Award winning Thai cop nabbed over armed ATM robbery

webfact

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, hdkane said:

Yesterday, I was approached by a university student to take a survey about Thailand. A class project. One question was, "What don't you like about Thailand?" I'm sure she expected me to say something about spicy food, but I replied that the police were too corrupt and the same as a mafia.  The girl actually looked surprised at my answer. Real question--do Thais really not know this? Or was my answer embarrassing to her, because she knows all too well the character of Thai police?

Oh no they know the scene alright....she was probably deciding on whether to put the true response in her survey or not.  Of late my village has been suffering from a lot of burglaries but when I have asked those affected if they have contacted the police they all gave the same answer "Why?  I dont want any more problems"!!

19 hours ago, laislica said:

Note to self:
Leave mobile phone and ID at home before the next robbery LOL

From the story and the mention of the food stall accomplice I'm guessing he had someone watching the ATM to let him know when delivery was taking place. Needed the phone to be alerted as to when this happened.

As for the ID, yeah, that was stupid but he probably needed it in case he was pulled over on his bike at a tea money, sorry, ID/licence roadblock.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

the job of the investigators was perhaps made a little easier due to the fact the suspect had dropped his mobile phone at the scene.

Police later also found the crash helmet, motorcycle and clothing dumped in a pond nearby.

An absolute unprofessional in the police ...... unheard ...

4 hours ago, hdkane said:

Yesterday, I was approached by a university student to take a survey about Thailand. A class project. One question was, "What don't you like about Thailand?" I'm sure she expected me to say something about spicy food, but I replied that the police were too corrupt and the same as a mafia.  The girl actually looked surprised at my answer. Real question--do Thais really not know this? Or was my answer embarrassing to her, because she knows all too well the character of Thai police?

Thanks for sharing this hd, because it is sooooo revealing of an aspect of Asian cultures (not just Thai) which never fails to leave us Westerners groggy with amazement. And it's quite funny, too.

Surveys are a Western invention, and Western inventions are popular because the West is rich (or seen as -) so any method coming for there is supposed to contain a little bit of the magic that makes the West rich. These Asian students obviously learnt how a survey works technically, so they cooked one up, and off they went in the streets to try their new toy. The streets of Asia ...

Two reflections come to my mind here :

1/ Of course she knows about the police. All Thais complain about their police, constantly, for the reasons we and they know full well. But all Thais are also brainwashed from a very early age into thinking that everything Thai is wonderful, unique and perfect. They learn to live with those two opposing notions, but when they meet a foreigner, especially in a situation like the survey where the interlocutor is a perfect stranger, the nationalistic reflex will always prevail. Hence her reaction.

2/ Embarrassing things are never stated clearly in Asia. It's considered gross, boorish and useless. This is due to the notion of social harmony which goes way back to Confucius and is deeply ingrained in every Asian individual. If you want, or need to say something brutal, you have to beat around the bush, or better even, refrain from saying it. Beating around the bush is the national sport here. It's utterly disconcerting for us Westerners, and we're quick to call it hypocrisy but actually it's different. We are also quick to call it stupid and absurd, and we fail to see that there are many good aspects about it. Some of these aspects are behind the factors that attract us to Thailand in the first place.

Edited by Yann55

Remember the vigorous defence senior police offered recently for allowing off-duty wallopers to go armed in public places? Almost perfect Disneyland timing. I also pity that poor bugger who lectured the public about giving the RTP a bad image a week or two ago.   How long before he revs up that spinning wheel again?

22 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

An outstanding Google translation.......:

The villain single 9 mm gun. Shoot and threatening three shots to his head three Porter money. The money was put ATMs in Thailand's Bank of petrol PTT along two roads - the Lat Bua Luang. Len's. The two brothers. Suphanburi before sweeping the five million baht, then fled. until last Police solve crimes To arrest A. The. The. Lazuli Ratatouille comparably aged 24 years Dir. Among the police investigation. Bueng Chonburi. Troublemaker by Mr.Somnuk the pretty 35-year-old merchant who was selling corn popcorn. Gas in the scene A power point range, and Mr. Chai Ratatouille comparably aged 35 year-old brother took real villains escape. And found evidence motorcycle helmets, shoes, clothing. The criminals were thrown into a pond, Gail. The abandoned house at No. 57 Moo 2 Tambon Ban Phai Bo Ya. Don Lemon after the cause is under investigation, officials now suspect. Reportedly proposed to the... อ่านต่อที่ : http://www.dailynews.co.th/crime/538731

Google translate even has trouble with English to English let alone some other language! Try french or German to English.......gibberish! :sad::wai:

20 hours ago, tifino said:

'top cop', shown in the article by Rank as L/C

I bet everyone assumes that means Lt COL

555  I reckon he was just a Lance Corporal

Lance Corporals need the money...

If this is an indication of "Top cop" I am really worried now.......

20 hours ago, fruitman said:

I always wondered why the guys filling the atm's were not armed. They asked for this to happen but a cop?? 

Judging by the way the 3 security guys were so preoccupied to allow the robber to get that close with a drawn weapon, if they had been armed, that would have been 3 dead security guys and a mobile phone left at the scene.

Don't get me wrong, weapons are a great deterrent, but, as in this case (if they were armed) it wouldn't have done them much good unless they were using due diligence (and not negligence) where two were protecting the one actually filling the ATM.

IMO of course...................:smile:

Yann55 - Street surveys by uni students are a common practice throughout Thailand. Generally, if you take the opportunity to converse with them, you'll find they're on an assignment from their English language teacher.  The project is designed to force them to use their new language skills and get some experience talking to native English speakers with a variety of accents.  The hope is, of course, that survey respondents will spend a little time asking questions and talking about subjects of mutual interest.  Many Thai students are disadvantaged in that they have very  little opportunity to participate in conversations with native English speakers on a regular basis.  Such activity is vital to development of students' skills.  Their natural shyness and fear of "looking foolish" are big hurdles to overcome.  Please be kind, don't tease, challenge or correct - just enjoy the opportunity to exchange ideas and help them enjoy the experience too.

31 minutes ago, sandemara said:

Yann55 - Street surveys by uni students are a common practice throughout Thailand. Generally, if you take the opportunity to converse with them, you'll find they're on an assignment from their English language teacher.  The project is designed to force them to use their new language skills and get some experience talking to native English speakers with a variety of accents.  The hope is, of course, that survey respondents will spend a little time asking questions and talking about subjects of mutual interest.  Many Thai students are disadvantaged in that they have very  little opportunity to participate in conversations with native English speakers on a regular basis.  Such activity is vital to development of students' skills.  Their natural shyness and fear of "looking foolish" are big hurdles to overcome.  Please be kind, don't tease, challenge or correct - just enjoy the opportunity to exchange ideas and help them enjoy the experience too.

You sound like an English language teacher ...:tongue:

Teachers, in my experience, are better at listening to themselves than to others, and you prove that one ore time.

While your point is perfectly clear, relevant and interesting, it is in no way a reply to what my post was about. Perhaps, now, you would care to actually read what I wrote about ?

Is this a shock in an culture where police have to buy their jobs, buy their own uniforms, radios, guns, etc. and are "expected" by their superiors to contribute to the stations "benevolent" fund?

If the victim had been a foreigner/tourist instead of a bank this would not be news!

15 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

While your point is perfectly clear, relevant and interesting, it is in no way a reply to what my post was about. Perhaps, now, you would care to actually read what I wrote about ?

Yann55, thank you for your thoughtful response to my "non-reply" (??).  I chose to comment on the only aspect of your original contribution that I found interesting or useful.  The smug superiority of the assumptions behind your other comments made them too uninteresting to  bother myself with.   Re-reading your whole post would be a punishment I'll pass on.

On 11/25/2016 at 4:14 PM, lostinisaan said:

An outstanding Google translation.......:

The villain single 9 mm gun. Shoot and threatening three shots to his head three Porter money. The money was put ATMs in Thailand's Bank of petrol PTT along two roads - the Lat Bua Luang. Len's. The two brothers. Suphanburi before sweeping the five million baht, then fled. until last Police solve crimes To arrest A. The. The. Lazuli Ratatouille comparably aged 24 years Dir. Among the police investigation. Bueng Chonburi. Troublemaker by Mr.Somnuk the pretty 35-year-old merchant who was selling corn popcorn. Gas in the scene A power point range, and Mr. Chai Ratatouille comparably aged 35 year-old brother took real villains escape. And found evidence motorcycle helmets, shoes, clothing. The criminals were thrown into a pond, Gail. The abandoned house at No. 57 Moo 2 Tambon Ban Phai Bo Ya. Don Lemon after the cause is under investigation, officials now suspect. Reportedly proposed to the... อ่านต่อที่ : http://www.dailynews.co.th/crime/538731

55,no wonder the translation on the 5 year visa was confusing.

On 11/25/2016 at 0:27 PM, trainman34014 said:

Will he get another medal ?    After all; they issue them for 'innovation' don't they ?    His defence in court will be that he was ''Checking out the security systems of cash deliveries to ATM's ''   !

Well he will certainly get the "Sharpshooting" medal to add to his collection.

9 hours ago, bangon04 said:

Well he will certainly get the "Sharpshooting" medal to add to his collection.

Many will remember a witness in an infamous murder trial saying he didn't see who fired the fatal shot as the lighting was dim and in any case he had poor eyesight.

His occupation was given as Army Marksman.