Thailand’s Justice Minister Stands Firm on Removing Krathom and Marijuana from Narcotic Drug List

webfact

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The trouble with these threads is that the topic quickly gets shifted to the legalisation particularly by the pro-cannabis side.

My point is the thread is discussed as if Thailand were a developed Western nation with a firm rule of law, without endemic corruption and the ability to make mature decisions in the national interest and not in the interest of powerful lobby groups.

I would like to see more posters focusing on the legalisation of drugs in a Thai context and not in an American or European context which is largely irrelevant here.

IMO, Corruption is endemic in every country, it's just more openly discussed in Thailand.

The logic in the OP is understandable but I feel it would have been better to mention:

Health benefits and what has happened to crime and accident stats in countries (or states) that have legalised cannabis use.

In 1937 Thailand's second prime minister, General Phot Phahonyothin, criminalized cannabis in Thailand by passing the country's first law specifically targeting cannabis, the Marijuana Act B.E. 2477 (1937).

Sections 5, 6 and 9 of the Marijuana Act mandated that anyone who plants or possesses marijuana seeds, or who imports or exports marijuana, would be subject to imprisonment for up to one year, or to a fine not exceeding Bt500 (about $16.50*).

Sections 7, 8 and 10 of the Act imposed a jail sentence of not more than six months or a fine not exceeding Bt200 ($6.62*) for those who were caught possessing, buying, selling or using marijuana. Those who had already planted marijuana before the Act was passed were given one year in which to harvest and dispose of their crop.

What were the crime and accident stats before then ?

For the full story follow this link:

http://www.thailawforum.com/history-of-marijuana-cannabis-thailand.html

6 hours ago, jaltsc said:

“He believes the move is necessary because the government has failed to curb them.

I agree with this move, but the logic baffles me.

Is he going to remove road rage violence, murders, etc. from the crime list because the government has failed to curb them?

I'm not saying It's the smartest idea, nor do i condone it, as it does tend to be a gateway drug. However,  "Is he going to remove road rage violence, murders, etc" Its not a bad way to remove the majority of these crimes.

Most of them will be to stoned to be angry, but in saying that, some Thai's are slow at the best of times. The 5 second rule when the traffic light turns green might become a 15 second one..

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He believes the move is necessary because the government has failed to curb them.

Translation we have done a shitty job in trying to remove these drugs and because of this we will continue in the same shitty style of the past to eradicate them. Once our shitty approach of eradicating them proves to be successful we will definitely legalize them. Thank you for your understanding. 

Kratom has been used for centuries here for  helping  with treating diarrhea through to those coming off opiates. Certain members of my family use it and I have tried it on a few occasions. To me its a bit like a good cup of coffee, with a slight tinge of something else, it seems pretty mild. Rice farmers use it while planting to give an energy boost and to stave off the monotany of the work. I can see that it would help. Putting people in prison for eating a leaf that growns naturally all over Thailand is a huge waste of money, time and resources. 

6 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

There's no money in rice or rubber, they should get the rice farmers farming hemp to sell overseas to countries which are loosening their laws on cannabis consumption.

State controlled hemp production could a real cash cow for Thailand. 

Yes your right better to have a cash cow than to keep flogging a dead horse. 

Didn't take long to find the proof of these random urine drug tests. There's plenty of news and horror stories of tourists getting tested, fined, black mailed, imprisoned, etc. Just read this link-
http://www.cannabis.info/gb/abc/10006898-weed-in-thailand-law-and-reality&hloc=1

Google 'overstay hostel bangkok arrested.'

Every guest of the hostel was subjected to a drug test for marijuana. All who failed the test were arrested and most have now made bail but their passports are being held until trial.

This happened around two weeks ago.

4 minutes ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Kratom has been used for centuries here for  helping  with treating diarrhea through to those coming off opiates. Certain members of my family use it and I have tried it on a few occasions. To me its a bit like a good cup of coffee, with a slight tinge of something else, it seems pretty mild. Rice farmers use it while planting to give an energy boost and to stave off the monotany of the work. I can see that it would help. Putting people in prison for eating a leaf that growns naturally all over Thailand is a huge waste of money, time and resources. 

Please quote me a time and pick your country when governments have ever been known to be smart. Take your time I will not set my stop watch.

1 minute ago, hohososo said:

Google 'overstay hostel bangkok arrested.'

Every guest of the hostel was subjected to a drug test for marijuana. All who failed the test were arrested and most have now made bail but their passports are being held until trial.

This happened around two weeks ago.

Reverse ransom. You pay or you stay. 

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

No, they can stop you in the street and make you take a piss test right where you stand. If you refuse it's off to the station for resisting a police officer. If the test shows drug use, you will be arrested. 

So if you come from a maryauna legal country, you could be arrested on the day you arrive. 

No they can't

Urine test must me done at police station.

Unless you re suspected of anything they can t control you without a supervisor

Know your rights

6 hours ago, jaltsc said:

“He believes the move is necessary because the government has failed to curb them.

Is he going to remove road rage violence, murders, etc. from the crime list because the government has failed to curb them?

You really think lawmakers are incapable of evaluating the level of harm between murder and these items in question?

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Wow. A story that isn't completely silly and makes sense. A rarerety on Thaivisa.

Yes we do strike gold once in a while. Rarity not rarerety When you get the red line underneath a word its time to call in Mr. Google. What would we ever do without him. Are the old encyclopedia's a collectors item yet. I know I am. 

Just now, Johnniey said:

If you are going to comment on someone writing ability, it would be wise not to make simple mistakes yourself!

2 question marks(?) missing and why on earth put an apostrophe(') here, "encyclopedia's"? 

Some here are native speakers and don't need Google to point out their errors.

Thanks teach what we ever do without you. Put the verbal whip away all is in funny (left the correction door open for you) Have a great day carry on teaching. 

No they can't
Urine test must me done at police station.
Unless you re suspected of anything they can t control you without a supervisor
Know your rights

You are correct as that is the law.

However in practice, when the police raid bars, all the patrons are urine tested in the bar. If you fail the test you then go to hospital for a blood test which is more accurate.

The good news if you fail the test and are jailed for having consumed marijuana within the past 90 days, is there will be no need to do pesky visa runs while awaiting trial.

7 hours ago, jaltsc said:

The logic makes sense to me.  The west needs to realize it and remove all "drugs" from their lists.  Look how it would empty the prisons in the US and stop the world wide waste of time, money and lives in countries like Mexico.

Maryjane to become a medicinal herb's.krathom leaves the same?
Does that mean that all the druggies here will be calling every one 'Man' and cuddling cops and telling them how much they love them?
i cant wait:sad:

Ah at least it causes far less agression than alcohol. If there was ever a substance that caused problems it was alcohol.

7 hours ago, fruitman said:

There's enough money in rice and rubber as long as you produce it on an efficient large scale and sell to the right customer.

Thai mariuhana is full of seeds which lowers the quality, they better improve that first.

Disagree with your money in rubber and to a certain extent rice but both are produced on a large scale but the world price of rubber has crashed which has decimated even the efficient plantations.

Agree that Thai grass is low grade which is a shame. In the seventies Buddha Sticks were considered the best and strongest grass in the world. It was comparable to hash and gave a lovely high. Maybe it will be resurrected if it goes legal. Regardless I will carry on making my tea just as I like it. (gave up smoking a while back)

robblok.

Do you know,i was waiting for a post like yours,about alcohol.Isnt it just a little bit boring now? you can make as many cases for drugs as you can booze.You just seem one of the 'na,na nana,na' group.Drugs can kill as much as booze can,inadvertently,or decidedly.In both societies there will be those who over use,and those who can keep it to a modicum.You,old son,are one of the 'lets get on the band wagon of judging everything by your own opinions.I bet there are many people on this forum who can have a drink,and dont want to bash any body,and pot heads,who wont drive their car because they know its dangerous.

You need to stop being such a child with the ,"yeah, ok,but what about booze then" you are simply repeating an old,old, argument that can never be  settled.

My post contained a whisper of humour,but you couldnt see that.

So,go home,put on your Salvation Army uniform and stand on the corner of Klang and 2nd and preach to those that will listen.

Btw,Your no relation to William Boothe are you.(if you dont know who he was,look him up)

3 hours ago, Grubster said:

Hemp is a very useful crop for many things and could open new industries here in Thailand helping many people, it is the strongest plant fiber in the world and will be big in the rope, textile, plastic, etc industries. Smartest thing they could do right now.

You can also run a diesel engine on hemp oil.

Disagree with your money in rubber and to a certain extent rice but both are produced on a large scale but the world price of rubber has crashed which has decimated even the efficient plantations.

Agree that Thai grass is low grade which is a shame. In the seventies Buddha Sticks were considered the best and strongest grass in the world. It was comparable to hash and gave a lovely high. Maybe it will be resurrected if it goes legal. Regardless I will carry on making my tea just as I like it. (gave up smoking a while back)

You could be arrested for conspiracy to consume marijuana by discussing your plan to drink marijuana infused tea. If convicted, jail and rehab is possible.

Good guys in, bad guys out.

9 minutes ago, hohososo said:

You could be arrested for conspiracy to consume marijuana by discussing your plan to drink marijuana infused tea. If convicted, jail and rehab is possible.

Good guys in, bad guys out.

Well thank for drawing everyone's attention to my 'conspiracy'

Gotta go, can hear the sirens!

Purely from a Medical perspective, I think that this is a great move. I really think that this is the type of people who should remain in power and hope that he runs in the next elections. He has the calibre to be a great Prime Minister too. Actually speaking, the NCPO and Prayut seems to be doing a great job with the exception of their negative attitudes and policies  towards foreigners , if not they would be excellent leaders for the next few decades and for God;s sake, stop putting the blame of the economic stituation on them, it dues to cumulative reasons including some that were dated back prior to their times and also the global situation.

28 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Drugs can kill as much as booze can,inadvertently,or decidedly.In both societies there will be those who over use,and those who can keep it to a modicum.

Wrong and if drugs were legalized the divide would be even greater.

I know in Scotland that 3 out of 4 cases in court are alcohol related. 

Comparing marijuana to alcohol is quite frankly stupid. it's like comparing heroin to sugar.

The only thing that marijuana did for me that was negative was lead me to bad people and then I bought other, more dangerous drugs like amphetamines off them. If they were all legal, this wouldn't happen.

heroin deaths are mostly caused by the impure crap being sold on the streets.