Sangklaburi to Mae Sot.

dictater

I spoke with a rider recently who told me it was possible to ride from Sangklaburi through the protected area to Umpang and on to Mae Sot. There is a pass that must be obtained, and some tricky navigating from what I can see on google earth. Anyone else done this ride, according to the guy I spoke with there are Thai riders there all the time, the only limitation he told me about was that the guards don't allow single riders to go through, which I would be. Any further information would be great as Im planning on doing this trip next week. 

Was thinking of similar journey but from Kanchanaburi onto Sisawat then onward to Mae Sot. Didn't know about the pass thing so will look at maps again. Yep there's quite a few middle of nowhere turns to find and my experience of most of these turns in the countryside is no sign ..ask a local.

Did a route from Ban Pong to Dan Makaam Tia, through Suan Pheung valley, Baan Ka then down to Keng Krachan recently .... was nice about 300kms and yep 3 stops to ask a policman or local ... but that Mae sot finish looks a cracker eh.

Be nice if anyone has more info on the route and the Umphang pass thing. Enjoy it if you can do it.

I popped into the forestry department office at the south side of Thung Naraesuwan last year. I asked how I can ride to Umphang and their response was "You can't." I have seen a vid of a rider and guide going through the Burmese side, but the same end-points... Hope you confirm it is possible in some form or other...

A former poster, bigbikebkk, still active on other Thai forums (I think) has done a few photo threads about doing it.

the last one was about 2 years ago, with about 10 riders and one professional guide leading the way. It was cutting into Burma at parts.

His name is Tony. Shouldn't be too hard to find those other forum threads using google.

17 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Copy and Paste this into google:

gt-rider Offroad Riding from Sangkhlaburi to Umphang

and

gt-rider the missing link

Those are two threads that cover it. 

Those photo threads are fantastic. Thank you.