Disappointed with Gecko Bar

Last night I witnessed a moving ceremony as hundreds or even thousands of Thai people dressed in black sang at Chaweng lake in honour of the late King.

Unfortunately I had a prior appointment in Bophut so was unable to stay, on my arrival at Bophut I was stunned to hear very loud music and football air horns coming from the gecko bar, I was appalled at this total lack of respect for the King.

I guess that they made a very large donation to the local     Tea money fund in order to get away with such a blatant flouting of the mourning period for the King.

Thought it was from today only, 14th November, that nightlife could reopen.
Is Gecko Bar in Bo Phut farang owned – or farang in partner with Thai wife – think I read that in the news some years back, efter they had a fire there..?

4 hours ago, concerned said:

Amazing really when you think it's on the same Island where a woman nearly got lynched by an angry mob for showing disrespect to the King. What a night to chose, with thousands down by the lake in tears! Disgusting!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Birthday bash for a local real estate agent. Hypocritical.

Edited by Rooo

Does the massage parlor near the lake closed for show respect? just a question as i didn't go there on that night.

Regarding the gecko bar, the bar is quite far from the lake i don't think they disturbed the ceremony...

i'm even pretty sure that on that night the lady bar in soi reggae were open selling theirs lady.

Why focus on that bar? i don't think it was the only one

1 hour ago, wes13 said:

Does the massage parlor near the lake closed for show respect? just a question as i didn't go there on that night.

Regarding the gecko bar, the bar is quite far from the lake i don't think they disturbed the ceremony...

i'm even pretty sure that on that night the lady bar in soi reggae were open selling theirs lady.

Why focus on that bar? i don't think it was the only one

Because loud music and parties were banned during the first 30 days of the mourning.

Still no trucks announcing beach parties or Thai boxing :shock1:

Yes, only that bar.

All the bar and club didn't respect the 30 days mourning many bar close maybe only 2-3 days, the green mango close only 1 week.

I really would like someone give me the name of only 1 bar or club that respected the 30 days period.

Edited by wes13

26 minutes ago, wes13 said:

All the bar and club didn't respect the 30 days mourning many bar close maybe only 2-3 days, the green mango close only 1 week.

I really would like someone give me the name of only 1 bar or club that respected the 30 days period.

After a few days, bars were allowed to play music at a respectable level during the remainder of the 30 days mourning.

This bar has been mentioned because it is an illegal bar opened under false pretenses as being a club house for a luxury few villa development, which never eventuated.

A great debate about the subject is here in Thaivisa archives somewhere.

It is situated in a RESIDENTIAL GREEN ZONE, of which many tolerant  residents to their normal going ons, found the action of that particular evening  most offensive & show great disrespect.

Perhaps my explanation can shed more light for you.

18 minutes ago, Rooo said:

After a few days, bars were allowed to play music at a respectable level during the remainder of the 30 days mourning.

This bar has been mentioned because it is an illegal bar opened under false pretenses as being a club house for a luxury few villa development, which never eventuated.

A great debate about the subject is here in Thaivisa archives somewhere.

It is situated in a RESIDENTIAL GREEN ZONE, of which many tolerant  residents to their normal going ons, found the action of that particular evening  most offensive & show great disrespect.

Perhaps my explanation can shed more light for you.

Yes, now i understand better thanks for the explanation.

Without saying everything about the situation it's hard to understand the complaint.

I know the bar but never went there

Edited by wes13

5 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Because loud music and parties were banned during the first 30 days of the mourning.

Still no trucks announcing beach parties or Thai boxing :shock1:

Yes, only that bar.

It's been 30 days and as of last night the Thai boxing trucks were out again in Chaweng, the Duke and Baan Samui had live bands pounding out there usual travesties of "music"  and Soi Reggae was up and running. Don't know about Soi Green Mango as I didn't go there.

It's (loud) business as usual.

I must admit, it's been quite nice without those ridiculous speaker trucks pounding out their same old monotonous adverts this past month.

Now I just hope someone gets rid of the loudspeaker they have installed on a lamp post at the junction of the lake and the police station that's playing the same thing. It's a wonder the police haven't done it for disturbing their sleep.

November 14th, last night, was the day the night venues were allowed to re-open (Entertainment activities resume as of November 14) – Cha Cha Moon Beach had their first party after the Kings death, Full Moon Party last night, and today Tuesday the original party at Koh Phangen reopens – Sunday the 13th was the last day in the mourning period, and many Thais closed their business to join the masses showing respect by Chaweng Lake. Showing little respect also from Gecko Bar would have been appropriate.

And to confirm a poster above, yes, it was in the news section long ago, that the Lady Bars were allowed to reopen with not too loud music...

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/11/2016 at 3:30 PM, concerned said:

Amazing really when you think it's on the same Island where a woman nearly got lynched by an angry mob for showing disrespect to the King. What a night to chose, with thousands down by the lake in tears! Disgusting!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

And possibly only within 1 kilometer of the Gecko Bar !