Man drowns to death in Saen Saeb Canal after wrong step to get off boat (VIDEO)

webfact

seems to me the ticket takers on the boat  should  be responsible  for people that fall in ,   btw,  who give a you know what what the meaning of drown is, 

the video looks a little like the side of the boat  hit him, and he might have gotten a propeller too, either way,   TIT "the driver fled the scene" 

4 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Having watched that video several times, it would seem that the passengers wishing to disembark were prepared to risk a jump before the vessel came  alongside the dock. I suspect this is normal OP as they run quite fast and the boatmen did not seem to restrain them from making a leap. Always in a hurry to get nowhere. The vessel then moved away quite quickly. Rush, rush!

I take these boats 4 or 5 times a day and it is not uncommon for the boats not to stop completely. The boatmen stand there shouting "quickly quickly".

I have stood on the edge of the boat ready to jump off , only to find that the boat didn't stop at all. He just continued to the next pier.

Similarly, I once saw a group of 4 or 5 tourists trying to get on a boat. 2 or 3 got on and the boat pulled away before the others joined them.

It's all about speed.

10 hours ago, trogers said:

Drowns to death?

I thought the word 'drown' means dying from being submersed in a liquid that stops inhalation.

Yes, it's a bit tricky. Shot, shot dead, shot to death. Burnt or burnt to death. Bashed or bashed to death. Drowned. The words in bold may or may not result in death hence adding the the word dead or death. Drowned usually means death has already occurred due to drowning. Past tense. Having said this it is understandable how both native and non-native English speakers use this (drowned to death) terminology. I would, however, be shocked if i EVER see a headline "beheaded to death":shock1:

Looks like he might of hit his head on the side of the boat when he fell back and down into the water?  Then again, as others have said, maybe he only knew how to swim like a rock.  In any case, RIP poor fella.  One minute you're here, the next you're not.  Poof, just like that.

10 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

It would seem that way, but if you were there and saw this happen how willing would you be to jump into that toxic canal? Others have died from merely ingesting the "water".

I would be more than willing.... even if not to jump into the water.. I would get others to help and call the police.. I would throw things into the water to let him hold onto for a float.. and if that failed.. then yes I would jump in and help him as I am a very strong swimmer.

But I WOULD LEAVE YOU TO DROWN..... I would let you drown while standing there watching and recording it on my mobile.... because I know you would not want anyone to help you as you would not want me to merely ingest the water. 

12 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

It would seem that way, but if you were there and saw this happen how willing would you be to jump into that toxic canal? Others have died from merely ingesting the "water".

I would without thinking. I already rescued another thai man's life  from drawning.

But looking at the movie i doubt if any Thai would help me in case i needed it. They just stare a bit and do nothing.

5 hours ago, oldrunner said:

Visitor to Thailand while(st) disembarking from unsafe canal conveyance, inhaled gaseous odor from surrounding scum, fell from the wharf, was crushed between the unsafe canal conveyance and the wharf, fell into the liquid scum and either drowned or was crushed. We'll never know as the Captain fled the scene and rescue workers first had to procure oxygen provided diving gear to dive the 5 feet to remove the killed by drowning man stuck in the mud?

Time to come up for air, old runner. 

Not saying that it would've mattered in this case but are there life preservers on the boats and the piers?  Frankly I've never bothered to look. 

Incredibly enough most Thai don't know how to swim. All of the ones I've met and asked about it said they don't. 

And as for taking a dive into that toxic cesspool, forget about it.  That "noble" act would either kill you or at minimum or severely impact your long-term quality of life. 

4 hours ago, Lex Talionis said:

Not saying that it would've mattered in this case but are there life preservers on the boats and the piers?  Frankly I've never bothered to look. 

Incredibly enough most Thai don't know how to swim. All of the ones I've met and asked about it said they don't. 

And as for taking a dive into that toxic cesspool, forget about it.  That "noble" act would either kill you or at minimum or severely impact your long-term quality of life. 

Do they actually test regularly the canal  flora, I'd be interested  to  see  the actual numbers,  or  the last known numbers,  I've ridden that boat many times, I actually enjoy being on the water, but you do get this drops splashed on one's face or the mist ;   is this because there are are slums disconnected from the sewer system ; or what is the main source  of  toxins ?

8 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I would be more than willing.... even if not to jump into the water.. I would get others to help and call the police.. I would throw things into the water to let him hold onto for a float.. and if that failed.. then yes I would jump in and help him as I am a very strong swimmer.

But I WOULD LEAVE YOU TO DROWN..... I would let you drown while standing there watching and recording it on my mobile.... because I know you would not want anyone to help you as you would not want me to merely ingest the water. 

"But I WOULD LEAVE YOU TO DROWN..... I would let you drown while standing there watching and recording it on my mobile.... because I know you would not want anyone to help you as you would not want me to merely ingest the water. "

Thank you for taking the time to post those few heartfelt words. You will be disappointed to learn that:

a) I never  ride the canal boats.

B) If I was a boat rider, I would have more common sense than to try and leap off a moving vessel onto a possibly slippery dock.   

c) I can swim well enough, so no need for you and your phone video thank you..  

d) People have died from merely ingesting the water. :saai:

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

"But I WOULD LEAVE YOU TO DROWN..... I would let you drown while standing there watching and recording it on my mobile.... because I know you would not want anyone to help you as you would not want me to merely ingest the water. "

Thank you for taking the time to post those few heartfelt words. You will be disappointed to learn that:

a) I never  ride the canal boats.

B) If I was a boat rider, I would have more common sense than to try and leap off a moving vessel onto a possibly slippery dock.   

c) I can swim well enough, so no need for you and your phone video thank you..  

d) People have died from merely ingesting the water. :saai:

Man you sound like a pussy grandma.

There have also been plenty people swimming in the water, especially during the flooding. I see kids swim in it daily, people getting splashed daily as well while sitting in those boats.

Too bad this video stops suddenly, i would like to see what those thai men did after seeing him drawning...

I don't think I'd employ most of you lot for an accident investigation follow up. It would most likely be mostly concerned with the semantics of the English language as a dead body lies in the morgue.  RIP to the poor fellow who lost his step, one would hope his death might at least provide some lessons learned to the canal boat company to avoid reoccurrence, but I doubt it as money talks.

20 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Man you sound like a pussy grandma.

There have also been plenty people swimming in the water, especially during the flooding. I see kids swim in it daily, people getting splashed daily as well while sitting in those boats.

Too bad this video stops suddenly, i would like to see what those thai men did after seeing him drawning...

Hi, pussy grannny here.

Water quality may have improved somewhat but not so long ago, I doubt many kids swam in the klong in the area where this accident took place. It was, perhaps until recently, when they did do some flushing, a black toxic soup. 

https://sites.google.com/site/waterpollutioninbangkok/home/untitledpostthe 

As to the Thai men in the boat, what would you expect them to do? The boatmen were there, it was an accident waiting to happen, again and again. 

23 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Hi, pussy grannny here.

Water quality may have improved somewhat but not so long ago, I doubt many kids swam in the klong in the area where this accident took place. It was, perhaps until recently, when they did do some flushing, a black toxic soup. 

https://sites.google.com/site/waterpollutioninbangkok/home/untitledpostthe 

As to the Thai men in the boat, what would you expect them to do? The boatmen were there, it was an accident waiting to happen, again and again. 

Did you change your diapers already grandma? 

What's wrong with the water? Yes it's black and has bacterials who might cause diarhea OMG!!! You think i'm scared for that if i can save somebody's live?

For the rest i don't read anything dangerous about the water which will kill a swimming person. ALL boattravellers get splashed in their face by this water during the trip, i've never heard of people dieing from that, not even sissy tourists like you.

My wife also couldn't be bothered when she saw the video, yes this is Bangkok she replied...what a shamefull people they are! Those boats are dangerous and they won't do ANYTHING to change it. I bet the captain is still driving the boat today like nothing happened.

The General is busy with Trump and the ricefarmers and in the meantime people drawn while others are watching it....

On the farlangforum they are argueing about the dirty water, it's sooo black OMG! Maybe you even get black skin from it!!

3 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

R.I.P. 

Thais always late and always in a hurry.

I wish  that the people would be little bit more Chai jen jen, like their culture is , was or should be.

Thai's don't give a monkey's toss if they are late, they wear a watch because it looks good.

On 11/10/2016 at 7:25 PM, ratcatcher said:

"BANGKOK: -- A man tragically drowned to death in Saen Saeb Canal  ..."

I assume your grammatically correct sentence is aimed at the author of the article?

..of course.

19 hours ago, Lex Talionis said:

It's funny you should ask about life vests and such.

A few months or so ago they put up huge safety signs on each pier advising passengers how to behave.

Wait for boat to stop

wait for passengers to get off before boarding and so on.

It also mentioned the safety equipment .. something about checking for life vests on the boats and lifebelts on the piers. I noticed that they had a couple of plastic 5 liter bottles attached to a thin rope hanging on the wall.

So to answer your question - yes they did have some life preservers on the pier.:tongue: