About 300,000 baht worth of fireworks seized from a shop in Ayutthaya

webfact

About 300,000 baht worth of fireworks seized from a shop in Ayutthaya

AYUTTHAYA: -- Military officers seized about 300,000 baht worth of fireworks in raid of a shop in Ayutthaya province on Monday which coincides with Loy Krathong Day.

The raid of a shop in Chao Prom market followed complaints to the Damrongtham centre in Ayutthaya from witnesses who claimed that the shop had been selling fireworks, fire crackers and flares.

Invoking Section 44 of the interim constitution, military personnel were asked to search the shop but its owner who claimed that he sold only a small amount of fireworks to people used for worshipping.

But the officials didn’t buy his story and thoroughly searched the shop during which they uncovered almost 100 items of fireworks, fire crackers and flares which are regarded as goods requiring a license.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/about-300000-baht-worth-of-fireworks-seized-from-a-shop-in-ayutthaya/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-15

"...The shopowner, however, did not have a license and, therefore, the items worth about 300,000 baht were seized with the shopkeeper charged for possessing illegal goods – a charge liable to one month imprisonment and/or a fine of 1,000 baht..."

Excuse my cynicism, but how many "shopowners" do you see in Thailand with large stocks of questionable items (worth well in excess of ฿300,000 and hardly likely to have a licence), seemingly trading with impunity?

Maybe, this guy simply had the wrong sort of handshake to avoid a rocket?

corruption.jpg

Yes it just happened to coincide with Loy Kratong.    :whistling:

As I understand it there were no official fireworks show anywhere and the public were requested to refrain from using them .

This is certainly one way of ensuring compliance with the ' request ' and a testament to all the righteous Thais who felt obliged to complain.

Perhaps a warning to all shopkeepers what to expect at the end of December and maybe the Minister of Justice will issue another beat them up suggestion.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

1 hour ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Yes it just happened to coincide with Loy Kratong.    :whistling:

As I understand it there were no official fireworks show anywhere and the public were requested to refrain from using them .

This is certainly one way of ensuring compliance with the ' request ' and a testament to all the righteous Thais who felt obliged to complain.

Perhaps a warning to all shopkeepers what to expect at the end of December and maybe the Minister of Justice will issue another beat them up suggestion.

Would you want to live near an illegal storage of explosives?

3 minutes ago, halloween said:

Would you want to live near an illegal storage of explosives?

Nobody would but how long has it been going on without any complaints ?

How many people complaining have bought fireworks from this shop in the past but because of the current situation decide to be good citizens ?

Just now, NongKhaiKid said:

Nobody would but how long has it been going on without any complaints ?

How many people complaining have bought fireworks from this shop in the past but because of the current situation decide to be good citizens ?

I have no idea - it's your speculation, not mine.

1 hour ago, seahorse said:

What do they worship using fireworks? I thought that firecrackers were used for scaring away evil spirits. That's not worship to me. That's insanity.

I have seen them use fireworks many times in the temple when someone died. I have also seen people that are ethical Chinese use fireworks/firecrackers in different celebrations.

Did you know that people in Europe used whips to scare away ghosts, they believed that the sonicbang from a whip would ward of evil spirits?!

So to me that mean one thing: Thais still somewhat follow their beliefs and traditions while we westerners lost most of it too technology... All hail iPhone, Facebook, Twitter

1 hour ago, seahorse said:

What do they worship using fireworks? I thought that firecrackers were used for scaring away evil spirits. That's not worship to me. That's insanity.

How is it any different from the the other main religions.. none have any proof what so ever.. All religion is equally insane as there is no proof for any of it. How can one imaginary god be any more stupid then an other ?

19 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

I have seen them use fireworks many times in the temple when someone died. I have also seen people that are ethical Chinese use fireworks/firecrackers in different celebrations.

Did you know that people in Europe used whips to scare away ghosts, they believed that the sonicbang from a whip would ward of evil spirits?!

So to me that mean one thing: Thais still somewhat follow their beliefs and traditions while we westerners lost most of it too technology... All hail iPhone, Facebook, Twitter

Westerners have lost most of it due to the Age of Enlightenment.

15 minutes ago, seahorse said:

Westerners have lost most of it due to the Age of Enlightenment.

Not really some of them still believe in god(s) and non of them have ever proven to exist. Just toning down on the rituals does not mean its any less strange. How can you compare things that both have no proof and if you were to come to a psychiatrist he would put you in a padded room if you said you were talking to an imaginary person. Just because many believe does not make it any less strange .. just mass hysteria. Come with proof that the Western religions are true and these are not and I eat my words. Until that day all religion is equally strange and stupid. Insanity.. is a good word for it.. Thank you for that.