Question #1: Do you use alcohol?

No, I drink it.  So, I have been shortlisted for a position in BKK.  It has Christian affiliation (I am a non-church going Protestant).  It took them 25 days to get back to me, and as usual, they have a long list of rules/demands/qualifications, but here it is in the middle of the term, and they don't have a teacher.  Now, about the alcohol.  I plan on just stating the truth, which is that I do beers once or twice a week.  Could that be a disqualification in itself?  I really don't need the job, but wouldn't mind working.  I'm just wondering if a drinker should even bother applying.  Surely, some of you have dealt with this kind of stuff.  Everyone has worked with drinkers, and seen people coming in with booze on their breath, but are they really any worse than the obese, who have developed Type II Diabetes?  But, let's just focus on this specific situation.  Truthfulness, understatement, or bold-faced lie?

"I usually just do one or two"...(buckets):burp:

bucket.jpg

We have the same question on the application blank and most people answer 'no'.   This, of course, is not true but it is seldom challenged at any point.   We have had teachers that answer 'yes' and it sometimes prompts questions.   Thus far no one has ever been denied a job for answering yes, but some have been discharged for drinking, but this was due to it causing problems in the work place.  

I'd tend to answer it truthfully.  

11 minutes ago, Scott said:

We have the same question on the application blank and most people answer 'no'.   This, of course, is not true but it is seldom challenged at any point.   We have had teachers that answer 'yes' and it sometimes prompts questions.   Thus far no one has ever been denied a job for answering yes, but some have been discharged for drinking, but this was due to it causing problems in the work place.  

I'd tend to answer it truthfully.  

If one is a recovering alcoholic, keep it quiet. Also, on the medical form for work permit, just say no as Thailand is 50 years behind the West in understanding that alcoholism is a disease and that especially that there is a cure.

37 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

If one is a recovering alcoholic, keep it quiet. Also, on the medical form for work permit, just say no as Thailand is 50 years behind the West in understanding that alcoholism is a disease and that especially that there is a cure.

Very good advice.   We had a guy who said he was an alcoholic (recovering and hadn't drank for close to 20 years) and it caused all sorts of problems.  

As a professional teacher you should never drink ANY alcohol on a school night.. But then you don't particularly sound like a professional teacher. You do need to take your job seriously as educating children is a position of responsibility and they deserve better...

16 hours ago, claffey said:

As a professional teacher you should never drink ANY alcohol on a school night.. But then you don't particularly sound like a professional teacher. You do need to take your job seriously as educating children is a position of responsibility and they deserve better...

That's an absurd thought, that a professional teacher can not have a beer or glass of wine with dinner on a 'school night'. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2016 at 7:26 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Deny any use of alcohol?

Bear in mind that many countries do not regard beer as serious alcohol, that is reserved for whisky, vodka or brandy. Tell your conscience that. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2016 at 10:57 PM, claffey said:

This is ridiculous. I don't even drink alcohol, but think that it is perfectly acceptable to have a few drinks after work.  A lot of school functions even serve alcohol for parents and teachers so why would it be wrong for anyone to have a drink after work?

If you said, a professional teacher should never get drunk on a school night, then yes I would agree but that goes for any profession. 

As for the OP, its better to be honest and not get the job then commit fraud and get fired for it later.  If the school is ultra christian, then you wouldn't be happy there anyway.  Some Christian schools are not as restrictive. Just answer yes, sometimes but not usually. If the school is anti alcohol, then they would also be uptight about other things. If they want pure moralistic teachers, then don't pretend to be something you are not.

Archived