Limited mobile phone numbers put on auction, starting at staggering price of 6 million baht

webfact

Limited mobile phone numbers put on auction, starting at staggering price of 6 million baht

450_NBTC.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The reserved and limited seven-digit mobile phone numbers now will become very expensive in this country and even a hundred times costlier than the phone device after the national telecom regulator, the Office of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) says it will sell these limited mobile phone numbers in auction soon.

Minimum price for the phone number with same numbers will start at 6 million baht.

The staggering starting price costs even higher than many homes and luxury automobiles.

According to the NBTC secretary-general Thakorn Tanthasit, there are 16 special mobile numbers set aside for the auction which will be held on Sunday November 27 at the NBTC conference hall.

The auction will be taken in the form of open biddings, he said.

He said that the minimum bid has been set at a breathtaking 6 million baht and the proceeds will be used to supplement state coffers.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/limited-mobile-phone-numbers-put-on-auction-starting-at-staggering-price-of-6-million-baht/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-10

What ever happened to the young Thai university student whose family payed 20 million baht for a license plate number that guaranteed to bring him luck throughout his life some years back? I wonder how that example of Thai stupidity worked out?

... :crazy: ... darn, and i found it to be rather dumb already to fork over up to 3 mil for a Mini, equal to 6 standard pickups, almost.

And 20 for a license-plate, really? Seem to recall the topic, yes, but certainly not that amount, J. Christ ... must be a protective mechanism inbuilt my brain ...

Or calcification. 

1 hour ago, lungnorm said:

Absolutely crazy. Nobody in their right mind will buy. Throw in a Benz car and a nice condo it may attract some sales. Stupid idea thought up by some crazy beaurocrat.

"Nobody in their right mind will buy."

You do realize that many of the very wealthy hi-so types who have had  serious accidents with their cars are typical of the type of people that would think nothing of spending a few million baht on a vanity plate.  Many of them are not in their right mind.

8 hours ago, idman said:

What ever happened to the young Thai university student whose family payed 20 million baht for a license plate number that guaranteed to bring him luck throughout his life some years back? I wonder how that example of Thai stupidity worked out?

Great.

He's rooted every hot chick in the uni cause of it. 

8 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Everything here is based superstition. Rather quaint I think .

The numbers are considered to be 'lucky' according to Bangkok Post and the most expensive one: 099-999-9999 has a reserve price of 20 million baht.

Personally, I wouldn't want a number with repetitive digits: it makes it much more difficult to dial a number when all of them are the same. I had to count how many "2"s there were in this number for example: http://www.buro247.me/lifestyle/news/vip-mobile-numbers-sells-for-2-2-m-at-auction.html

6 million. Some people in this country will be scratching for a 6 baht packet of Mama for dinner. Disgraceful. " proceeds will be used to supplement state coffers." State 'coffers'; mmmm well there's an 'o' in the word I'm thinking of, a 'c'  an 'e' and an 's'. Only three letters missing. :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, idman said:

Why should anything have happened to him?  Didn't that example of "Thai stupidity", as you put it, contribute millions of baht for charity? 

Maybe you're right, though, he couldn't sell the number for more than he paid, could he?

5 hours ago, lungnorm said:

Absolutely crazy. Nobody in their right mind will buy. Throw in a Benz car and a nice condo it may attract some sales. Stupid idea thought up by some crazy beaurocrat.

Let's see who's crazy and stupid after the sale.

1 hour ago, Xircal said:

The numbers are considered to be 'lucky' according to Bangkok Post and the most expensive one: 099-999-9999 has a reserve price of 20 million baht.

Personally, I wouldn't want a number with repetitive digits: it makes it much more difficult to dial a number when all of them are the same. I had to count how many "2"s there were in this number for example: http://www.buro247.me/lifestyle/news/vip-mobile-numbers-sells-for-2-2-m-at-auction.html

How could it be difficult, you wouldn't be dialing it, would you?

26 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

6 million. Some people in this country will be scratching for a 6 baht packet of Mama for dinner. Disgraceful. " proceeds will be used to supplement state coffers." State 'coffers'; mmmm well there's an 'o' in the word I'm thinking of, a 'c'  an 'e' and an 's'. Only three letters missing. :thumbsup:

What's disgraceful is you claiming that it's disgraceful that someone can't spend his or her own money the way they want to.   Hypocrisy comes into it too.

The chances are very high that you've got a lot more money than many, including those trying to buy a packet of noodles for dinner that you used as an example, so isn't it just as disgraceful that you (I'm sure) spend some of your own money on things that you don't actually need that cost a lot more than those noodles?

9 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

How could it be difficult, you wouldn't be dialing it, would you?

I wouldn't be dialling my own number, no, but can imagine the irritation such a number would cause among my friends and that's one of the reasons I wouldn't want a number where one digit is repeated six or seven times.

8 hours ago, gdgbb said:

What's disgraceful is you claiming that it's disgraceful that someone can't spend his or her own money the way they want to.   Hypocrisy comes into it too.

The chances are very high that you've got a lot more money than many, including those trying to buy a packet of noodles for dinner that you used as an example, so isn't it just as disgraceful that you (I'm sure) spend some of your own money on things that you don't actually need that cost a lot more than those noodles?

I think you miss my point. Point being where will the money actually go. State 'coffers' or 'pockets'. Missing letters being p,k and t. Maybe I was being a little to cryptic. :burp:

9 hours ago, Xircal said:

How many times are you going to call yourself?

And how many times are other people once the number is added to contacts?

Thats what amazes me about this vanity; OK, you have the number, but nobody will know or care....................:shock1:

9 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I think you miss my point. Point being where will the money actually go. State 'coffers' or 'pockets'.

Why should the proceeds of a state-organised auction go anywhere else but state coffers as it usually does?

Edited by gdgbb