Thai Pink I/D Card for falangs

Twice this week i have been asked for my PINK I/D card, which I do not have

Local Hospital and regional hospital.They were a bit miffed when  armed with Passport.yellow Book and Thai drivers license

They both eventually accepted D/L but suggested I should have one.

Question. Obtainable where,process and cost please.?Also any helpful comments

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Not an id card. They are asking for your social security card. Medical card issued by the govt. if you are employed. Only an employer can apply for you.

He should get an ID card as he is entitled to one, if that is what they are asking for ?

As it just happened last Sunday, the Pink ID was not accepted at check in (Thai Smile) at CNX airport. The lady said she had never seen a Farang with such a card and would require an additional paper from the issuing amphoe. I believe she referred to hilltribes/stateless who got these cards earlier and were restricted from traveling freely.

So it's still hit and miss. Some may ask for it, others haven't heard about.

4 minutes ago, MadMac said:

As it just happened last Sunday, the Pink ID was not accepted at check in (Thai Smile) at CNX airport. The lady said she had never seen a Farang with such a card and would require an additional paper from the issuing amphoe. I believe she referred to hilltribes/stateless who got these cards earlier and were restricted from traveling freely.

She must be from the HI-SO of Thai Smile

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I hear you can get one from the local mayor in your village, that is if you live in a village. I am going through the process now so can't give you more info than that at the moment, but hopefully its in the right direction. 

You don't go through a process for the Thai ID card if you have the yellow book. I just took my yellow book to the amphur, and they asked me a few simple questions, took my photo and gave me my new ID card.

• Like 1

You're correct. Just done mine this week. Just need yellow book & passport and done in 10 Mins. However went to update my Drivers License address & Passport details and they looked puzzled not having seen one before. Just needed passport & yellow book there too. I'm sure as more Farang start to carry them the Thai's will know the ID is genuine. 

21 hours ago, MadMac said:

Another case of "This is Thailand".

21 hours ago, possum1931 said:

You don't go through a process for the Thai ID card if you have the yellow book. I just took my yellow book to the amphur, and they asked me a few simple questions, took my photo and gave me my new ID card.

I forgot to mention, they also take your thumb prints.

You will find that different Amphoe Offices have different requirements as seems to happen with Immigration Offices

In my case they wanted our Australian marriage certificate translated into Thai and numerous other documents

The process became rather frustrating until the " brown envelope" was produced  then it was plain sailing.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I forgot to mention, they also take your thumb prints.

Interested you said "thumb" prints.
When I applied for my pink ID card, they also said "thumb", and yet (most) of the Thais used their first or second finger.

I don't know if there is a "correct" finger to use? I don't suppose it really matters as long as you consistantly use the same one every time it's required.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2016 at 2:11 PM, MadMac said:

There in lies the silly Ness having just had a holiday and traveled down to BKK with thai smile from KKC I used my ID card there and back absolutely no problem at all.

On 11/15/2016 at 2:11 PM, MadMac said:

When I got mine the lady responsible went to great lengths to explain that unlike a blue ID card a pink ID card cannot be used to leave the country.

Apparently someone who had been issued a card at that office had been refused exit by immigration at a land border and had returned and made a complaint that he had not been advised to that effect.

Domestic flights may well be an airline decision, I have heard of people using a 5 year DL.

I used mine at the mobile health clinic and none of the staff batted an eyelid, only the other patients, some wanted to have a look.

It's one of those things it's not new been out there for a long time by the looks. But now seems there is a bigger take up of the ID card well by posters on here anyway. It's still  rarely seen by Thai companies so a lot of confusion as to will they as a company except it. In time it will be more and more exepted. Hopefully companies will give guidelines across all its employees in various locations ie Thai smile. KK accept and BKK I have used it both ways but it seems other areas don't. 

I will just keep using it if I get knocked back so be it but at least I will have started the ball rolling within that company staff asking questions ect.

As for Thai prices well personaly I really don't care if I get in somewhere free or not beacuse IAM NOT THAI.

So like anything in time it will grow to be accepted mire and more and who knows it may well become manditory in time.

Untill then it's down to your preference Wether to get it or not. If you do and it's not accepted dint throw your toys out causing a scene just accept it and move on.

WOW I can't imagine why any foreigner would even attempt to leave the country just using this card! Strange idea given that they would be stamped in to the country when they arrived with their passport!

The way I understand the Pink ID card is that it was originally introduced to keep track of the migrant workers of neighbouring countries, especially for those without a passport, or any other form of travel document or ID, it seems to have since been adopted by the Thai authorities for foreigners who are eligible to have one.

The issue with that is in it's origins, as technically the holder of the pink ID card is not supposed to go outside of the issuing authorities jurisdiction, so if it is issued in Banglamung district for instance, then they are supposed to stay in that area only, the ones being issued to yellow book holder Farangs also states this on the back in Thai, of course they still have the option of using a passport or D/L.

I'm not saying whether you can or cannot use the card for whatever and wherever in Thailand, just saying that if it is looked at properly by whoever is being offered it, then it could possibly cause issues if this is not in the area that it was issued in and if you have no other form of ID in the way of a passport or Thai D/L etc. with you.

sorry, but I think none of these posts are giving you the correct deal on this.

the original post is about being admitted to a hospital... you should be showing them a non-state issued insurance card.  that's a big point.

the biggest reason I always thought for having private Thai health cover was to get an annually updated ID card from your insurer..... not so much the financial coverage because even if you have a Thai credit record.. they just plain don't have a way to verify that at the admittance desk or ER.... and not just farlang... but any kind of foreigner.

but most importantly, all of this is so that you can quite intentionally AVOID having to go to any facility where a Social Security WOULD let you in, whether you have one of those as well or don't....  let alone one of those paper ID cards they routinely give anyone at a state hospital outpatient or state hospital ER.

unless we're talking about a simple thing, not a big health thing...  outpatient stuff.... but you never know when something bigger could happen that involves scans or drugs etc that are quite expensive.. so the facility has to be careful admitting you then. no matter what your appearance is or means either, how do they know you will come thru or not even if you have loads of dough? they don't unless.....

isn't that the real skinny?

Edited by maewang99

5 hours ago, Mattd said:

The issue with that is in it's origins, as technically the holder of the pink ID card is not supposed to go outside of the issuing authorities jurisdiction, so if it is issued in Banglamung district for instance, then they are supposed to stay in that area only, the ones being issued to yellow book holder Farangs also states this on the back in Thai, of course they still have the option of using a passport or D/L.

As the lady issuing the card explained, There are no travel restriction for a pink card issued with a yellow book. The lady explained that the card is not valid if you "permanently" move to another area, you cant just change the address on the card, you need to get a new card at the new ampher. The person can move, the card cannot. Its a lost in translation thing, meaning this card is valid so long as you still live permanently in the place it was issued.