My Punch Bag.

I bought myself a punch bag and gloves recently. I plan on hanging it on the drive. I have filled it with sand and it now weights somewhere in the region of 100kg. Some guys are coming to make a mounting stanchion for it. I now wonder if I couldn’t fill it with an alternative. I think it needs to be heavy to avoid it swinging too much. I am thinking of removing some sand and adding coconut husks.

Any recommendations?

I bought myself a punch bag and gloves recently. I plan on hanging it on the drive. I have filled it with sand and it now weights somewhere in the region of 100kg. Some guys are coming to make a mounting stanchion for it. I now wonder if I couldn’t fill it with an alternative. I think it needs to be heavy to avoid it swinging too much. I am thinking of removing some sand and adding coconut husks.

Any recommendations?

Cement dust is heavier than sand.

Any recommendations?

I was thinking of something lighter.

Any recommendations?

I was thinking of something lighter.

Feathers? But really - what about rice husks?

I have the feeling you may break your hands if your hitting a sand filled bag. Try putting rags inside it(packed tightly) and you will need to secure it to the floor to stop it swinging. Does it have a small loop stitched on to the bottom for this? If so, get some rubber strap and attatch it to the loop and then secure to the floor.

Edited by soi lurker

To stop it swinging, attach the ring at the top of the bag directly to the bolt it is to be hung from. Any extra chain or rope will make it swing more.

I heard sawdust is a good sand substitute. Should be able to pick it up freely from a sawmill or carpenter.

rags is best bet and you will need to take it down a few times and add more as the first lot settle into the bag

professional punch bags are filled with small pieces of thin leather. i was lucky to get a load to fill my punch bag when i bought it a couple of months ago. rags will also work but they don't have the weight of leather. you have to do a lot of stomping and refilling to achieve a reasonable result.

I had a punching bag custom made to 1.5m X 50cm. I also had some guys build me a steel, L-shaped beam to hold it. I stuffed mine with rags and have added a few more once the initial load settled. My bag now weighs about 140lbs or 63.6kg. If it were any heavier, the cement/tire base of the support beam would bounce around too much. Cement powder may get wet with humidity and solidify which would create a real mess. Sand is too heavy/abrasive. Also, I would keep the bag inside after use unless you're sure the sun and rain won't get to it outside. If left outside for any length of time, the leather will become cracked/abrasive like sandpaper.

Thanks for the advice.

I have had a steel frame constructed and bolted to the wall. I filled the bag with 50/50 sand and coconut husk. I thought it was ok, but after spending 15 minutes on it I came away with skinned knuckles and throbbing hands. I was wearing gloves. I will take it down and remove more sand and add more husks.

I have the feeling you may break your hands if your hitting a sand filled bag. Try putting rags inside it(packed tightly) and you will need to secure it to the floor to stop it swinging. Does it have a small loop stitched on to the bottom for this? If so, get some rubber strap and attatch it to the loop and then secure to the floor.

this is by far the best advice :o

this is by far the best advice :o

i agree.....

rags is best bet and you will need to take it down a few times and add more as the first lot settle into the bag

I agree I had a professional bag in my garage in the UK and it was leather on the outside but was filed with rags and weighed about 100 kgs: I hope this guy has used a bag before? or he can soon damage his hands

Take the bag to the 'BOXING EQUIPMENT' shop on second road and they will do an outstanding job for only 200 baht.....very nice people!

I used it for ten minutes last week. I have been waiting for my knuckles to heal since. :o I have removed a lot of the sand and substituted with coconut husks. But this is still not the best idea. I think I would be best getting someone to fill it for me.

Where is second road? Are there any boxing gyms in Pattaya that might be able to fill it for me?

Take the bag to the 'BOXING EQUIPMENT' shop on second road and they will do an outstanding job for only 200 baht.....very nice people!

I used it for ten minutes last week. I have been waiting for my knuckles to heal since. :o I have removed a lot of the sand and substituted with coconut husks. But this is still not the best idea. I think I would be best getting someone to fill it for me.

Where is second road? Are there any boxing gyms in Pattaya that might be able to fill it for me?

Second road is between beach road and third road,hope it helps,the boxing equipment shop is close to the "MADE IN THAILAND" market.

Take the bag EMPTY there and they will do the job.