We want our sea back! Fishermen mad after hotel uses Pattaya seaside to build swimming pool

rooster59

2 hours ago, Commogwinto said:

It's taken the "Fishermen" over 20 years to realise that particular section of beach is no longer there? must be night fishermen if they haven't seen it before now?

More likely, they've been gritting their teeth in frustration for over 20 years, and finally feel empowered by what they see going on in Koh Samet, Bali Hai Pier, and beach & land encroachment around the country.

Edited by impulse

19 hours ago, ableguy said:

What a dreamer you are.

:sorry:  Yup but only because "authorities" do not seem to have the nous how to deal quickly and effectively with problems. They will just talk everyone to death, do nothing and hope the passage of time will make the problem disappear from public concern.

Perhaps, if the Pattaya council gave permission then they should bear the costs to restore the shoreline?

And what has the Marine Department been doing all these years?

Spending ill-gotten gains? :whistling:

Am I allowed to say "Que sera sera"?

On 11/19/2016 at 7:08 PM, samjaidee said:

A fisherman being a professional and an angler a hobbyist?

I'm always planning on popping down to Pattaya to try and hook up with a couple of little anglers in a bar somewhere. Preferably hobbyists or "just cashiers", not professionals.555

Edited by The Deerhunter

22 hours ago, fish monger said:

Excuse me, but the pool was constructed 21 years ago...! The guy was popped because he was renting rooms by the day instead of the month as the permit states. Try doing some research folks...You can start with BP...Half the story is missing here....!

Most are responding to the Post#1...

Says nothing about the legal status of the build it is part of.

These would be the same fishermen that pollute the beaches and seas, killing countless of it's creatures, with plastic bottles, ropes, polystyrene, discarded buoys, glass bottles, etc etc. The fishermen of this region seem to have more disrespect for the hand that feeds them than any other group of people I know.

25 minutes ago, Katipo said:

These would be the same fishermen that pollute the beaches and seas, killing countless of it's creatures, with plastic bottles, ropes, polystyrene, discarded buoys, glass bottles, etc etc.

Probably not, because I don't know why commercial fishermen would be complaining about their access being blocked to a stretch of beach.   They have boats, after all- and generally don't fish along the shoreline.  

More likely it's sport fishermen who like to dip a line off one section of beach or another.  I count myself as one of them.  Some of us actually clean up after ourselves when we pack up and go home.  Of course, some of them don't.

41 minutes ago, Katipo said:

These would be the same fishermen that pollute the beaches and seas, killing countless of it's creatures, with plastic bottles, ropes, polystyrene, discarded buoys, glass bottles, etc etc. The fishermen of this region seem to have more disrespect for the hand that feeds them than any other group of people I know.

No. Not the same.  Shore based anglers are not the same as sea fleet based fishermen. 

Pattaya City orders Golden Cliff House hotel to demolish swimming pool in 45 days

540_Pattaya1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- The Pattaya City and the military today shut down the operation of the Golden Cliff House hotel in Pattaya temporarily as it put up an official notice ordering it's owner to demolish the swimming pool and other structures which jut into the sea illegally within 45 days.

Leading the team of Pattaya City officials and soldiers from the 21st Infantry Regiment of the Royal Guards to put up the sign was the head of the Pattaya City Mr Chanatpong Sriviset.

The local authorities also sealed off the entrance to the hotel with barrier tape to enforce the order  suspending  the operation of the hotel on a temporary basis.

The suspension of the hotel service came after authorities found that the owner misused the building as hotel instead of residential purposes as stated in its licence.

The place was licensed as residential building but it was used as hotel instead which is against the Building Control Act 2522.

The suspension of service will be lifted once the owner has applied proper hotel license from local authorities.

The notice ordered the owner to demolish the swimming pool and other structures that were built into the sea within 45 days.

Meanwhile the hotel management today also banned entry by media representatives to observe the place.

It also announced suspension of hotel service temporarily.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pattaya-city-orders-golden-cliff-house-hotel-to-demolish-swimming-pool-in-45-days/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-22

On 11/20/2016 at 5:04 PM, lvr181 said:

:sorry:  Yup but only because "authorities" do not seem to have the nous how to deal quickly and effectively with problems. They will just talk everyone to death, do nothing and hope the passage of time will make the problem disappear from public concern.

Perhaps, if the Pattaya council gave permission then they should bear the costs to restore the shoreline?

And what has the Marine Department been doing all these years?

Spending ill-gotten gains? :whistling:

Am I allowed to say "Que sera sera"?

The marine department say they didn't know the swim pool was there. How quaint.

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

The marine department say they didn't know the swim pool was there. How quaint.

Yup. But maybe they just didn't want to know because that would mean doing some work for their pay. Heaven forbid! Being the King's land perhaps they should be charged with les majeste (corrupt use)?