Is it simple to get a medical extension with doctor's letter from hospital?

I have a non  B visa and need to go to Laos on Sunday.

But I'm on very hard medication for a hearing problem, fast heartbeat etc, unlikely, but could be nasty side effects or complications, so I would rather be at home in Thailand close to hospital ect...

I need about a 10-20 extension. I need to tapper off the pills after the regimen also, that's why I need it for longer.

Can I get an extension at Jomptien with that? Is it easy?

Does the doctor note suffice?

Do I need to be in the hospital for this to work? Or in REALLY bad shape or incapacitated? 

My problem is not visible by looking at me, but I DO have the prescription, tons of pills.

Thanks

You should not be medically fit to travel and immigration would likely have to confirm this with there own doctor.  So no, it would not be likely to be easy.  But up to 7 days is normally allowed to depart if extension is not granted.

As above. You have to be completely unable to travel and a doctor will have to certify for that. While immigration officers may vary, it would be most unusual for someone not hospitalized to get an extension on medical grounds.

About a year ago I did this for a friend who was hospitalized for surgery, had serious complications and required a second emergency operation. Even that took 2 repeat trips to immigration and rewriting of the hospital letter to satisfy them along with provision of photographs of this woman in her hospital bed.  The IO showed me samples of other letters (to help us help the hospital get it right) and the photos in those files were of people on life support, etc.

So yes, you do need to be really incapacitated, in really bad shape, for this to work.

• Like 1

I do not know, but most big hospitals have an Immigration office that process medical extensions for patients.

My gut tells me you would have to have a serious medical condition forcing you to a hospital before a medical extension would be acceptable.

As Lopburi said, you could simply apply for a regular extension and, assuming you were not eligible, your application would be denied, but you would then be given 7 days to leave the country.

Sheryl's personal experience and the comments of others should make it clear that wanting to be near a hospital and feeling side effects from the medicine you are taking would not merit a medical extension. 

Hmmm, I have Tinnitus, ringing in the ears,  I'm on oral steroids, not really dangerous, but could be complications although unlikely...

She put "Tinnitus, anxiety disorder" on the form...

Then she confirmed I'm on meds for 10 days and a taper will be needed (prednisone steroids)

So I take it I have no chance really?

(Phuket) Immigration will use first the normal extension if applicable before considering an medical extension.

The medical statement has to be very clear in the fact that the person cannot travel at all and has to be treated from and the until date.

Pictures are not always asked for but it makes the application much easier and sometimes even required.

Without this information an medical extension is not granted.

And even with this they will consider the medical extension on a case by case basis.

And yes they are more sympathetic for older people.

Edited by merijn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

My suggestion is get the 7 day extension then go where you half to go and once you are returning by flight you will be given a 

30 day stamp to stay

This should be easy for you 

Personaly if I was only over for 2 months out of a year I would rent it out. sitting dormant for ten months seems to me like a waste. rent it out keep the rent money to pay for a good hotel and food when you come out and have some left over. 

4 hours ago, Satearn said:

Hmmm, I have Tinnitus, ringing in the ears,  I'm on oral steroids, not really dangerous, but could be complications although unlikely...

She put "Tinnitus, anxiety disorder" on the form...

Then she confirmed I'm on meds for 10 days and a taper will be needed (prednisone steroids)

So I take it I have no chance really?

Correct.

No chance, really.

She would have to write that you are physically incapable of travel...which your appearance at the Imm office alone would. disprove.

Look at other approaches to your problem.

I am not clear why you can't just go to Laos and then come back, visa exempt for 30 days.?

• Like 1

Can I get 30 days at the border? I'm Canadian, I thought it was only 14?

Additionally, I have a work permit good for a year and my non B is expiring this week.

Can I do a visa run on this trip as either:

- Visa exempt

- Tourist visa

And get another non be on my next visa run?

30 minutes ago, Satearn said:

Additionally, I have a work permit good for a year and my non B is expiring this week.

If you have a multiple entry non-b visa from an embassy or consulate you can get another 90 day entry on or before the enter before date on your visa.