Possible to change student visa for non-B?

Hi folks!

Sorry in advance if similar question been posted before literally not a free second to go through the forum.

So to the topic. I have just finished my bach degree in bangkok and will obtain my diploma on 18th of Dec. Had nothing to do a while ago and was looking for a job so started going to language school, got another visa from Laos. Now as i have found a job which can provide work permit, related docs and stuff, i realised my HR (new guy there who does not know anything) is struggling obtaining visa in a "fast" way. All he could figure out is to do a trip back home for me to get a tourist visa so that i can come back to thailand and apply for non-b and get permit afterwards.  He said there's no other way and the trip is gonna take about 10 days and cost perhaps 50k which is like what on earth are you doing dear Thai immigration?

I have no clue what to do, the job is real good and leaving back home is a non-sense. So i thought i'd ask here if it's really impossible to get non-b from student visa in thailand or at least by doing a trip somewhere closer (SG, Malaysia etc).

Anyone has anything to share or recommend, i would really appreciate. Let me know if more info is needed.

Thank you in advance

Cheers

Not sure why you would have to return to your home country to get a tourist visa. You apparently were able to get a none-ed visa in Laos.

In order to get the non-b visa you will need a work permit application approval letter. With the non-ed visa you have now the labor ministry probably will not accept the application for one.

15 hours ago, prettyawsm said:

Now as i have found a job which can provide work permit, related docs and stuff

And what is the problem then? You can easily get Non-B from any embassy or even immigration office in Thailand.

22 hours ago, elviajero said:
  • You can get a Non 'B' from many embassies/consulates in neibouring countries.
  • Vientiane, Loas is a good choice and there a visa run companies in Bangkok that can take you there.

But the question is will i have any difficulties because of my current student visa? I was told a couple of times it's nearly impossible.

7 hours ago, Honthy said:

And what is the problem then? You can easily get Non-B from any embassy or even immigration office in Thailand.

So do i just ask my company to prepare the docs and then i can go to cambodia(closer to me) or laos, get non-b then come back and apply for work permit?

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

With the non-ed visa you have now the labor ministry probably will not accept the application for one.

Sorry i'm pretty bad at immigration techniques, can you elaborate on this one please? Do i apply for application letter first then go abroad to get non-b, then apply for WP? And in first place they might reject my application letter because i'm currently holding student visa?

11 minutes ago, prettyawsm said:

But the question is will i have any difficulties because of my current student visa? I was told a couple of times it's nearly impossible.

As long as you've the correct paperwork to apply for the Non 'B' you will have no problem. Past visas will have no affect.

If you have an extension of stay on the basis of study, you might have a problem leaving Thailand overland without a letter from your school. No such problem should exist leaving by air, and (if you have the correct paperwork) Vientiane will issue you the Non B.

Edited by BritTim

23 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you have an extension of stay on the basis of study, you might have a problem leaving Thailand overland without a letter from your school. No such problem should exist leaving by air, and (if you have the correct paperwork) Vientiane will issue you the Non B.

Can you please specify what letter it must be? Something saying that i'm a student of such school, such program etc? Will Cambodia be also ok (closer to me)? Thank you for your reply.

1 hour ago, prettyawsm said:

Can you please specify what letter it must be? Something saying that i'm a student of such school, such program etc? Will Cambodia be also ok (closer to me)? Thank you for your reply.

The letter is to say that you are no longer a student from the school and deliberately leaving to cancel your permission to stay. It is not always required, but students have been prevented from leaving overland in the past. If you fly to Phnom Penh, I think you should be alright getting the Non B there using an agent. Vientiane and Penang are generally regarded as better places to get visas.

Yes, I had to cancel my student visa , I had to go to immigration in Thailand and get a cancellation letter .

Failure to do this and I would have left Thailand and my Ed Visa would still have been valid , and I would be on an overstay when I came back.

Yes, it doesnt make sense, but thats the way that it was .

Best to ask you school about whether you need to do it, as the rules change frequently

22 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, I had to cancel my student visa , I had to go to immigration in Thailand and get a cancellation letter .

Failure to do this and I would have left Thailand and my Ed Visa would still have been valid , and I would be on an overstay when I came back.

Yes, it doesnt make sense, but thats the way that it was .

Best to ask you school about whether you need to do it, as the rules change frequently

I see, but how what kinda visa did you have? Will it be the same for me if i have only single entry visa?

I do not claim to understand the reasoning behind the rules that are applied, but this is what I believe to be the case, based on reports I have read:

• If you have both an extension of stay and a re-entry permit, you must get the extension canceled before leaving, regardless of whether you leave by land or by air.
  • If you entered on a single entry visa (or expired multiple entry) and you do not have a re-entry permit
    -- if you leave by air, your permission to stay is canceled, and you are free to leave;
    -- if you try to leave overland, at least some border points will not let you leave without a letter confirming you are no longer a student.
    Why the discrepancy between leaving by land or by air? I could guess, but really do not know.

I advise you to wait for advice from people like @ubonjoe before making a final decision on what to do.

3 hours ago, prettyawsm said:

I see, but how what kinda visa did you have? Will it be the same for me if i have only single entry visa?

Sorry, I thought that you were on a ED Visa , if you are just on a SETV , it will not effect you about needing to cancel your Ed Visa , just leave as normal .

I was on a Ed Visa

On 11/28/2016 at 11:57 PM, BritTim said:

I do not claim to understand the reasoning behind the rules that are applied, but this is what I believe to be the case, based on reports I have read:

• If you have both an extension of stay and a re-entry permit, you must get the extension canceled before leaving, regardless of whether you leave by land or by air.
  • If you entered on a single entry visa (or expired multiple entry) and you do not have a re-entry permit
    -- if you leave by air, your permission to stay is canceled, and you are free to leave;
    -- if you try to leave overland, at least some border points will not let you leave without a letter confirming you are no longer a student.
    Why the discrepancy between leaving by land or by air? I could guess, but really do not know.

I advise you to wait for advice from people like @ubonjoe before making a final decision on what to do.

Understood, i guess. Thank you! The plan so far is to extend my visa (exp 16 dec) via school get another 3 months? Then leave to SG with the docs for non-b. Will have to stay there about 2-3 days then come back with non-b and apply for WP. That's what my HR advised so far the said this should be legit. I guess i will try to do cancellation of current visa just in case, not sure if it works together with extending current visa. Let's see.

Edited by prettyawsm

On 11/29/2016 at 1:56 AM, sanemax said:

Sorry, I thought that you were on a ED Visa , if you are just on a SETV , it will not effect you about needing to cancel your Ed Visa , just leave as normal .

I was on a Ed Visa

Yes yes, on a single entry student visa.

26 minutes ago, prettyawsm said:

Understood, i guess. Thank you! The plan so far is to extend my visa (exp 16 dec) via school get another 3 months? Then leave to SG with the docs for non-b. Will have to stay there about 2-3 days then come back with non-b and apply for WP. That's what my HR advised so far the said this should be legit. I guess i will try to do cancellation of current visa just in case, not sure if it works together with extending current visa. Let's see.

If you are leaving by air, there should be no need to cancel anything (assuming you do not have a re-entry permit for your final extension of stay. I think your HR probably has given you good advice.

Edited by BritTim

• 1 year later...
On 11/26/2016 at 7:53 AM, ubonjoe said:

Not sure why you would have to return to your home country to get a tourist visa. You apparently were able to get a non-ed visa in Laos.

In order to get the non-b visa you will need a work permit application approval letter. With the non-ed visa you have now the labor ministry probably will not accept the application for one.

Can  a non-ed be changed to a non-b visa in country? We have a new teacher who wishes to do this but i have no experience with this.

11 hours ago, mfharrison said:

Can  a non-ed be changed to a non-b visa in country? We have a new teacher who wishes to do this but i have no experience with this.

The category of a non immigrant visa cannot be changed at immigration. To apply for an extension of stay based upon teaching all that is required is a non immigrant visa entry it does not require a specific category to apply for it. But the problem would be getting a work permit prior to applying for the extension a non-ed visa entry.

11 hours ago, Master Jairam said:

Can b visa issued in india be modified to edu visa if i get a job in a school to teach english or engineering? In case?

A non-ed visa is for attending school not teaching. A non-b visa entry is normally required.

• Like 1