Samed – tough action could mean the return of beauty for one of Thailand’s loveliest islands

Inspire

Samed – tough action could mean the return of beauty for one of Thailand’s loveliest islands

samed-main.jpg

Tourists visiting Koh Samed over the years could have been forgiven for not understanding why they were being asked to pay National Park fees to enter the holiday island.

For all intents and purposes it looked as commercial and as exploited as most other beachside places in Thailand. Despite its natural beauty it has been full of song thaews, motorbikes, beach vendors and businesses of every kind for the best part of four decades.

Not to mention the ubiquitous speedboats and jetski hauled banana boats in its pleasant Gulf of Thailand waters. Sure, there were no very tall buildings but there were an ever increasing number of resorts and other businesses set up there that meant it looked anything but a national park.

Parts of it looked more like Pattaya.

I first went there in 1982 and the signs were already obvious that the island was under the control of a shady mafia. I stayed on Candlelight Beach that had just one small operator. It was idyllic and I got to know the lady who ran the six bungalows and the restaurant.

She told me coolly one day that her husband had been shot dead in Rayong in a dispute about their beachfront operation. She remained alone for many years in a low key operation before being bought out by people who built bungalows all along the beach and up the hillside.

Slowly but surely the island was taken over and developed. A national park fee was introduced but it has emerged this week that most of that went into the hands of influential figures who have robbed hundreds of millions from the state and from the island in protection rackets.

Now – if the authorities are to believed – all that is set to change as the state, and principally the National Park Authority attempt to reclaim the island and return it to its former glory of some forty years ago when camping was the norm and entertainment was a sing-a-long with a guitar at night.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/samed-tough-action-mean-return-beauty-one-thailands-loveliest-islands/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2016-11-19

A national park fee was introduced but it has emerged this week that most of that went into the hands of influential figures who have robbed hundreds of millions from the state and from the island in protection rackets.

Of course they made millions; Thai entry fee 40baht, foreigner entry fee 200baht (400% more expensive for foreigners)

I am not against dual prices as long as it is reasonable.

Stayed there years ago.  Never even knew it was a national park until years later.  Met a young farang woman in Hong Kong several years back that said that she bought a house there.  She said she got around the land ownership issue by being a "Buddhist".  A lovely place.  Let's hope it is going to be left alone rather than just replacing one mafia with another.  

We go there often but never stay on the island. Stay at Ban Pe, which has far better restaurants, shops, and better & cheaper places to stay. We take the ferry over in the morning, spend the day at one of the nice beaches, then return to Ban Pe late afternoon. 

2 hours ago, ezflip said:

A national park fee was introduced but it has emerged this week that most of that went into the hands of influential figures who have robbed hundreds of millions from the state and from the island in protection rackets.

Of course they made millions; Thai entry fee 40baht, foreigner entry fee 200baht (400% more expensive for foreigners)

Samet last time I was there was way 'tourist price, tourist poor quality', left a sour taste for me, and thought that it must have been beautiful before 'we' destroyed it by going there (and all the local businesses that pop up to meet demand).  Koh Chang although it was years earlier didn't seem expensive to me as islands go, and more like normal living prices.

Regarding boarding prices, I would say "residents free, all others flat rate", as I have a foreigner know it all bias (correct or not) that makes me feel that Westerners will spread the money around a lot more than tour groups or Thais that would eat in one place and bring their own bottle.

Edited by Shiver

2 hours ago, ezflip said:

I figure i get paid about 4x Thai salary.

And even with that, teachers that show valid school ID rarely have to pay.

Seems reasonable to me.

But its gotten too expensive (hotel, food, drinks) to go regularly.

I go to the beaches in Rayong and other mainland areas instead. 

Nice beach, 1/3 the cost.

Nuff said.

Just someone else getting their fingers grubby ..

A gangster coup ..thats all..nothing will change, only where the money goes.

Can anyone seriously imagine this island being returned to its former state...hotel taken down etc?  The amount of work to erase all those structure...never in a million , billion years.

They cant even fix the pot holes in my town never mind recover an island.

19 minutes ago, simonuk said:

Just someone else getting their fingers grubby ..

A gangster coup ..thats all..nothing will change, only where the money goes.

Can anyone seriously imagine this island being returned to its former state...hotel taken down etc?  The amount of work to erase all those structure...never in a million , billion years.

They cant even fix the pot holes in my town never mind recover an island.

Am afraid you're right. They would have to tear down those small shacks used as 'hotel rooms' and compensate owners for their losses, plus many buildings. Can't be. I'll go there next year just to see what's been done by then.

all small islands (and not only in Thailand, in Malaysia, Philippines etc as well !) are ruled by Mafia figures (= local politicians and police). Almost impossible to get rid of it. Once a place has been "cleaned", the next generation of Mafiosi is already waiting eagerly

I go to Samed every year for many years . I can't see them tearing down all the multi million baht hotels and guest houses but think they should all be taxed fairly and legally . they should also be obligated to keep the beach cleaned every morning. It will be great to see the speedboats, jet skis and banana boats gone so it is safe in the water again . I would love to see it the way it was 20 years ago but that isn't possible but if the dark influences are removed maybe it will be better and possibly the rates and prices will be reduced. I know I am dreaming but who knows . 

I recall going to Samed about 4 years ago. Stayed first night at a hotel booked online. Was expensive and "not nice". Second night stayed in a slightly less expensive place but it was average. Third night found "Samed Villas". Cheaper still yet best of all the prior hotels. It goes to show that you don't always "get what you pay for". Didn't find the island particularly inspiring I must say.

Spoke to people just back from Samet last winter. . They were not impressed, said it was more expensive than Chang and even Phuket for what it offered. Also said the beaches were not nice white sand, but yellow and dirty. Is this true ? I'm always thinking of going for a few days break, i know all the other islands well. It would be principally to swim in clear waters as where I stay the waters are filthy so I keep to my pool. And how about the ferries ? Which are the best/safest ?

5 hours ago, gamini said:

it seems to need the army to sort out these problems. Lets hope they do the same  in Pi Pi islands and get rid of the so called dive shops and fast farang food outlets which have trashed the place.

There are more mafia Islands that could be cleaned up.....Koh Samui, Koh Phanghan, koh Lanta, Koh Chang, Koh Pi Pi.......etc...

7 hours ago, TSF said:

We go there often but never stay on the island. Stay at Ban Pe, which has far better restaurants, shops, and better & cheaper places to stay. We take the ferry over in the morning, spend the day at one of the nice beaches, then return to Ban Pe late afternoon. 

Incredibly smart but I visiting an island for the day like in Europe or US when you can sleep on the beach in Thailand for just a little bit more is so ridiculous in my opinion. But I guess that all people going with you think that you are smart ?

Great place to take the chosen one from walking street. Many a sexpat out and about on white sands. Cheap bungalows with buzzing aircon filled with hot bodies, thrashing around making rude noises. Pancake sellers, beer on the beach, some sat in deckchairs, shades on, can of Chang in one hand and an LM lit with ash hanging off in the other.

Sporty types are out on a ramble checking out the coastal rock formations. Issan girls are chatting asking where they can buy somtam.

Yes Koh Samet your cheap Samui or Koh Chang. Then you get the ferry back to the mainland and travel by tuk tuk through the pineapple plantations arriving at Nana mid afternoon.

Whether Thailand or America or any other place, you cannot turn back the clock and restore what has been lost. Sad truth. I am sad for my country America, it is going down faster than anything or anyone will ever be able to stop. But I love Thailand and would rather live there where there is still much to be seen and experienced

Whether Thailand or America or any other place, you cannot turn back the clock and restore what has been lost. Sad truth. I am sad for my country America, it is going down faster than anything or anyone will ever be able to stop. But I love Thailand and would rather live there where there is still much to be seen and experienced

Ahh, the signs of aging are creeping up slowly on poor old Jonathan Swift.

22 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Stayed there years ago.  Never even knew it was a national park until years later.  Met a young farang woman in Hong Kong several years back that said that she bought a house there.  She said she got around the land ownership issue by being a "Buddhist".  A lovely place.  Let's hope it is going to be left alone rather than just replacing one mafia with another.  

55.Being Buddhist trumps being a farang.I'm off to buy some land,just have to find those amulets i bought in KS.

20 hours ago, AGLV0121 said:

Am afraid you're right. They would have to tear down those small shacks used as 'hotel rooms' and compensate owners for their losses, plus many buildings. Can't be. I'll go there next year just to see what's been done by then.

Compensation for what,building in a national park?Oh you have a bit of paper from somebody that knows somebody.Good luck with that.

I was in Samet in the summer, so, low season

I hadn't been for 17 or 18 years. It was quiet, yes, tad over priced on food but minimal effort you can find street food of reasonable price (I love steet food anyway).

Certainly not much 'partying' going on, thought it was pretty quiet. No idea what it's like in high season, a lot of Chinese tourists but all things considered I was impressed that it looked so nice. Thought the beaches were excellent tbh, well, not the main one, boats, jet skis, tourists, etc but Ao Phai (next main one down?)

Quite a relaxed place, mellow, surprised at how quiet it was even for low season. I am generally around in low season and even low season in places like Ko Chang I find waaaay busier than Samet was