Australian man Andrew Oake's third attacker arrested after machete ambush in Thailand

webfact

11 hours ago, seahorse said:

He's not his father. He's his mother's boyfriend.

Guess that makes a really big difference to the outcome, might even be enough to abort the charges, but thanks for the important update. 

Edited by Artisi

This is indeed a sad case.  Not only are these 3 Thais guilty of murer but it is and should be considered a hate crime. It appears they went looking for a foreigner to hurt. In the West they would be tried as an adult because of this and serve long prison sentences. Compensation would have no bearing on anything. 

I have been here a long time and I personally have seen very little hostility direct to me personally by Thais but I have witnessed enough of it to know that Thai people believe they are superior to others and have no concept of what discrimination or racism really is. I have given up even broaching the subject in thai or English with any Thai person because they cannot grasp the concept . This is a lack of education; no teaching of morality or ethics and a failure of  Thai clergy to exhibit a moral high ground.

obviously mr MacDonald excepted him as his son and maybe even adopted him, bit strange that comment, most men in australia except a package deal when they get involved with a lady that already has children

10 hours ago, masuk said:

do you mean expected a package?

What sort of package?

I think he means "...accepted a package deal"

Edited by BobbyLambo

I don't believe it's "only farangs". Honestly, when my girlfriend reads the locals Thai news to me (translated), I'm appalled at how easy they get off on Thai to Thai crimes. Even when a police officer is killed. Punishment seems to be a fine, an apology that they drove a 6' pole through the guy's head--they just hadn't had dinner and were exasperated--and a couple of months of monkhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 16/11/2016 at 10:20 AM, lvr181 said:

1 murdered farang = $1546?  I have always thought that life seemed cheap in Thailand. Get jail for feeding fish but a fine for murdering a fellow human being.

It must be a cultural trait? :sad:

If you read the further article in the Australian press it seems he has been conned into accepting this 'blood money' to fund the Thai Police's prosecution of the Oxygen thief in the Thai courts,it sounds like an unholy stitch-up to get this pond life off with a much lighter sentence if you ask me?

Why do these random,unprovoked attacks on foreigners not take place anywhere else in South-East Asia like Indonesia,Cambodia,Vietnam,Laos etc?
It seems it's only Thailand I left after the bombing of the Erawan Shrine in Bangkok and reading about the Koh Tao murders plus the Hua Hin attacks,although that was stupid provocation by the drunken Welsh family but it all goes unpunished.It's unlikely that I'll waste my time with xenophobic,racist Thailand ever again unfortunately for anything more than a short holiday!