegal to show someone smoking a cigarette.Tobacco kills.

OTOH seeing someone fall in the canal is OK as it's not illegal. Twisted logic IMO.

Tits don't kill though do they, but they blur them out as well, even on a Rubens like painting in a film, bar. I don't buy the boat drivers story that he sped off so the prop would not hit the guy, surely you would cut the engine? Boat should have stopped and at least thrown in a life belt or two.

Edited by thai3

6 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

This crap happens all the time.  Surprise more don't get killed by they boat operators.  Someone should be charged here for manslaughter.  The company and the driver of the boat.   But once again the court and police system will fail the people..

what are you talking about, he tried to get off the boat before it had stopped, the idiot lost his balance and fell.

9 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

what are you talking about, he tried to get off the boat before it had stopped, the idiot lost his balance and fell.

Boat never stopped though people jumped off after the man fell in and the boat was still moving,.

Visitor to Thailand while(st) disembarking from unsafe canal conveyance, inhaled gaseous odor from surrounding scum, fell from the wharf, was crushed between the unsafe canal conveyance and the wharf, fell into the liquid scum and either drowned or was crushed. We'll never know as the Captain fled the scene and rescue workers first had to procure oxygen provided diving gear to dive the 5 feet to remove the killed by drowning man stuck in the mud?

7 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Drowned to death sounds a little bit less painful than being killed to death or even electrocuted to death.

wrong sentence composition..if you drown you have died..it is death by drowning.

1 minute ago, tandor said:

wrong sentence composition..if you drown you have died..it is death by drowning.

"BANGKOK: -- A man tragically drowned to death in Saen Saeb Canal  ..."

I assume your grammatically correct sentence is aimed at the author of the article?