Change to retire extension rules 2016 ?

Have the rules for the retirement extension changed?

The reason I ask is because I went to Nong Khai immigration on 16/11/2016 and was given the list of requirements for the retirement extension and, added to the bottom of the list was two new items.

1) photos of the inside and outside of the house (with the applicant in the photos.)

It says X3 and I am not sure if its three photos of every room or just three photos.

2) a drawn map from immigration the applicants home

Similar to the marriage extension.

Is this happening everywhere or just Nong Khai immigration?

Anybody have any ideas [emoji4]

Take care

Steve

By the way I am British.

1. One outside showing the house number in it. And two inside the house.

2. The map just needs to be from the nearest main road or street to your home.

Not nationwide. Some office have wanted the map for some time now. Photos are fairly new but not the first office to ask for them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Aquaman2016 said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but in Hua His we are being told that the Embassy letter of confirmation of income now has to be additionally verified by the Thai Foreign Ministry Bangkok.  Does anyone have any knowledge of this?  Thanks.

Them and 2 or 3 other are the only offices reported as wanting it done.

The want the consular officers signature verified by the MFA's  department of consular affairs. It is not a verification of the letter itself.

anybody know if this is the first known instance of Hua Hin wanting the MFA verification of the consular signature? maybe forlks can follow up to see if this is a permanent demand by Hua Hin...or anywhere else...

Ayutthaya IO wanted the same verification not long ago...I wonder if they've been consistent with this demand...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Back in 2011, applying for my first retirement visa/extension, I  was asked at CW to give them a hand drawn map tp where I lived along with a telepone number to the house.

i don't know why they wanted this, as they never showed at the house or called me or my girlfriend  who lived there. to verify if i was really there.

ButI I gave it to them anyhow.

27 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

anybody know if this is the first known instance of Hua Hin wanting the MFA verification of the consular signature? maybe forlks can follow up to see if this is a permanent demand by Hua Hin...or anywhere else...

Ayutthaya IO wanted the same verification not long ago...I wonder if they've been consistent with this demand...

Not the first for Hua Hin.

Ayutthaya, Nonthabuburi and Nakhon Pathom are the only other report.  Not sure if it is or will be a permanent requirement at those offices.

Jomtien immigration want it for non immigrant visa applications but not for extensions.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The want the consular officers signature verified by the MFA's  department of consular affairs. It is not a verification of the letter itself.

So in other words, the Thai government, question the validity of a foreign diplomat's signature and are now demanding that the recipient of a letter issued by their country's embassy now is being verified by Thailand's own Ministry of Foreign affairs....right.

I'm not personally so convinced that that is the case. But anyway, political diplomacy usually goes both ways and with causing foreign retirees unnecessary bureaucracy, pensioners who usually are not a burden but an economic plus, small or large for Thailand this could backfire on their own citizens residing abroad and who look forward to lucrative pensions to take "home" to Thailand when in retirement.

Edited by Felt 35

8 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

So in other words, the Thai government, question the validity of a foreign diplomat's signature and are now demanding that the recipient of a letter issued by their country's embassy now is being verified by Thailand's own Ministry of Foreign affairs....right.

There is nothing strange with that, many countries have had similar requirements for centuries. it's called "  Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents "

To simplify this, many countries signed a convention decades ago already. Thailand did not sign. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_Convention  

Edited by paz

The strange thing is not the legalization in itself but that after 20 years in this country we again and again have to prove who you are. Btw,  should not Thailand by now consider to adopt immigration policies on a par with the West where you have to prove yourselve qualified with legalization and the whole package before being issued any visa or residency and not come up with more crap for elderly people  living here for years and who have all the paper work needed. If the goal is to keep undesirable elements out there are very little prevanties to let people in and and first ask for documentation after coming here, btw, a documentation which often can be arranged and bought here.

Edited by Felt 35
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. One outside showing the house number in it. And two inside the house.

2. The map just needs to be from the nearest main road or street to your home.

Not nationwide. Some office have wanted the map for some time now. Photos are fairly new but not the first office to ask for them.

Just extended at Lopburi Immigration. None of the above required.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If its not a verification of the letter, what is it a verification of? And what do you have to provide them to get it?

9 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

If its not a verification of the letter, what is it a verification of? And what do you have to provide them to get it?

As I wrote it is a verification of the consular officers signature on it. It is to confirm it is not a fake letter.

You fill out a form and pay a fee to have it done.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Aquaman2016 said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but in Hua His we are being told that the Embassy letter of confirmation of income now has to be additionally verified by the Thai Foreign Ministry Bangkok.  Does anyone have any knowledge of this?  Thanks.

I've extended mine recently using an income verification letter.  I'm told that the additional verification doesn't apply to the British Embassy as the letter details the proof of income.  The US on the other hand does not supply any proof of income and only states that an affidavit was signed at the embassy.  I have heard US citizens in HH have to supply proof although Brits don't.

3 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I've extended mine recently using an income verification letter.  I'm told that the additional verification doesn't apply to the British Embassy as the letter details the proof of income.  The US on the other hand does not supply any proof of income and only states that an affidavit was signed at the embassy.  I have heard US citizens in HH have to supply proof although Brits don't.

As far as I know it the same for all letter that the signature of the consular officer has to be verified.

As I wrote before it is not a verification of what is on the letter, affidavit, statutory declaration and etc.

Immigration might want backup proof of the income shown but that is not same as what is being discussed.

1 hour ago, joskeshake said:

and how they can explain, when go some office soi buakao in Pattaya can have retirement visa without any papers at all, if you pay 19.500 baht

15 k at my local "agent"...... worth every baht

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know it the same for all letter that the signature of the consular officer has to be verified.

As I wrote before it is not a verification of what is on the letter, affidavit, statutory declaration and etc.

Immigration might want backup proof of the income shown but that is not same as what is being discussed.

I think it would be fair if Mfa informed us their process in verification of a foreign consular officers signature?

18 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

I think it would be fair if Mfa informed us their process in verification of a foreign consular officers signature?

I've had the signature verification done already at the MFA as I had to go there for another purpose...you go upstairs and queue up and wait for them to call yer number... then you submit yer document for signature verification, pay and take yer receipt and then must return 3 WORKING DAYS LATER to collect your document...I had the misfortune of submitting my document on a Friday...

'fairness' and 'thainess' as demonstrated by this indefensible waste of peoples time you shall find are mutually exclusive...if it were otherwise then the rogue IOs that insist upon this farcical exercise would be down the market selling bbq chicken out of a handcart where they belong...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

They already have the info for every consular officer that is sent to them by an embassy or consulate. They just have to compare the two signatures, stamps and etc.

• Like 1