Hanks, De Niro, Gates and more handed top award from Obama

webfact

Hanks, De Niro, Gates and more handed top award from Obama

606x341_350391.jpg

WASHINGTON: -- Outgoing US President Barack Obama has handed out his last Medals of Freedom during a ceremony at the White House.

Bruce Springsteen, Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro and Micheal Jordon were among the 21 stars to receive America’s highest civilian award.

Bill and Melinda Gates were also honoured for their philanthropic work.

Obama said each of the recipients had touched him in a very powerful and personal way.

“These are folks who have helped make me who I am and think about my presidency and what also makes it special is this is America and it’s useful when you think about this incredible collection of people to realise that this is what makes us the greatest nation on earth,” Obama said.

Later, TV talk show host Ellen DeGeneres, who was lauded by Obama for her work on gay rights, posted a video from inside the White House of the honorees conducting the ‘Mannequin challenge’.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-23

9 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that. Please explain the point?

Previous (troll) posters were suggesting the Gates are mass murders et al.

Tallest poppy syndrome is where the tallest, most successful poppy in the field must be cut down by only the few, just because it is so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome

Ah, now I see why you don't understand, the posts were hidden by the Mods.

Edited by chiang mai

10 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Previous (troll) posters were suggesting the Gates are mass murders et al.

Tallest poppy syndrome is where the tallest, most successful poppy in the field must be cut down by only the few, just because it is so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome

Ah, now I see why you don't understand, the posts were hidden by the Mods.

Thank you!

So basically any celebrity who openly supports the Democrat party gets awarded the highest civilian award by the president?

Can't wait until this SOB's time is up. Hopefully with the republicans we can get some common sense back into government....remember Obama is the A$$hat that signed the FATCA into law to make every single American expat's life hell.....<deleted> Obama 

20 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Kinda like Lordships...given out to whoever gives the most to party funds...complete non-story.

Trump will be doing the same thing next year. It will be Mr. Humility replaced by Mr. Wonderful and he will make you well aware of that during the ceremony. It will be a praise Trump ceremony not a medal ceremony for fellow Americans. 

3 hours ago, hdkane said:

I have no clue why actors are honored...they do not write the lines they speak, and they have people telling them how to say the lines...being successful as an actor is simply luck, with very little talent implicated...

I love Tom Hanks movies.

And besides being an actor. He also either directed or produced many great war movies. These movies showed the world

the hardships and sacrifice made by many men and women during WW2. 

Band of Brothers, Pacific, and Saving Private Ryan.

Not always about the actors; but the story.

Cheers

4 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

So basically any celebrity who openly supports the Democrat party gets awarded the highest civilian award by the president?

Can't wait until this SOB's time is up. Hopefully with the republicans we can get some common sense back into government....remember Obama is the A$$hat that signed the FATCA into law to make every single American expat's life hell.....<deleted> Obama 

Republican presidents nominate the same "type" of nominee as Democratic presidents. Actors, musicians, sports stars and philanthropists and others that have made a mark on the world.  And if you are mad that you can't hide your overseas assets overseas due to FATCA, you can always apply for citizenship in another country.