Can I obtain a Thai bank account as a tourist?

truthfix

Hello Guys

If I have a METV from UK and am staying in Phuket and looking to obtain extension of stays to take the 6 month visa to a total of 9 months.

Is it possible to get a Thai bank account for the duration? The reason I ask is I have a debit card for UK account but if there is a problem with card etc then it would be problematic to get funds.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

You may be able to get one, are you renting a condo for the 6 months? If so this will make it easier. Will need rental contract, proof of address, passport and if you have a Thai friend they may be able to help translate though many staff in BKK speak English. Try Bangkok Bank first. Also if you bring cash to Thailand you will get a better exchange rate compared with back in the UK. Super Rich Exchange offer one of the best exchange rates, better than the banks here. http://superrichthai.com/exchange 

Just get one in Nakhon Si Thammarat 4 days ago on Exemption Visa I show:

Employement letter from my company in France

Notification of incomes taxes in France as in the form you fill your taxes number is required 

My passport and Thaï gf

Khrungthaï Bank accept to do it but many don't want before 

Bangkok Bank will open a simple normal savings account for you using only a Tourist Visa in your passport. I did this many years ago. I believe nothing has changed.

It was really easy to set up. Took maybe 20 minutes signing various forms. Bangkok Bank prefer to have a Thai "introduce" you to the Bank. Gives you more credibility. My girlfriend (now wife) did this for me, as she was an existing customer of the same branch.

Account only needed 300 baht deposit to activate immediately. 

I'm very happy with this passbook account. It's full function, debit card, foreign exchange, local ATM, online. Easy.

You MUST make sure the account name is in YOUR name only. No exceptions. This will be important later if you decide to upgrade to a long term visa with extensions of stay. Also, make sure the account address is YOUR place. Not your girlfriend's family address. That way, you'll get first look at your private bank mail.

Archived