Preferred Currency In Penang?

I'm off to Penang, for the first time in a very long time, because I've heard that this is the last Thai consulate or embassy in the vicinity where one can obtain a 2-month non-immigrant visa (so-called tourist visa, I guess) with at least one re-entry. Yet I've also heard that fees for such visas have gone up a lot (to a $100 or so?) and will go up even more in July. If this is true, I don't want to show up at the consulate with the wrong currency. What do the Thai officials prefer? Baht, dollars or ringgit?

I apologize if this has been covered before. I did try to go back through previous posts, but it seems that most are related to men married to Thais or retired people. I've heard so much confusing information lately that I don't now recall where I got the idea that the visa was now so expensive. But, of course, the authoritity seemed good at the time.

Thanks ...

when I was in Penang about this time last year the application fee for my non-imm 'o' renewal was required to be paid in ringgit. It's OK as there are cash points everywhere and you will need ringgit anyway for taxis, meals and etc. Plus you must stay overnight to collect your visa the next day and there are only 2-3 flights to Penang from BKK per week...per last year's schedules. No chance of a one day turn around...

Visaphied,

Do yourself a favour and have your visa done by those "agencies", moneychangers actually. You can find them all over Chulia St. They charge a minimal fee which is well worth the hassle if you go by yourself. The taxi alone will set you back 20 Ringgit back and forth. Buses are not a good option since the consulate is a good 10 min walk from the main road.

Cheers!