Shadow of Trump presidency looms large at APEC summit

webfact

Shadow of Trump presidency looms large at APEC summit

606x341_350102.jpg

LIMA: -- President Obama may be flying the flag for the US at this year’s APEC summit but the shadow of Donald Trump is looming large.

All eyes are on China after Trump’s surprise election victory dashed hopes of the US-proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal coming to fruition.

Leaders of Asia-Pacific countries are seeking new free-trade options.

Their host in Lima, Peru’s President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski, recalled APEC’s objectives on Saturday.

“Naturally it is not just trade that matters. It is investment. It is employment. It is labour and labour has to be part of our effort otherwise they will feel left out and they are an essential part of this,” he said.

Obama had championed the TPP as a way to counter China’s rise.

But he has now stopped trying to win Congressional approval for the deal signed by 12 economies in the Americas and Asia-Pacific, excluding China. Without US approval the current agreement cannot be implemented.

Trump campaigned against the TPP and the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) as bad for US jobs.

Now if the new US administration does back away from free trade, Beijing looks set to fill the void.

with Reuters

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-21

This TPP thing AGAIN.

The Trans-Pacific Partnership was something that was toxic and poisonous. I really doubt that a country like Japan wanted to have anything to do with it. Why would Japan want to be flooded by cheap imported goods from places like Vietnam and Indonesia ?

As for America, most Americans simply don't want it. Trump is against it, and so was Bernie Sanders. Hillary didn't say much about it, she knew by openly supporting the TPP, well, she would lose votes by doing that. I reckon Hillary secretly wanted to support it,  I think her intent was to say very little about it, and then quitely carry it out after becoming president.

"Obama had championed the TPP as a way to counter China’s rise " See, this is what makes the whole TPP thing look so absurd and ridiculous. If Washington wanted to counter China's rise, well, why not just dis-courage Walmart importing a mountain of cheap goods from China ?  This can be done by simply putting some serious taxes on the Chinese imports.

Sadly now even though I oppose TPPTA the American withdrawal will ultimately push Asian and Pacific Nations into free trade Agreements with Russia and China.

Already the NZ Prime Minister is seeking a better free trade agreement with China. And to kick start the free Trade agreement shelved over the Crimea.

Isolationism and a closed economy are what imploded the World economy in the 1929 stock market crash.

As was said before" Those who do not learn from the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat them"

7 hours ago, webfact said:

“Naturally it is not just trade that matters. It is investment. It is employment. It is labour and labour has to be part of our effort otherwise they will feel left out and they are an essential part of this,” he said.

Well Western workers there you have it. Kiss your job goodbye so that it can say hello to a much cheaper working Asian. Maybe the Republicans will keep the basics in place for you Food Stamps etc. or maybe like in the deep south they will dream up some idea to put you back to work but then all the illegal Mexicans would be without work. Change the Right to Work part to Make you Work. I found the above comment so hilarious I want to vomit. Yes you are left out of this essential part. Big business will again run the table thanks to their political allies and you will be left outside in the cold as winter approaches. You have to sadly wait it out in the cold till this election cycle runs its course more like an obstacle course for the poor and disabled.