UK: right-wing extremist Thomas Mair given life term for MP Jo Cox’s murder

webfact

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 3:54 PM, SheungWan said:

If you think the Courts were incorrect in this matter why don't you have a word with the Defence Team and prepare a case for appeal for them.

I never said the courts were in correct or even thought that. I said I understand why they took that direction having worked in the courts. Yes worked in the courts, so know the direction they take, especially the CPS. As I mentioned previously they did what they had to do, to get the maximum sentence under the UK law. I am glad he is locked up for life so I won't ne working on his defence team but don't surprised if someone does in the future.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, onthesoi said:

He went to a 'spiritual healing centre' to ask about reflexology and meditation but they told him to come back later for a cup of tea.  Not sure that qualifies as seeking professional help.  And, what type of mental illness did he have beyond being a right wing, white supremacist and 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/who-tommy-mair-everything-know-8214577

"In 2010 Thomas Mair, then aged 46, was quoted in his local paper talking about his mental health issues.

He volunteered at the Oakwell Hall country park in Birstall in 2010 after being a patient of the Mirfield-based Pathways Day Centre for adults with mental illness, according to a Huddersfield Examiner report at the time.

He told the paper: "I can honestly say it has done me more good than all the psychotherapy and medication in the world.

"Many people who suffer from mental illness are socially isolated and disconnected from society, feelings of worthlessness are also common, mainly caused by long-term unemployment."

Pathways is described on the South West Yorkshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust website as a "team that offers support to people experiencing mental health difficulties".

Edited by Khun Han

I see some of the hard right guys on this thread are still hanging on to the mental illness gig to push us away from what the guy was and what he did. Their agendas take precedence you must understand. Illuminating. Now, back to the trial: 'Cairns Nelson, defending, confirmed that the defendant had been assessed by doctors and that medical evidence would not form part of the defence'  Indeed it didn't, but that doesn't stop the forum nutters from having a go.

6 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I see some of the hard right guys on this thread are still hanging on to the mental illness gig to push us away from what the guy was and what he did. Their agendas take precedence you must understand. Illuminating. Now, back to the trial: 'Cairns Nelson, defending, confirmed that the defendant had been assessed by doctors and that medical evidence would not form part of the defence'  Indeed it didn't, but that doesn't stop the forum nutters from having a go.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/38071894

"The precise state of Mair's mind at the time of the attack remains unclear.

He has largely refused to engage with the court process, including attempts to assess whether or not he is capable of standing trial on mental health grounds, or even to enter a plea of not guilty.

He said little of use to defence lawyers appointed to ensure he received a fair trial.

At his first appearance, he said his name was "Death to traitors, freedom for Britain"."

The only nutters in this discussion are the ones using Jo Cox's tragic murder to further their political agenda. Ugh!!! Disgusting!

How long is a life sentence in the UK? Here in NL life means life, spending all your days in prison unless you are pardonned by the king/queen. Pardons are very rare though so life senteces are also rare. Though there is debate about having a review after 25-30 years to give those with a life sentence some perspective (international pressure, a true life sentence with no chanche of parol being labeled inhumane).

The murderer (Volkert van der Graaf) of right wing Dutch politician Fortuyn got sentenced to 18 years in 2003. Early parol for good behaviour, after having served 2/3rds of his time, means he was released some time ago. A bit of a shame. Much as I disliked Fortuyn murder or any harm is never the answer. You may not need to be mentally ill but you must not be entirely right in the head either to solve your problems or fears with murder or violence! 

3 hours ago, Donutz said:

How long is a life sentence in the UK? Here in NL life means life, spending all your days in prison unless you are pardonned by the king/queen

It depends. Someone can be out in 10-15 years depending on the circumstances for parole. If they are given a minimum sentence or life  as he has been told, he will die in jail, it would be up to the home secretary to release him, if ever. Once again I am in agreement on the sentence. I am not in agreement that the referendum caused this and still there is no truth or evidence anywhere that supports this  theory, despite some posters insinuating that there is. It is all speculation and hearsay

39 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I am not in agreement that the referendum caused this and still there is no truth or evidence anywhere that supports this  theory, despite some posters insinuating that there is. It is all speculation and hearsay

Jo Cox's murder was followed by 50,000 tweets celebrating her death

These tweets were all sent by mentally ill people with no interest in politics?

8 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Jo Cox's murder was followed by 50,000 tweets celebrating her death

These tweets were all sent by mentally ill people with no interest in politics?

He is not a hero or patriot as the many tweets suggest. Did any of the 50,000 people kill anyone solely because of the referendum. You are still trying to push the agenda the referendum caused her death. Once again there is no evidence at all. Interest in politics obviously.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You are still trying to push the agenda the referendum caused her death.

It is you who is in denial, refusing to accept that the mood of the country was soured by the ugly rhetoric of the Brexit campaign and their deliberate attempt to induce a seige mentality in the voting public through the dissemination of distorition, sophistry and downright lies. That mood, evidenced by the 25,000 people who applauded Mair's action, was, in my opinion, what led to a deranged mind being tipped over the edge.

9 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

That mood, evidenced by the 25,000 people who applauded Mair's action, was, in my opinion, what led to a deranged mind being tipped over the edge

And there we have it. Your opinion.  No evidence no facts. I rest my case.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

21 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

That mood, evidenced by the 25,000 people who applauded Mair's action, was, in my opinion, what led to a deranged mind being tipped over the edge.

That is some claim.

I just had to google it to see for myself.

No hits, so in the interest of clarity, can you supply where you came across that info ?

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

And there we have it. Your opinion. I rest my case.

And in the absence of fact, circumstantial evidence that is all we have to rely upon. You and I interpret that evidence differently. However the evidence of a feral ugliness spreading throughout the UK, fed UKIP/Brexit lies, is well documented. You simply refuse to make the (in my mind) obvious connection.

52 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

That is some claim.

I just had to google it to see for myself.

No hits, so in the interest of clarity, can you supply where you came across that info ?

I stated one fact and one opinion, so I presume that you are asking about the fact? If you look at the link I provided in post #68 you will find the details. I copied the headline straight from the source - no editorial effort on my part. Of course, I linked to the Guardian so that may not suit the quality control of some posters. Probably you will find the same story on page 35 of the Mail, if you look hard enough for it. .

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

I stated one fact and one opinion, so I presume that you are asking about the fact? If you look at the link I provided in post #68 you will find the details. I copied the headline straight from the source - no editorial effort on my part. Of course, I linked to the Guardian so that may not suit the quality control of some posters. Probably you will find the same story on page 35 of the Mail, if you look hard enough for it. .

A big story to say read the link at post 68 which would have been sufficient, without the rest of the diatribe.

It is deplorable to say the least.

If this research is indeed correct, then I look forward to 25,000 being rounded up and thrown in the slammer.

Of course the number caught and convicted may be much lower as it does not indicate where the tweets originated from, which might be rather telling.