National police spokesman tells the public: Be fair to us, don't damage our image

rooster59

Just as an interesting aside -- the unnamed newspaper is running a story in which 15 soldiers busted a gambling den in Bangkok last night and arrested 38 gamblers. Soldiers, not BIBs. Normally, it takes 100 BIBs to raid such dens, and in the normal course of events, many gamblers manage to escape the police dragnet erected around the premises. Every single time. Very sus. But last night, one-sixth the number of "law enforcers" were deployed, and every gambler was nabbed. Says it all, really.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, sendintheclowns said:

Interesting. However, not sure;  are you being serious or joking? Your customers (assumed, since some are aliens)  were fined 20K on the spot for drunk driving. Do you agree with this method ? ie of damaging their pocket book? or do you think that they should be taken to the police station and have their driving license withheld temporarily until a court hearing (despite how ridiculous that sounds). I'd prefer the latter. I can't imagine how anyone can live in Pattaya, based on reports out of there. I'm not picking on Pattaya, btw. Phuket is getting really bad, too. 

The 20K on the spot never saw the state coffers, obviously. I'd prefer the latter too. In Europe if you are getting caught DUI then your license is withheld and someone (sober) will take you home; no time for jail, bond blabla. Alternatively the police gets you a taxi with two drivers, one cabbie for you and the other one will drive your car home. Uncheap, but pretty effective. 
Here the "implementation" is to line the pockets of the BIB only and, as nobody wants to stay in the slammer for the weekend (if you get caught Friday evening then they book you until Monday to see the judge) - they pay. And like anything else, two tier policy; as a local yocal you get 50% discount with 10K - as so witnessed from customers. 

7 hours ago, Loeilad said:

QED - doremifasol - A classic example of underestimating the extent of corruption in Thailand - In reality, the culture of an institution  dictates the behaviour of its members - if you are asked by your boss to join in a corrupt activity you have in effect, no choice. You either take part of become a pariah.....your job most people underestimate the extent of corruption in Thailand and there is a n example -  are zero and by not whistle-blowing you re of course just as corrupt as your colleagues

Watch "Serpico" !

Edited by sambum

3 hours ago, Freed1948 said:

They will never gain respect until they enact on the existing laws.

1. Patrol the roads instead of sitting in the Police boxes.

2. Sit at the Pedestrian crossings and fine anyone not giving way to pedestrians.

3. Tow away illegally parked vehicles.

4. Do what Police are supposed to do.

1,2 and 3 are all covered by 4, surely? And should that not apply to all aspects of Police work - not just traffic cops?

13 hours ago, Loeilad said:

QED - doremifasol - A classic example of underestimating the extent of corruption in Thailand - In reality, the culture of an institution  dictates the behaviour of its members - if you are asked by your boss to join in a corrupt activity you have in effect, no choice. You either take part of become a pariah.....your job most people underestimate the extent of corruption in Thailand and there is a n example -  are zero and by not whistle-blowing you re of course just as corrupt as your colleagues

I didn't underestimate anything, just spoke from personal experience.

BTW, if I am asked by my boss to join in a corrupt activity I actually do have a choice,

I just say no.

Would that make me an outcast? So be it.

Cheers

17 minutes ago, doremifasol said:

BTW, if I am asked by my boss to join in a corrupt activity I actually do have a choice,

I just say no.

Cheers

Outcast and probably jobless - but I think that you wouldn't want to be working for a corrupt boss - right?

4 hours ago, doremifasol said:

I just say no.

Cheers

Your reply just shows the paucity of your thinking...and do you seriously think your boss is going to keep you on if you refuse?????

10 hours ago, doremifasol said:

I just say no.

Cheers

..and how do you think that might work inside a police force?

4 hours ago, sambum said:

As I said earlier - watch "Serpico"!

mmmmm...that was a movie .

I presume you have seen the Serpico mud-flaps on trucks - have you ever wondered why......

anyone who has seen the movie - which follows the hollywood format ((e.g. standard plot line), will know what happena to poice who don't fit in and how thew majority will always choose the corrupt or "easier" way.

Edited by Loeilad

19 hours ago, Loeilad said:

mmmmm...that was a movie .

I presume you have seen the Serpico mud-flaps on trucks - have you ever wondered why......

anyone who has seen the movie - which follows the hollywood format ((e.g. standard plot line), will know what happena to poice who don't fit in and how thew majority will always choose the corrupt or "easier" way.

"anyone who has seen the movie ................ will know what happena to poice who don't fit in and how thew majority will always choose the corrupt or "easier" way." 

I agree, yes it's just a movie, but it does illustrate the possible outcome/prospects for any potential whistle blowers in the RTP, (and other organisations) which is the point that I was making.

• 2 weeks later...