Retirement Visa Latest + Some Questions.

Rempler:

1. I would use one address, even if just part of wife family. But suspect you can just report where you are at the time without a problem. But explaining might be more trouble, for everyone, than it is worth.

2. A multi re-entry permit is a routine function - everyone who wants gets.

3. Fixed deposit accounts have been used but not sure of foreign currenty and suspect some officers might read rule of 800k baht as written in stone.

VBF:

You need 800k in a Thai bank account to change your visa. It does not have to conform to the new 3 month rule. The requirements are:

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O) FOR RETIREMENT PURPOSES.

Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Copy of passport entries.

4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

A bank statement from a bank in Thailand showing that the applicant has an account of not less than 800,000 bath. Or

A guarantor-letter from The Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension of the applicant not less than 65,000 baht per month.Or

Evidence proving that the total amount of money from the pension and bank account amounts to the sum stated above.(800,000 baht)

Remarks

The applicant must sign every page of application.

The visa applicant must arrange the documents in proper order and must prepare the originals as proof.

Call 02-2873101-10 ext.2237 for details.

Hi PEddy,

I changed my O visa to a retirement visa last August and its quite simple. I went to the IM Office near Bang Saeng and they were most helpful although you need to speak Thai so take someone with you!!

The retirement visa overides your original 12 month visa and all you have to do is go to your local IM Office before the 90 days stamp is up and you just complete a basic form and they then stamp your passport for a further 90 days. It has been confirmed by 2 different IM Offices that I do not need to leave the Country. The only thing you must remember is that if you overstay the 90 days you have to start all over again and leave the Country then reapply so keep a careful watch on the dates. The other thing you must remember is that if you intend to travel outside the Country you must visit your local IM Office and get a visa beforehand otherwise you go back to scratch again once you leave. There is no charge for changing your visa.

Regarding the money, it is easier to have 800,000 THB in a local Bank on a savings account then all you need do is to get a standard letter from the Bank (not Bank statement) for which they charge about 250 THB. The letter must be dated within a day or 2 of you visiting the IM Office. Relying on proof of income I cannot help you with as I did not go down that route.

Most Hospitals have a standard form which the IM Office require so dont go to a private Doctor and waste your money. You have a urine and blood test along with a chest xray and they normally check your blood pressure as well. The local Hospital in Korat charged 600 THB and it was all done and dusted within about 3 hours.

Finally, photocopy everything at least twice including your passport and sign each copy. They may not ask for 2 but if they do it is a pain in the backside having to go and find a copier then come back again.

Hope this is of help.

Nobber9999

I am currently working in a gvment school with 1 year visa/WP all sorted out. However, I am fed up and may change to Retirement Visa in a few months. Has anyone done this? Presumably there are no problems in principle?

I went to Immig. today and spoke to a nice official.

She confirmed that:

You don't need medical cert now.

You don't need letter from Embassy or Police re. criminal record.

You do need a letter from your Embassy if you want to prove the 65,000 p.m. pension.

Can anyone answer these questions.....

Can the 65,000 income be made up partially or wholly from investment income and not a gvment pension? I get a small pension, much less than 65,000 a month, but have other income from funds and building society.

If the above is allowable, will the Brit Embassy need proof before they notarize the letter of income which I must take to Immig?

Prsumably with monthly income over 65,000, a bank transfer is not needed?

If any amount of bank transfer is needed (200k or 800k), is the new 3 month rule "gospel" ? The official didn't mention that the money must have been in for 3 months already.

Someone in my soi told me that if I get the Ret Visa, I have to go out every 90 days. Surely they meant 90 day notification only?

Excuse my newbieness!

Thanks

PEddy.

Regarding the above post:

1. There is no longer the need for any medical certificate.

2. There is a fee of 1,900 baht to extend your stay (form TM.7).

3. You should obtain a permitted to stay stamp for one year from your last date of entry (not 90 days).

4. 90 days applies to reporting your address - you do not have to start anything over if you forget but you will be fined 2,000 baht.

5. The bank letter should be current within 7 days and should match last entry on bank passbook.

6. The 800k must have been in your account for the preceding 3 months (new rule).

7. To travel outside Thailand you must obtain a re entry permit prior to leaving. There is a charge of 1,000 baht each time.

Re application for 'Retirement visa', some personal info from my own experience in Hua-Hin in the last month.

My wife and I recently applied for our retirement visas at the Immigration Office in HH, having obtained our 'police records' in the UK cost £10 (7,000Baht each),and had them both 'Notarised' at cost of some £100 (70,000Baht). The 'Notarised' documents were then required to be 'Legalised' at the Thai Embassy in Hull at a cost of £25 each (17,000Baht). We obtained our 'Multiple Entry Visas' at the same time at £100 each (£90+£10 for applying 'in person' at Hull) and off we went to Thailand clutching all our papers!

Arrived at the Immigration Dept in HH, who were extremely helpful and told us to come back the next day with our documents and a single copy of every page of our passports.

We had deposited 1.8m Bathts by Telex transfer into our bank account (opened January 2006), the previous day or two - late, because of a problem with the Siam Bank not transfering the money into our joint account because, I (like many foreigners) have a 'middle name', which they took for my surname and therefore could not find the correct account - even though they had all the other details correctly- so another lesson learnt; do not use your middle name on any documents unless strictly necessary, otherwise it will cause confusion in Thailand.

We duly had all the passport pages copied and presented ourselves at the Immigration Dept the next day.

The officer looked at our page copies of our passports and told us they were not necessary and then proceeded to go away and copy the one and only page he was interested in - the page with the picture on and gave us all our copies back. He inspected our passbook, along with the letter from the bank we had obtained the previous day, confirming that the amount in the passbook was correct ( which if I remember correctly cost us the princely sum of 200 Baht). He then came to the very costly 'Police records' and gave us this funny quizical look-"What are these for he asked? I don't need them!" - Well, if you could have seen our faces :o ! What a waste of time, effort and money.

He looked carefully at the 'Bank deposit' and all the other bits and pieces, that we had filled in and was just about to give us the 'Retirement Visa's' when - Sorry, you cannot have the RV's, because you have not been in the Kingdom 60 days- after which we can apply-Unfortunately we were only going to be in the Kingdom for a max of 28 days.

So folks, here we are back in the UK, just sorting out our belongings to be shipped to Thailand and our new house/retirement in HH.

I can only say that the Immigration Dept at HH were extremely courteous and helpful and I don't beleive that you would have any problems dealing with them from our own experience,as long as you have all the necessary documents. I'll do another post when we have applied again after the 60 days.

P.S. Again, as mentioned in previous posts, and I make no apology for reiterating this as we were confused about this. WHEN you have your Retirement Visa you MUST obtain a RE-ENTRY VISA single or multiple (2,000 or 9,000 Baht I think) otherwise, when you leave the country the RV becomes invalid and you will have to go through the procedure ALL OVER AGAIN.

Sorry the post is so long and probably only repeats what thousand of others have already posted before, but I just thought that I would give our own story from start to finish in one post and hope that it will be helpfull to others.

Re application for 'Retirement visa', some personal info from my own experience in Hua-Hin in the last month.

My wife and I recently applied for our retirement visas at the Immigration Office in HH, having obtained our 'police records' in the UK cost £10 (7,000Baht each),and had them both 'Notarised' at cost of some £100 (70,000Baht). The 'Notarised' documents were then required to be 'Legalised' at the Thai Embassy in Hull at a cost of £25 each (17,000Baht). We obtained our 'Multiple Entry Visas' at the same time at £100 each (£90+£10 for applying 'in person' at Hull) and off we went to Thailand clutching all our papers!

Arrived at the Immigration Dept in HH, who were extremely helpful and told us to come back the next day with our documents and a single copy of every page of our passports.

We had deposited 1.8m Bathts by Telex transfer into our bank account (opened January 2006), the previous day or two - late, because of a problem with the Siam Bank not transfering the money into our joint account because, I (like many foreigners) have a 'middle name', which they took for my surname and therefore could not find the correct account - even though they had all the other details correctly- so another lesson learnt; do not use your middle name on any documents unless strictly necessary, otherwise it will cause confusion in Thailand.

We duly had all the passport pages copied and presented ourselves at the Immigration Dept the next day.

The officer looked at our page copies of our passports and told us they were not necessary and then proceeded to go away and copy the one and only page he was interested in - the page with the picture on and gave us all our copies back. He inspected our passbook, along with the letter from the bank we had obtained the previous day, confirming that the amount in the passbook was correct ( which if I remember correctly cost us the princely sum of 200 Baht). He then came to the very costly 'Police records' and gave us this funny quizical look-"What are these for he asked? I don't need them!" - Well, if you could have seen our faces :o ! What a waste of time, effort and money.

He looked carefully at the 'Bank deposit' and all the other bits and pieces, that we had filled in and was just about to give us the 'Retirement Visa's' when - Sorry, you cannot have the RV's, because you have not been in the Kingdom 60 days- after which we can apply-Unfortunately we were only going to be in the Kingdom for a max of 28 days.

So folks, here we are back in the UK, just sorting out our belongings to be shipped to Thailand and our new house/retirement in HH.

I can only say that the Immigration Dept at HH were extremely courteous and helpful and I don't beleive that you would have any problems dealing with them from our own experience,as long as you have all the necessary documents. I'll do another post when we have applied again after the 60 days.

P.S. Again, as mentioned in previous posts, and I make no apology for reiterating this as we were confused about this. WHEN you have your Retirement Visa you MUST obtain a RE-ENTRY VISA single or multiple (2,000 or 9,000 Baht I think) otherwise, when you leave the country the RV becomes invalid and you will have to go through the procedure ALL OVER AGAIN.

Sorry the post is so long and probably only repeats what thousand of others have already posted before, but I just thought that I would give our own story from start to finish in one post and hope that it will be helpfull to others.

Thanks for sharing

You wrote

Sorry, you cannot have the RV's, because you have not been in the Kingdom 60 days- after which we can apply-Unfortunately we were only going to be in the Kingdom for a max of 28 days.

Just so you know, if you show your plane tickets leaving in 28 days. Immigration then in most cases, will issue the extension of stay that day.

So, is the situation that, at this time, you do not need any money in the bank to convert a Tourist visa to an "O" but you do need to have 800K in the bank for 3 months to extend the "O" for retirement?

You need to have 800K money in the bank or a pension of 65K per month. If you are changing the visa and using money, it only has to be in the bank for one day versus 90 days which is required for the extension of stay.

If this is not the situation, what is it please?? If this is the situation do you have a feeling for whether this is now going to remain the case? I'm travelling to Thailand in January and need to make my choice of Visa very soon!!!

The change of visa section regulations will one day be the same as the extension of stay regulations. No idea if this will be before Jan.

I changed my O visa to a retirement visa last August and its quite simple

You did a extension of stay from a "O" visa. You did not change the visa as this is the class visa, you can do the extension of stay based on retirement from. With the regulations being so different, this is a very important difference.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Extension of stay... yes

Change of visa ( tourist, 30 day tourist visa exemption stamp to a "O" visa).... no

The investment income (and pension) I get is not paid into a Thai bank...it continues to be paid into a UK bank, and I take cash from the wall here. Can I leave that stand? I do spend most or all of the cash here.

You do not need to spend all or most of the cash here.

You advise resigning once I have the embassy letter. Is that letter good for 3 months? My notice period from job is 3 mths, and I am not sure if i can shorten this. I may need to ask u more about a logical timetable for all this.

The letter is good for three months.

Do I have a "grey area" of 7 days after I hand in the WP? So, I can hand in the WP and then wait a few days?

You will have 7 days to apply for the change of visa. More than 7 days in Thailand without changing the extension or leaving Thailand, you will be considered on overstay and fined 500 Baht per day.

Finally, I would be interested to know what your firm would charge for handling this process from to A to Z

Change of visa... Our professional fees are 3,900 Baht Government fees are 2,000 Baht

Extension of stay... professional fees are 6,500 Baht Government fees are 1,900 Baht

If you need a reentry permit. The government fee is 1,000 Baht for a single entry, 3,800 Baht for a multi entry.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

So, is the situation that, at this time, you do not need any money in the bank to convert a Tourist visa to an "O" but you do need to have 800K in the bank for 3 months to extend the "O" for retirement?

You need to have 800K money in the bank or a pension of 65K per month. If you are changing the visa and using money, it only has to be in the bank for one day versus 90 days which is required for the extension of stay.

If this is not the situation, what is it please?? If this is the situation do you have a feeling for whether this is now going to remain the case? I'm travelling to Thailand in January and need to make my choice of Visa very soon!!!

The change of visa section regulations will one day be the same as the extension of stay regulations. No idea if this will be before Jan.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks again Sunbelt! (They still haven't nailed those goalposts down, have they?!) :o

VBF

You can travel as often and a long as you like. But you need a re entry permit to keep the extension alive.

So according to you - you can travel as often as you like for as long as you like within the validity of the re-entry permit.

Just ignore the report to IMM office every 90 days? Is that right?

Re-entry permit has nothing to do with reporting address every 90 days. You report address with TM.47 only if you stay in Thailand longer than 90 days at any one stay. Each time you return you fill out a TM.6 arrival card and that starts a new 90 day count. If you leave before the 90 days you do not report.

The re-entry permit will be for the same time period as your extension of stay and yes you can travel when and as often as you like (assuming it is the multi type).

One of my canadian friend submitted the original copy of his Assesment Notice of his income tax report for the year before, which included all of his revenues to the Canadian Embassy who accepted this document in order to issue the necessary lettre. Check with your embassy, this might work for you too.

lopburi. I am referring to Non Imm O Retirement visa.

Some non professionals do not know what a TM47 is.

So let me phrase it in simple terms that maybe you are capable of responding.

Hypothetical. I reside in Thailand on a Non Imm O retirement visa. Do I need to report my address to immigration Suan Plu every 90 days or not? Thanks

Today I have been to Pattaya Immigration to renew my Retirement Visa and have been refused.

I took my passport, copies of passport, photos (4x6 cm), letter from Kasikorn Bank confirming 800,000 baht in bank account and marriage certificate confirming my wife as dependent.

I was refused based on the fact that the Kasikorn bank account is an "Income Fund". This income fund was suggested to me 2 and a half years a go when I told the bank that I needed to put 800,000 baht into an account that I would use for my Retirement visa application. No problem there sir! I was told. Last year when I applied for my retirement visa this same income fund account was acceptable. This year it is not because I was told the rules have changed since 02 October. The only acceptable account would be a Kasikorn "Savings deposit passbook account" or similar account with another bank. I was advised to transfer the money into this account then come back and my visa would be renewed.

This was easier said than done as Kasikorn have explained to me today that the fund matures in 5.4 years and it can not be broken (even with penalty) or transferred to another internal account. Can you imagine my horrow. Despite spending 2 hours in the bank today the only possibilty I have is if a customer of theirs wishes to buy my fund ( I did advise I would accept 790,000 baht for it). I am stressed and upset as it was the bank who suggested this account as I was not going to use it for anything but the retirement visa application. I may now have to find another 800,000 baht to create another account but this is something I don't want to do or feel obligated to do. I am going to appeal to immigration on wednesday but have a negative feeling about this. I find it absolutely unbelievable that having 800,000 baht tied up in an account is not good enough for a visa. I am also looking at getting a loan for a few days just to show that 800,000 is in the right account as all he wants to see is the book with the amount written in. I am not happy as I have not seen anything in writing which has changed since October 02 in terms of what type of account is acceptable.

If there are any suggestions please advise as my visa expires on 08 December.

Also I saw this quote earlier:-

3. Due to the (at least for my very personal logic) foreseeable further decline of the US-$ over the upcoming years [NOT versus THB, but towards other "global" currencies], I intend to open an Euro-account at Kasikorn, worth >/= 800.000 THB. They agreed already, but ....

QUESTION: Does anybody have an indication if such an interest-focussed account may not at the same time serve as the "guarantee"-account for the Immigration administration ?

I would suggest based on my experience today that a Euro account would not be sufficient to enable a retirement visa to be granted.

Today I have been to Pattaya Immigration to renew my Retirement Visa and have been refused.

I took my passport, copies of passport, photos (4x6 cm), letter from Kasikorn Bank confirming 800,000 baht in bank account and marriage certificate confirming my wife as dependent.

I was refused based on the fact that the Kasikorn bank account is an "Income Fund". This income fund was suggested to me 2 and a half years a go when I told the bank that I needed to put 800,000 baht into an account that I would use for my Retirement visa application. No problem there sir! I was told. Last year when I applied for my retirement visa this same income fund account was acceptable. This year it is not because I was told the rules have changed since 02 October. The only acceptable account would be a Kasikorn "Savings deposit passbook account" or similar account with another bank. I was advised to transfer the money into this account then come back and my visa would be renewed.

This was easier said than done as Kasikorn have explained to me today that the fund matures in 5.4 years and it can not be broken (even with penalty) or transferred to another internal account. Can you imagine my horrow. Despite spending 2 hours in the bank today the only possibilty I have is if a customer of theirs wishes to buy my fund ( I did advise I would accept 790,000 baht for it). I am stressed and upset as it was the bank who suggested this account as I was not going to use it for anything but the retirement visa application. I may now have to find another 800,000 baht to create another account but this is something I don't want to do or feel obligated to do. I am going to appeal to immigration on wednesday but have a negative feeling about this. I find it absolutely unbelievable that having 800,000 baht tied up in an account is not good enough for a visa. I am also looking at getting a loan for a few days just to show that 800,000 is in the right account as all he wants to see is the book with the amount written in. I am not happy as I have not seen anything in writing which has changed since October 02 in terms of what type of account is acceptable.

3. Due to the (at least for my very personal logic) foreseeable further decline of the US-$ over the upcoming years [NOT versus THB, but towards other "global" currencies], I intend to open an Euro-account at Kasikorn, worth >/= 800.000 THB. They agreed already, but ....

QUESTION: Does anybody have an indication if such an interest-focussed account may not at the same time serve as the "guarantee"-account for the Immigration administration ?

I would suggest based on my experience today that a Euro account would not be sufficient to enable a retirement visa to be granted.

Worth a trip up to BKK. The professional fee is 3,900 Baht. Government fee is 1,900 Baht. No charge if you don't get the extension.

You cannot use a euro acct for the retirement extension.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I had the same experience and near refusal two weeks ago in Mai Sai for my retirement visa. I have 1 million Baht in a term deposit account specifiaclly for my yearly retirement visa. Luckily the term is 9 months and expires end of December. After some lengthy polite pleading and bringing the wife and 3 year old son into the office they finally granted the retirement visa. So there seems to be some discretion on this. Just to be sure next year I will not renew the term deposit but just turn it into a regular savings account.

As for you borrowing the money for the short term, you may have problems as they are supposedly checking if this money is still on deposit 3 months after you get your visa. This is supposed to eliminate the shell game with people borrowing money for a day to get the visa and returning it the next. If you all of a sudden pop up with 800K they may question where it came from. I would pursue this with Bangkok and keep your cool. I know it is an absurd rule. Good Luck

dalmatian:

Is your account really a "deposit" or "term deposit" type account or is it some form of mutual fund program from the bank? I suspect most immigration offices would have a problem with a non deposit type account.

dotcom:

If you are outside of Thailand when a 90 day report is due you do not report. You next report 90 days after your return.

Sunbelt, thanks for your reply.

I am going to the bank on Wednesday morning just to check if they have a customer to buy the Income fund (want rid of it and just put the money in something that would not give me a problem next year). I was going to see a visa specialist in Pattaya but would be more than happy to come to your offices if you think the chances are more favourable in Bangkok. Your fees seem reasonable. Looks like my wife and I need to do a quick trip to Bangkok on Wednesday evening and come to your offices Thursday a.m. the day before the visa expires.

Just 3 questions:

If they refuse do we need to leave the country on Friday 08 December. I have an arrival stamp dated 21 Nov 06 (trip to Philippines) with stay allowed to 08 December. My wife arrived 19 July after trip to UK, she reported on 13 October and needs to report again 10 January (I assume on the basis she renews her reirement dependent visa on 08 December).

Can we extend the visa temporarily to allow more time to facilitate the selling of the fund so as to have the money in an acceptable account for immigration.

Is there another type of visa that we can apply for (i.e Non O or Non :o here in Thailand through your offices. I am not worried about having to leave the country every 90 days, I would accept that. My wife is English and I do not run a business except, dare I say it, owning a company to purchase my house.

In answer to Lopburi for your question below my account is an Investment unit of the "Ruang Khao Income Fund (8) which is part of Kasikorn Asset management, it is neither a deposit account or term deposit account. Ironically the money had been in an ordinary deposit account before Kasikorn suggested that I could make a little extra by opening this Unit Fund account. Immigration certainly do have a problem with this type of account!. I think in future it should pointed out to potential retirees as to the exact type of bank account immigration will accept. Had this been more evident at the time Kasikorn spoke with me I would never had transferred the money. Again this has caught Kasikorn by surprise as they said this has not been a problem before and they were not aware of any written changes to the requirements.

dalmatian:

Is your account really a "deposit" or "term deposit" type account or is it some form of mutual fund program from the bank? I suspect most immigration offices would have a problem with a non deposit type account.

Thanks again for your comments guys.

Sunbelt, if the answer is to come to Bangkok do I need to make appointment or ring ahead first.

Cheers

Just a reminder that this is Fathers Day so Sunbelt might be eating out (even at someone else's restaurant) and not available to answer questions for awhile.

--------------------

Lopburi3

Lopburi3, you are right. It just adds another day to my stress levels as we near zero hour for my visa, you have got no idea how my emotions are jumping up and down. However, I will try to relax at a watering hole and try to enjoy the day as best as my mind will allow me

Thanks

If they refuse do we need to leave the country on Friday 08 December. I have an arrival stamp dated 21 Nov 06 (trip to Philippines) with stay allowed to 08 December. My wife arrived 19 July after trip to UK, she reported on 13 October and needs to report again 10 January (I assume on the basis she renews her reirement dependent visa on 08 December).

Your wife dependent visa is based on your retirement, which expires on the same date as yours. You would need to leave Dec 8th. if you are not successful.

Can we extend the visa temporarily to allow more time to facilitate the selling of the fund so as to have the money in an acceptable account for immigration.

You can get a short term extension of 7, 10 or 14 days.

Is there another type of visa that we can apply for (i.e Non O or Non :D here in Thailand through your offices. I am not worried about having to leave the country every 90 days, I would accept that. My wife is English and I do not run a business except, dare I say it, owning a company to purchase my house.

We are professional problem solvers, clients have found that most of the time, we are able 99% of the time to come up with a solution. We have a very good visa specialist lawyer who is able to communicate very well and the officers always have been helpful with our clients.

In answer to Lopburi for your question below my account is an Investment unit of the "Ruang Khao Income Fund (8) which is part of Kasikorn Asset management, it is neither a deposit account or term deposit account. Ironically the money had been in an ordinary deposit account before Kasikorn suggested that I could make a little extra by opening this Unit Fund account. Immigration certainly do have a problem with this type of account!. I think in future it should pointed out to potential retirees as to the exact type of bank account immigration will accept. Had this been more evident at the time Kasikorn spoke with me I would never had transferred the money. Again this has caught Kasikorn by surprise as they said this has not been a problem before and they were not aware of any written changes to the requirements.

Does this invest in stock? When you go to the bank, please get a letter from the officer that suggested you to transfer the funds into this account. Just a short paragraph if you can get it.

Sunbelt, if the answer is to come to Bangkok do I need to make appointment or ring ahead first.

I'm sending you a p.m.

Just a reminder that this is Fathers Day so Sunbelt might be eating out (even at someone else's restaurant) and not available to answer questions for awhile.

Lopburi has a good crystal ball :D Was in fact at O'Brians, a restaurant owned by my wife on Suk road 3/1 to Soi 5. I had a excellent double hamburger for lunch. :o

It just adds another day to my stress levels as we near zero hour for my visa, you have got no idea how my emotions are jumping up and down

We'll get it done. Enjoy the Holidays.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com