Legally And Safely Owning Land

And in chapter 2, section 22 of that same act as quoted above, it states:

A person of Thai nationality who has been naturalised as an alien, or has renounced Thai nationality, or whose Thai nationality has been revoked, shall lose Thai nationality.

And this small statement has been enough for Thai authorities to seize land that was bought by a Thai national who had been naturalised as an alien.

This was part of the amendments made in 2535 (14 years ago) and this same act has been amended again on 21st July 2538 (11 years ago).

This act doesn't stop Thai nationals from becoming naturalised as an alien, as section 13 says, but it does say that a Thai national who is naturalised as an alien shall lose Thai nationality.

The Thai government will not chase you down and tell you. A Thai citizen can happily use their dual passports and keep updating their Thai ID card but in law they are no longer seen as Thai citizens.

So before buying some Thai land as a dual passport holder then consider the huge risk involved - go see a Thai lawyer. They'll probably tell you to renounce your alien citizenship.

There are probably no risks travelling to and from Thailand with dual passports. There are no fines that I know of. So if this is all you are worried about then there is nothing really to worry about.

Please, if you are trying DIY law work, either read each act very, very carefully or I'd suggest getting professional help.

JamnJam clearly you have a good grip on Thai Law, and your comment above supports a decision I made 18 years ago when all our property was bought in the TW's "mothers" name and mother and stepfather have lived on it since then.

They were the days before the new rules in regard to TW's owning land and I was advised then of the risks involved in game playing. I was also advised that my TW could legally inheirit the property should her mother die.

Unfortunately this has recently occurred, can you please advise me if you comment above applies to her (my TW) now legally owning the land etc. It is of particular interest because (a) She does not want any risk of losing it. (:o Her will leaves it to her sons (my stepsons) on her demise.

A person of Thai nationality who has been naturalised as an alien, or has renounced Thai nationality, or whose Thai nationality has been revoked, shall lose Thai nationality.

And this small statement has been enough for Thai authorities to seize land that was bought by a Thai national who had been naturalised as an alien.

This was part of the amendments made in 2535 (14 years ago) and this same act has been amended again on 21st July 2538 (11 years ago).

This act doesn't stop Thai nationals from becoming naturalised as an alien, as section 13 says, but it does say that a Thai national who is naturalised as an alien shall lose Thai nationality.

The Thai government will not chase you down and tell you. A Thai citizen can happily use their dual passports and keep updating their Thai ID card but in law they are no longer seen as Thai citizens.

So before buying some Thai land as a dual passport holder then consider the huge risk involved - go see a Thai lawyer. They'll probably tell you to renounce your alien citizenship.

There are probably no risks travelling to and from Thailand with dual passports. There are no fines that I know of. So if this is all you are worried about then there is nothing really to worry about.

Please, if you are trying DIY law work, either read each act very, very carefully or I'd suggest getting professional help.

JamnJam clearly you have a good grip on Thai Law, and your comment above supports a decision I made 18 years ago when all our property was bought in the TW's "mothers" name and mother and stepfather have lived on it since then.

They were the days before the new rules in regard to TW's owning land and I was advised then of the risks involved in game playing. I was also advised that my TW could legally inheirit the property should her mother die.

Unfortunately this has recently occurred, can you please advise me if you comment above applies to her (my TW) now legally owning the land etc. It is of particular interest because (a) She does not want any risk of losing it. (:o Her will leaves it to her sons (my stepsons) on her demise.

You and your wife acted before the law was changed. That is your rightful defence. In terms of acts to defend the matter I'll have to refer to my friends who are Thai judges and lawyers. In your case you definitely probably don't want to advertise the fact to anybody you can't trust. I'm Australian by birth. Let me seek some advice before answering any further. Hopefully it will help others to understand the rights in the same position as you. If your wife (I'm assuming) keeps her mother surname, keeps updating her ID card and lives as a regular Thai person, I doubt, at this time, that officials will notice. But one day, who knows, the government my want to be "more strict" about the nationality law than they are today.

Keep posted.

I can't find what started this thread started but.............

You don't say if your wife has ever been naturlised as an alien and I'm no expert but reading what you have stated here, if she has then when her parents die and hand the property to her she is at risk of having it seized. There may be a case for handing it straight to your sons.

However I should seek further advice because as you say the law on Thai's married to an alien has changed again in recent years

Also I would think there are now ways to make her ownership secure as this must affect thousands who own property in Thailand, not just Thais married to foreigners but Thais who work abroad and buy property at home.