Type O Fund Seasoning Follow Up

In doing my due diligence here in preparation for doing my extension of stay Type O based on marriage, I noticed there was one question re:the seasoning here for a retirement visa.  I just want to make certain that it is 60 and not 90 days that my money needs to have been seasoned even though I am not getting a retirement visa.  Thanks for any help. 

Thanks @muzmurray.

In case this matters, the money went in on Sept. 1.  I've lived here since '12 on a type O visa based on marriage.  I had miscalculated the timing for the money seasoning so I had to leave TL for Vientiane to get a new visa.  

I entered Thailand from Vientiane with new visa on Oct. 16. This is my post that I followed to get that done.  I go to CW in BKK to do all my visa stuff.

Edited by emanphoto

The funds need to be in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply for every extension based upon marriage.

You can apply at Chaeng Wattana up to 45 days early. Since the funds have been in bank for two months already you could apply for your extension on the 29th of this month.

• Like 1

Argh, some site said my Type O visa was only good for 60 days. I've gone directly to the Vientiane site and that confirmed it's good for 90.  :sorry:

So I have to be 45 days into the visa itself before I can apply.  Got it!  As always, thank you!

9 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I thought for retirement it was 60 for the first application then 90 days for subsequent extensions. (Retirement) is it different for different types?

For an extension based upon retirement it is 60 days for the first extension then 3 months after that.

For one based upon marriage it is 2 months for every extension.

19 hours ago, emanphoto said:

Argh, some site said my Type O visa was only good for 60 days. I've gone directly to the Vientiane site and that confirmed it's good for 90.  :sorry:

So I have to be 45 days into the visa itself before I can apply.  Got it!  As always, thank you!

If you have entered the country using a non-imm O visa, you are now in the country on a permission to stay issued by immigrations. Look at the stamp you were given when you entered the country. It should indicate that you were given 90 days when you entered and it will show when the permission expires. You are in the country based on that stamp, the visa you got from the embassy/consulate is largely irrelevant at this point.

You can go to immigrations for the extension based on marriage up to 45 day before your permission to stay expires. You will then be in the country on an extension of stay based on marriage, which is not a visa. Since you would no longer have a visa but an extension of your permission to stay. if you want to travel out of the country and return, you would need a re-entry permit in lieu of having a visa.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Since you would no longer have a visa but an extension of your permission to stay. if you want to travel out of the country and return, you would need a re-entry permit in lieu of having a visa.  to keep your permission of stay valid.

On 11/15/2016 at 9:51 AM, Suradit69 said:

You can go to immigrations for the extension based on marriage up to 45 day before your permission to stay expires.

Thank you @Suradit69.  

45 days in Thailand puts me at the 30th of this month if you count the day I arrived on Oct. 16.  

FYI I calculated this on my own several times and got different answers each time, so I asked the google gods and found this wiki site which will calculate X number of days for you.  Math is NOT my strong suit and this is a great calculator for such things. :smile:

http://www.wikidates.org/calculate/45-days-from-10-16-2016.html

90 days, according to the stamp, ( thank you @Suradit69 for pointing this out) puts the Visa as ending on Jan 13 2017.  I was looking on the Visa itself for a date and found none and was wondering about that!  

So my reason for writing here is for some clarification.  You say I can go to CW up to 45 days before Jan 13th (meaning between my entry date and Nov. 30th),  and @ubonjoe says "The 29th would be the earliest you could a apply. There is no latest other than the last day of your 90 entry."  Which one is it it for my extension based on marriage?

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, emanphoto said:

So my reason for writing here is for some clarification.  You say I can go to CW up to 45 days before Jan 13th (meaning between my entry date and Nov. 30th),  and @ubonjoe says "The 29th would be the earliest you could a apply. There is no latest other than the last day of your 90 entry."  Which one is it it for my extension based on marriage?

I counted 45 days from the date your entered the country and included that day in the 45 days since that is first day of your entry.  If I subtract 45 days from January 13th I also get November 29th (I use the date calculator included in the Windows 10 calculator).

I don't think immigration would turn you away on either the 29 or the 30th.

Thank you @ubanjoe

I wish my Mac calendar had that capability!  Also there is the site http://planetcalc.com/274/

So we can definitively say that the 29th is the earliest date I can apply for the extension of stay based on marriage and the latest is date is the day of or before the expiration of my new visa on Jan 13?

Thank you!

12 minutes ago, emanphoto said:

So we can definitively say that the 29th is the earliest date I can apply for the extension of stay based on marriage and the latest is date is the day of or before the expiration of my new visa on Jan 13?

Yes

It is your new permit to stay date shown on the entry stamp not a visa.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to revisit this topic again but my wife is asking me to find documentation from Immigration that states I need to wait 45 days from time of entry on my new Type O visa.  My date of entry was Oct. 16.

All I could find was this page http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/2886/34923-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"---Accompanying-sp.html

which states 

"6. PERIOD OF STAY  

Holder of this type of visa is entitled to stay in Thailand for a maximum period of 90 days.  He or she may apply for an extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau and may be granted such extension for a period of one year from the date of first entry into Thailand."  

Of course nothing is stated that I need to wait at all.

Tomorrow is the date @ubonjoe had given and 45 days is shown as the 30th by wikidates, and I can't find anything on Thailand's Immigration sites that tells me I need to "season" my visa (as it were) before applying for the extension so can anyone direct me to a site that states this to assuage my wife's fears?  She has a very tight schedule and wants to make absolutely sure we have a green light to go to CW tomorrow.

I have never been given inaccurate advice here on TV but today my wife is of a different mind.  

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 2.51.13 PM.png