New Re-Entry Permit rules?

Hi All,

Has anyone gotten a re-entry permit at Chiang Mai airport lately? I mean just prior to flying. The office there is supposed to be open 24/7 but I've been hearing all kinds of contradictory info lately and I'm hoping someone who has ACTUALLY gotten a re-entry permit at CM airport in the past few weeks can advise if nothing has change, and that their hours are still 24/7.

I've done this in Bkk just before a flight late at night on the weekend and no problem.

But I've heard lately that there are new and difficult rules for getting a re-entry permit. The person who told me said they want a letter from landlord and other documents.

thanks for any help

Edited by GoldenTriangle

I suspect this is confusion between:

• Getting a re-entry permit after checking in for an international flight at the airport, using the immigration actually inside the airport.
  • Getting a re-entry permit from the Chiang Mai immigration office near the airport during normal office hours.

The rules in the two cases will be quite different. I have no personal experience of applying for a re-entry permit in Chiang Mai under either scenario. I suggest you call airport (inside the airport) immigration and ask them.

2 minutes ago, GoldenTriangle said:

He apparently required a letter from landlord. Ive never heard of this.

Nothing new. It is a TM30 form they want at an immigration office.

Download form: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm30.pdf

It certainly would not be asked for at a re-entry permit desk at an airport.

• Like 1

i did a re-entry at Prom about a week ago, no other requirements just the fill up the given forms....in and out about 15 minutes..

did the TM30  at the airport office three days after arrival from overseas....told the immi it's a up-date..i have  the previous slip attached to my passport....in and out lest than 10 mins, they just initialled my slip with the date of my arrival...of course they went through their computer.:smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing new. It is a TM30 form they want at an immigration office.

Download form: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm30.pdf

It certainly would not be asked for at a re-entry permit desk at an airport.

Not actually related to CM immigration (my apologies if this is considered hijacking), but if I obtain the re-entry permit at the airport (Swampy) and have stayed at a hotel near the airport the night before due to early departure of my flight and not at my home, would I need to give them the address of the Hotel on the TM8 rather than my regular registered place (as the hotel certainly will register me online upon checking in, and then my registration at my regular home is VOID). Does anybody have experience with such a scenario ?

35 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

Not actually related to CM immigration (my apologies if this is considered hijacking), but if I obtain the re-entry permit at the airport (Swampy) and have stayed at a hotel near the airport the night before due to early departure of my flight and not at my home, would I need to give them the address of the Hotel on the TM8 rather than my regular registered place (as the hotel certainly will register me online upon checking in, and then my registration at my regular home is VOID). Does anybody have experience with such a scenario ?

You would use your home address on the form. Re-entry permit offices at airports do not care about what address is on the form since you are leaving the country. That is why you need a boarding pass to get it.

Staying at hotel does not void out your original address used at your home immigration office. Hotel reports are kept in a different database.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would use your home address on the form. Re-entry permit offices at airports do not care about what address is on the form since you are leaving the country. That is why you need a boarding pass to get it.

Staying at hotel does not void out your original address used at your home immigration office. Hotel reports are kept in a different database.

They use two different databases? That's interesting. But why so many here in TV report that their immi office tells them they need to register with a TM30 at their regular place again every time after staying at another place or hotel for just a night or two  {-_-}

8 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

They use two different databases? That's interesting. But why so many here in TV report that their immi office tells them they need to register with a TM30 at their regular place again every time after staying at another place or hotel for just a night or two  {-_-}

Yes 2 databases.  In order to know you had stayed in a hotel they would have to search that data base.

The offices that say you need to do a new TM30 form are wrong in their interpretation of the rule.

Most offices only want one if you change your permanent address that is maintained in the data base they enter your extensions and etc in.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GoldenTriangle said:

The person who told me had gone to immigration office at Promenada, not at airport.

He apparently required a letter from landlord. Ive never heard of this.

I think best solution is to go to CM airport immigration myself a couple days before my flight and ask them. I'll post the results.

You won't be able to do that.  The area where you purchase the re-entry permit is after security and prior to passport control.  You can't access it without your boarding pass in hand.