Crocodile spotted in Nan river in Phitsanuloke

rooster59

Crocodile spotted in Nan river in Phitsanuloke

IMG_6712.png

Rescue workers and villagers tried unsuccessfully to catch a crocodile found in the Nan river in Muang district of Phitsanuloke province on Friday.

Village 5 headman Hasdin Wart-in told reporters that residents of his village stumbled on the one-metre croc sun-bathing on the bank of the river and tried to catch it, but it dashed into the river.

They then reported the finding to the headman who alerted rescue workers who immediately arrived at the village and then launched a search of the beast with the help of the villagers.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/crocodile-spotted-in-nan-river-in-phitsanuloke/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-19

3 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

Looks like it may be bigger than 1.0m in length ? Are these protected or considered "fare game" ?

It is 99.99% certain this is a released animal. I have no idea why people would want to release such an animal. It will also probably be a hybrid estuarine / Siamese crocodile.

Since the Siamese crocodile was long since extirpated from the Nan river, this is, in answer to your question, 'fair game'. Best left to the relevant authorities though.

4 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

Looks like it may be bigger than 1.0m in length ? Are these protected or considered "fare game" ?

If its the native Siamese Crocodile they are critically endangered.... very near to extinction.  However, that does not seem to afford them any form of protection here sadly.

I don't know whey people can't just leave them alone!  They don't prey of humans or large prey.. instead they feed on fish, amphibians and snakes. No unprovoked attacks have ever been known. 

I would love to see wild Siamese Crocodiles living here in Thailand.  But people here seem to just want to kill and eat every creature that moves. 

4 hours ago, tonray said:
4 hours ago, tonray said:

"The headman was anxious to catch the croc as he has been wanting a pair of crocodile boots for ages"

"The headman was anxious to catch the croc as he has been wanting a pair of crocodile boots for ages"

As he went in search of the reptile he was heard playing and singing Jimmy Nail's Crocodile shoes  :cheesy:

Jak2002003 has it exactly right. That is why they are endangered. One day my wife came home from a village with a 3 kilo turtle that had 6 legs. It was sold to her, or anyone who would buy it, to eat. We turned it loose in the wilds of a river bottom near us.