Re-Entry Permit at Chiang Mai Airport

Following on from the recent topic on re-entry permits and residency notifications: I've just used my single entry permit going to Vietnam - got back yesterday afternoon - and so we went immediately to the old airport immigration office, building 3, at the back, to notify them of residency, as required by law, supposedly within 24 hours. The officer entered my passport details in their computer system and looked at my existing slip from the previous notification and that was it! Done and dusted in minutes, but no new slip - just noted in their computer. The senior officer there told my Thai partner that there is no need to do it within 24 hours as they originally stated when all this blew up a couple of months back once you're in their computer -  a few days late is ok.

Now I need some definitive answer regarding obtaining my next re-entry permit as we go to Cambodia next, on 12th December - the flights at about 10:30am and as this is a Monday am I safe in thinking the immigration counter at the international airport security check-in will be open and can issue this permit?

For the 1st time I didn't buy a multiple re-entry permit when I was at Promenada to renew my extension of stay on retirement grounds because I only went abroad twice last year so it was a waste of money at 3,800 baht!

Maybe I'll regret that decision if I now need to go to Promenada at some ungodly hour in the morning to get my next permit! Please can someone knowledgeable tell me otherwise?!

You don't need to go to Promenada at an ungodly hour to get a re-entry permit.  The queue for this service isn't long.  Sometime around 9 am should be just fine.

As for getting a re-entry permit at CM airport -- only if there is code sharing on your CM flight and you check-in for the international portion at CNX will you be able to access the area where you can purchase a re-entry permit.  If that's the case, then yes, you'll be able to purchase a re-entry permit because they have Immigration staff at work on the podiums checking people out of the country, looking for overstays, etc.  They'll be more than willing to take your money for a re-entry permit.

Otherwise, if your flight from CNX to BKK is domestic, you could purchase a re-entry permit at BKK, but you'd better hope you don't have a tight connection.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2016 at 1:26 PM, NancyL said:

You don't need to go to Promenada at an ungodly hour to get a re-entry permit.  The queue for this service isn't long.  Sometime around 9 am should be just fine.

As for getting a re-entry permit at CM airport -- only if there is code sharing on your CM flight and you check-in for the international portion at CNX will you be able to access the area where you can purchase a re-entry permit.  If that's the case, then yes, you'll be able to purchase a re-entry permit because they have Immigration staff at work on the podiums checking people out of the country, looking for overstays, etc.  They'll be more than willing to take your money for a re-entry permit.

Otherwise, if your flight from CNX to BKK is domestic, you could purchase a re-entry permit at BKK, but you'd better hope you don't have a tight connection.

Thanks Nancy. Much appreciated. My forthcoming Cambodian trip is not a booked-thru' trip so I won't be going through International check-in - a good job you mentioned this - I'd forgotten that!

Ok - sounds like Promenada won't be too bad after all - cheers for that!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, millwall_fan said:

Does anyone know what the queues are like at Promenada now that the Airport office is closed? I have a colleague who  needs to get a re-entry permit in the morning. Thanks for any advice.

Today they closed the ticket q in the afternoon as too many people. However, any that went in the morning got a ticket.

If needs a ticket for the morning better go early to be sure.

On ‎12‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 1:26 PM, NancyL said:

That's good to know, thanks. I do have a Thai Air flight from Chiang Mai transiting at Bkk to get an outward Thai Air flight.

Is there any way to purchase a re entry at Bkk, if transiting and not going through immigration, in case of not enough time in C M?

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's good to know, thanks. I do have a Thai Air flight from Chiang Mai transiting at Bkk to get an outward Thai Air flight.

Is there any way to purchase a re entry at Bkk, if transiting and not going through immigration, in case of not enough time in C M?

If you are clearing immigration in Chiang Mai you can get a re-entry permit at the airport there. You would not be able to get one in Bangkok since you will be transiting in Bangkok.

The re-entry permit office in Bangkok is located in the departure hall.

If you clear Immigration in Chiang Mai, then you should purchase your re-entry permit in Chiang Mai because at BKK you'll be routed thru the maze as an international transit passenger and you won't have any further contact with Thai immigration.  They don't let you wander around BKK once you've cleared Imm. in Chiang Mai because that would contaminate your security clearance.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are clearing immigration in Chiang Mai you can get a re-entry permit at the airport there. You would not be able to get one in Bangkok since you will be transiting in Bangkok.

The re-entry permit office in Bangkok is located in the departure hall.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, NancyL said:

If you clear Immigration in Chiang Mai, then you should purchase your re-entry permit in Chiang Mai because at BKK you'll be routed thru the maze as an international transit passenger and you won't have any further contact with Thai immigration.  They don't let you wander around BKK once you've cleared Imm. in Chiang Mai because that would contaminate your security clearance.

Thank you, too.

The morale of the story is either get to the Chiang Mai airport with plenty of time to purchase a re-entry permit or plan a visit to Promenada Mall.  The new Star Wars movie should be in the cinema staring around December 15th and Dukes, Ragu and Wine Connection are always good for a nice lunch.   Plus, I've found some good buys on home appliances and electronics at Chi Chang.  I think they need the customers.  Surely, a day at Promenada Mall won't be too onerous.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your posts, my colleague had to wait a considerable amount of time for her re-entry permit, which is fine is you are not working, but she is! Understandably many people simply don't trust immigration so don't want to leave things to chance at CM airport, even though most people seem to thing its safe to do so.