A Red Fruit/seed Called Gatge-up?

teletiger

My wife has recently introduced me to a cordial she makes from a red fruit she calls gat-ge-up? She boils up the smallish red fruit and produces a, slightly tart, red cordial. Mixed with water, it's wonderful.... in fact addictive. I wondered if anyone had a latin or western name for this fruit that I could investigate.

Regards

Edited by teletiger

My wife has recently introduced me to a cordial she makes from a red fruit she calls gat-ge-up? She boils up the smallish red fruit and produces a, slightly tart, red cordial. Mixed with water, it's wonderful.... in fact addictive. I wondered if anyone had a latin or western name for this fruit that I could investigate.

Regards

Hibiscus Sabdariffa

Regards

LOL

At first I thought you were joking. Red color, gatge-up sounds like catsup. I see that it is a Thai fruit now but I had a good laugh anyway. :o

Regards

LOL

At first I thought you were joking. Red color, gatge-up sounds like catsup. I see that it is a Thai fruit now but I had a good laugh anyway. :o

Roselle

Hibiscus sabdariffa L.

Morton, J. 1987. Roselle. p. 281–286. In: Fruits of warm climates. Julia F. Morton, Miami, FL.

roselle_thumb.jpg

not solely a Thai fruit