Taliban launch fatal bomb attack on Bagram air base

rooster59

Taliban launch fatal bomb attack on Bagram air base

606x341_349412.jpg

The Taliban has claimed responsibility for a fatal bomb blast at the NATO air base at Bagram, north of the Afghan capital Kabul.

Authorities say four people have been killed and more than a dozen injured.

The bomber detonated a device close to a sports facility where officers and soldiers were exercising.

Authorities say it is unclear if a suicide bomber carried out the attack.

An investigation is underway as to uncover how the base, home to around 14,000 people, had its security compromised.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-13

3 hours ago, Pimay1 said:

I don't understand how any Taliban could get passed the gate. When I worked there I had to go through two extensive searches at two checkpoints before entering.

It is a well guarded facility. Think that's a first. A 15 year clear run is impressive considering the amount of threats.

There are conflicting reports of where the explosion took place (perhaps you can make better sense of it, though):

A U.S. official said the attack occurred inside the base and the attacker wore a suicide vest. The blast occurred as the military personnel were moving between morning physical exercises and a dining hall, according to the official.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/explosion-us-bagram-airfield-afghanistan-casualties-confirmed/story?id=43484604

Waheed Sediqqi, spokesman for the Parwan provincial governor, said the bomber managed to enter the heavily protected site and was standing in a queue with Afghan labourers when he detonated a suicide vest.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/11/afghanistan-explosion-hits-airbase-bagram-161112045737967.html

My guess is it was a Taliban loyalist with 'legitimate' access to the base.  Would have taken time and meticulous planning. 

Was definately a suicide bomber that killed 2 US service personnel an 2 civy contractors, who were also American. About 20 more were injured. Mostly Americans.