Two Thai families make it to Forbes’ list of ‘Richest Families in Asia'

webfact

Two Thai families make it to Forbes’ list of ‘Richest Families in Asia'

By Coconuts Bangkok 

chirathivat.jpg

The Chirathivat family. Photo: Rabbitstatic

BANGKOK: -- Yesterday, Forbes Asia released their latest list of the 50 richest families in Asia for 2016. Two Thai families, Chearavanont and Chirathivat, were named among them.

Combined, the 50 families hold a jaw-dropping USD519 billion (THB18,289 billion).

At the top of the list is the same family that held the position last year. The Samsung founders, a South Korean family that goes by the name of Lee, boasts a fortune of THB1,043 billion. Last year, they only had a paltry THB937.38 billion.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/11/11/two-thai-families-make-it-forbes-richest-family-asia-list

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-11-11

I have never heard of very wealthy Thais donating their fortune for the good of mankind or

even their own country.  Unlike Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Warren Buffett and many other very wealthy

people from western countries who have essentially donated all their wealth for various causes.

Edited by koolkarl

2 minutes ago, koolkarl said:

I have never heard of very wealthy Thais donating their fortune for the good of mankind or

even their own country.  Unlike Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Warren Buffett and many other very wealthy

people from western countries.

I've never heard of you before either, is that meaningful!

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Last year, they only had a paltry THB937.38 billion.

I can understand why. When you produce a phone that catches fire and need to recall thousands of wash machines something is definitely wrong in your R & D department. Maybe increased pressure on parts manufacturers for your products (the outsourcers) like make a better product for less money finally made them crack and they said the unmentionable F word and decided to stick it to you. It happened to General Motors years ago and their recalls went through the roof. Welcome to the world of cheapness. 

56 minutes ago, koolkarl said:

people from western countries who have essentially donated all their wealth for various causes.

The ones you quote are american and we all know americans love attention and ego flattering... there are plenty of good samaritans doing philanthropy anonymously... ah. Americans... highfiving. Loud. Needing so much attention all the time... a bit like their president. 55555555

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

I can understand why. When you produce a phone that catches fire and need to recall thousands of wash machines something is definitely wrong in your R & D department. Maybe increased pressure on parts manufacturers for your products (the outsourcers) like make a better product for less money finally made them crack and they said the unmentionable F word and decided to stick it to you. It happened to General Motors years ago and their recalls went through the roof. Welcome to the world of cheapness. 

Welcome to the world of cheapness. 

Or, as a well-off friend of mine once said: "I am not rich enough to buy cheap stuff!"

2 hours ago, koolkarl said:

There's no reason that should you have heard if they do or not, just because a small handful of even richer Americans shout about it.   And why should they, are you leaving denying your family any inheritance there may be by giving all you have away?  I bet you're not and it doesn't matter whether you're a billionaire or not, the principal is the same.

Not all Americans are loud and boisterous. As far as who is President that is America's business. I resent people stereotyping every person of a country based upon  a limited umber of contacts or what one reads in the press. I am an American and criticize my own countrymen when they need it but you don't know every American - so I suggest you may want to reevaluate your prejudices. Your post is offensive but I have no resentment against your country or persons of your nationality.

18 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Not all Americans are loud and boisterous. As far as who is President that is America's business. I resent people stereotyping every person of a country based upon  a limited umber of contacts or what one reads in the press. I am an American and criticize my own countrymen when they need it but you don't know every American - so I suggest you may want to reevaluate your prejudices. Your post is offensive but I have no resentment against your country or persons of your nationality.

As far as who is the American President is the world's business!!

The election of Trump has already greatly impacted on the world's economy, and if he lives up to his electioneering promises, he may well start a trade war, a recession or even nuclear war.

America has been leader of the free world for far too long for one bigoted isolationist to turn it all off without huge consequences!

4 hours ago, koolkarl said:

All those people you mention do their best to avoid paying taxes. Nothing special about any of them.

My post was directed at stereotyping of Americans as all the same.  Who we vote for is our business and we will not be lectured by others who have no vote in American elections on who we should vote for.. Now regarding your  comments on President Elect Trump. I did not vote for him but your fears are over blown. In fact, the stock markets are reacting favorably to his agenda. 

The fact is that Europe and Asia  have all gotten a free ride off America providing security so their economies can expand while my fellow Americans  are losing their jobs .  Trump is asking for fair play and for other countries that want American security protection to start paying their fair share and increasing their own military expenditures. You will find that he won't be starting any wars but he will not allow countries to harbor terrorists and invite them into America. Europe is a ticking time bomb because a variety of governments to include German, France and the UK have allowed unfettered Immigration and asylum. Why do you think the British have opted out of the EU. The Brits are as irritated as the Americans.

I didn't vote for Trump but I want to give him a chance . If he doesn't produce he will get voted out. It's call Democracy.

Edited by Thaidream

'Thai families', hmm? By the ID-card and passport no doubt, but... pure Chinese for all the rest, and only concerned about true, real Thais for milking them one way or, and/or, another? Despicable bunch of (very clever and organised) vampires, IMO. Though, as those Chinese parasites seem to be everywhere nowadays, great efforts are made to banalise their presence, and abuses. And I don't think it's going to change any time soon, even when the popular masses in P.R.(what's in a name!?) China will, endly, succeed breaking through the pseudo-communist grip to fight for their rights... 

'At the origin of every large fortune there is, at least, one small dishonesty' I've been taught when I was quite young. With my father, and grand'father's extensive general culture, I have been learning what was behind the wealth of many families which 'wowed' me with their wealth as a teenager in the materialistic world I was born in...

Who am I, yes, of course, no doubt...

But look at what has happened to some of the-Great-of-this World, just to name one close to most of us:  to the theory of 'sufficiency economy' created by the, alas late, King of Thailand, H.M. Bhumibol, it is visionary, it has everything in itself to bring happiness, health and progress to the masses, to create and maintain sustainable activities for/by the, extended, human population, while respecting nature and the planet which has to carry all of us, you name it, ...and still, what has become of it!? IMHO, shot, in the egg, not given the slightest chance, even in His own Thailand, ...because of greed, yes, money and power, power and money, the only 'principles' ruling over today's World, largely thanks to the all-mighty (ultra-)capitalism 'our' American 'friends' have spread over the whole planet!   

On 11-11-2016 at 3:37 PM, yellowboat said:

CP find least irritating. They still humbly sell chicken around the corner all over Asia, sometimes out front of their offices in Cambodia and China. They wheel the carts out at night and start frying.  The rest are pretty horrible.

Sorry 'yellowboat', but when you seriously mean what you wrote, you're an ...egg. As, can we consider you never heard of the, strangling' monopolistic position of the CP group in sectors of national importance in Thailand(*): Tesco, 7-Eleven, Makro: CP; eggs, chicken, pork: CP; livestock and poultry, eggs: CP; animal feeders: CP; corn, wheat, rice, ...: CP; etc. Mind you, there is an anti-monopolistic institution in Thailand, for some years now, was (very carefully and at a safe distance), a bit, 'busy' with a few 'possible' cases, but, till today, never, ever came up with any in-depth 'investigation', nor, in all logic(?) to a single one formal 'complaint' against any company/group/concern...

...While in the economy of modern countries it is a  general, common sense, principle to take measures against any 'construction' considered to possibly acquire a 'dominant position' of 20%, or above, of marketshare...

Go figure...

(* not speaking of the, more recent, 'efforts' of CP in a same direction in neighbouring countries)

All IMO, of course, ...and as farang mai rhu luang...

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2016 at 2:39 PM, koolkarl said:

I personally know one of the family members from the Chirathivat family, they are very generous and hard working people who built their fortune from ground up and did not rely on the government or having a monopoly. Perhaps they are not as generous as Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg who are worth how many times more? Nonetheless it doesn't make them less of a person. They run a lot of charity events and offer their venues (Central World) free for use for a good causes.

The Giving Pledge you are referring to, many don't donate all of their wealth, people don't say how much they will pledge, but its at least half of their wealth. Its only a pledge, but donors still do whatever and donate however they want, its not regulated in anyway. Not trying to discredit the foundation, they are still doing a great thing trying to get billionaires to donate more.