Android Pay....Having any luck?

Mike45

I've installed Android Pay on my new Samsung A9 and have successfully setup my USA Bank of America Travel Rewards Credit Card on it.

I would like to stop carrying credit cards but continue to have the security of using a USA credit card. It's also nice because I don't pay foreign transaction fees and don't have to bring as much money into Thailand.

The biggest very problem I've noticed is virtually none of the cashiers have any idea about how to process an electronic transaction.

Tesco Lotus cashiers have the NFC terminals. One cashier tried to help me and we even got to the point the terminal said "Authorizing" but the transaction failed. Now my local Tesco has removed all the NFC terminals from the cashiers.

7/11 no luck. I have noticed they have Alipay signs up on the wall but they don't have any idea what to do.

McDonald's on the highway between Bangkok and Pattaya. Success! I told the cashier I wanted to pay electronically and it went through very quickly.

So I know my phone and Android Pay setup on my phone works.

Has anyone else had any luck?

• 2 weeks later...

There are problems trying to launch a Cashless Society into a society is already cashless.

From past topic threads on thaivisa I think McDonalds was the ONLY company working with international credit service transaction companies.

If you find contactless services offered in Thailand the backers are either based in Thailand, or associated with other Asian Credit/Banking services with ties to Thai conglomerates.  True / 7Eleven being the most used.

Then there's PromptPay and AirPay

Wide acceptance of PromptPay key to making country cashless society

theNation | By SUCHEERA PINIJPARAKARN | July 18, 2016

Card launch set to help Thailand on path to cashless society

theNation | November 21, 2016 

5 hours ago, Chicog said:

I really have no intention of ever carrying a contactless payment device in Thailand.

That is simply a recipe for disaster.

Why do you think that? I thought it was supposed to be a safer method of using our credit cards. 

4 hours ago, RichCor said:

There are problems trying to launch a Cashless Society into a society is already cashless.

From past topic threads on thaivisa I think McDonalds was the ONLY company working with international credit service transaction companies.

If you find contactless services offered in Thailand the backers are either based in Thailand, or associated with other Asian Credit/Banking services with ties to Thai conglomerates.  True / 7Eleven being the most used.

Then there's PromptPay and AirPay

Wide acceptance of PromptPay key to making country cashless society

theNation | By SUCHEERA PINIJPARAKARN | July 18, 2016

Card launch set to help Thailand on path to cashless society

theNation | November 21, 2016 

Thanks for that information.

1 hour ago, bark said:

Possible he doesn't understand how it works ?

It is like a debt card ??

Not only can these systems be hacked (and they already have), but it essentially means that criminals will be able to nab payments from your phones and cards without you ever knowing.

Hence the growing market for protective sleeves for phones, passports and cards that act as a Faraday cage.

My UK bank just gave me one of these "contactless" cards. That's staying under wraps for a start.

I never have NFC enabled on any device.

4 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Not only can these systems be hacked (and they already have), but it essentially means that criminals will be able to nab payments from your phones and cards without you ever knowing.

Hence the growing market for protective sleeves for phones, passports and cards that act as a Faraday cage.

My UK bank just gave me one of these "contactless" cards. That's staying under wraps for a start.

Back to the Future ! Dude.

BTW I did see one useful innovation today, which is the card with the cycling CVV. Instead of a printed number, the three digits are on a small LCD screen on the card back; change every 30 seconds, and are obviously synced with a server in the bank. The technology comes from Gemalto (and may or may not have come from their acquisition of SafeNet).

Either way, that significantly reduces the opportunity for Cardholder-Not-Present fraud.

1 hour ago, LRimmler said:

I haven't seen Android Pay but I did see Samsung Pay at Robinson Central Plaza at the cashier counter.

Samsung Pay was my first choice. Unfortunately Samsung, in their wisdom,  won't allow me to put it on this brand new model phone. I believe Samsung works everywhere because they can use NFC or a proprietary system that duplicates a swipe for older credit card machines.

1 hour ago, Chicog said:

I'm in agreement with you about trying to protect myself and the Issuing bank from fraud.

I don't know what kind of protection your card gives you for fraud and how they resolve issues with you.

I can tell you about my cards. I have no liability at all for fraudulent transactions. I call and tell them I didn't make the charge and they remove it.

They are encouraging me to use these payment systems. Probably because they think they are safer than carrying a credit card.....I don't know. 

My credit cards don't charge a foreign transaction fee and I can pay them off with money I keep in the USA so I have to bring less money to Thailand. The cards offer me extra protection like doubling warranties of items I buy and giving me recourse against merchants that won't accept defective items for return.

On 11/28/2016 at 9:09 PM, Chicog said:

The contactless stuff has a limit of 30 or 50 quid I think.

Just imagine if you can slide in a compromised payment terminal into a busy shop? 

And no doubt that is exactly what the attackers are working on.

The scanning of cards is the easy part. The hard part is setting up an acquirers account to get the stolen cash. If it’s a compromised account that already exists the crooks have even more security hoops to jump through. 

Not as easy as the nets scaremongering has you believe.

On 12/6/2016 at 10:19 AM, maxpower said:

The scanning of cards is the easy part. The hard part is setting up an acquirers account to get the stolen cash. If it’s a compromised account that already exists the crooks have even more security hoops to jump through. 

Not as easy as the nets scaremongering has you believe.

Anything is easy given the levels of technical expertise in organised crime these days.

• 11 months later...

Archived