Corrections Department Initiates Project For Inocent Detainees

Jai Dee

Corrections Department has initiated project for inocent detainees

The Director-General of the Department of Corrections, Mr. Natthee Jitsawang (นัทธี จิตสว่าง), commented on the case where innocent people have been detained in prisons across the country, saying there are about 7,000 to 8,000 of them.

In order to release them, interrogation has to be implemented.

In addition, a project has been initiated to help the guiltless prisoners, and the interrogation will start on December 12th at Thonburi Remand Prison. Officials will select 10 detainees during the preliminary stage, and will screen one of the cases has already been dismissed.

Mr. Nathee added he will present the compiled information to Justice Minister Charnchai Likhitjitha so he could consider and determine the regulations, the cases, and the DNA of each innocent detainee.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 4 December 2006

I once worked in a prison program--EVERYONE was innocent!

Actually, here, I suspect there are a fair number of people who have been set up and haven't had the resources to clear their name. I wish them the best of luck (and healthy amounts of compensation).

Although no judicial or penal system is perfect, is this admission just 'recognition' of the fact that in Thailand's legal system, pleading guilty is the 'lesser of two evils' where punishment is concerned?

In addition, the legal system does not have a jury trial system. Would that make matters more equitable for all, or would these juries be themselves 'nobbled' in some way (bribery, threats, intimidation and so on?)

Just a few thoughts. I hope those truly innocent spend not a day longer than absolutely necessary inside a Thai jail; and obtain full financial compensation once out and free!