Is there any/much racism in Isaan

mrblonde

Isarn is not a zoo!

To be frank, people here are racist to blacks. It is changing for the better and I have even seen some blacks working in local schools, something that would NEVER have happened 30 years ago, or even 10. I suspect they are on reduced salaries however but nice to see.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isarn is not a zoo!

To be frank, people here are racist to blacks. It is changing for the better and I have even seen some blacks working in local schools, something that would NEVER have happened 30 years ago, or even 10. I suspect they are on reduced salaries however but nice to see.

If they can convince the school that they are native English speakers, I'd think they might not be on reduced salaries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

If they can convince the school that they are native English speakers, I'd think they might not be on reduced salaries.

Well they'd have to be very well qualified. Trust me, I speak Thai and Isarn fluently and to be frank again, what the people on the street say is disgustingly racist. 

I am extremely surprised that any would stay once they learned what was being said.

Edited by Johnniey

Well they'd have to be very well qualified. Trust me, I speak Thai and Isarn fluently and to be frank again, what the people on the street say is disgustingly racist. 
I am extremely surprised that any would stay once they learned what was being said.

10390a2b66694af5fe2792f678436db6.jpg

3 hours ago, Johnniey said:

Isarn is not a zoo!

The senior schools that served the Amphoe where I live employed English teachers from Cameroon. For no explained reason, about 2 years ago, they were all ordered out. Here one day, gone the next. Also, the Chinese teachers followed just after.

Of course Thais are racist they're raised that way. A darker skin colour makes you a lesser person.

The notion that light skin is good and black skin is bad is embedded in Thai culture, and that doesn't seem to be changing. As in much of Asia, dark skin is equated with outdoor labor conditions and the lower classes

Edited by sinbin
Spellin

I remember a year or so ago, having a conversation with a fellow foreigner, about football from back home, when he suddenly stated it was a lot of blacks on the national team these days.

I was speechless, as the conversation between us 2 whiteys was taking place in Khon Kaen, in a country/culture far away from our own, which we had settled down in.

So, yes, plenty racists among the foreigners here.

Anyhow, I think Briggsy, in the first reply, got it spot on.

1 hour ago, Travel2003 said:

I remember a year or so ago, having a conversation with a fellow foreigner, about football from back home, when he suddenly stated it was a lot of blacks on the national team these days.

I was speechless, as the conversation between us 2 whiteys was taking place in Khon Kaen, in a country/culture far away from our own, which we had settled down in.

Anyhow, I think Briggsy, in the first reply, got it spot on.

Why does making an obvious statements about blacks in a sport make him racist? It is not a racist statement.

On 27/11/2559 at 1:08 PM, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Sinbin.

Thanks for the information re,Thai National Anthem.I was just about to google it myself.So it WAS written by a German,i tried to avoid saying that,i picked Austria as a more softer approach.But i always thought that it sounded like it should have been sung by a troop of Waffen SS in a beer keller somewhere in Berlin.

So it was written about the time of the German invasion of Poland then? (it gets better and better) I thought that Thailand was still called Siam in those days,and didnt change until the40's

I dont really care who wrote it,and i only stand still when its played for my wifes sake.I dont think i know any other country that has taken a Nazi type song as their National Anthem.

But then not long ago the kids were painting swastika's on school walls and Hitler moustaches, they didnt know what they stood for

Like the bar girl who i talked to years ago,in Patts.She had a guys name tattooed on her arm,below the name was his football team of choice,Newcastle,i think,and below that was a swastika.When i asked her if she knew what it was,She told me that her bf had asssured her it was a must have tat that all felang girls in the UK were having.He'd long since pissed off,and she was now stuck with it.She was a stupid ignorant girl,and he was a real prince.So it doesnt surprise me that an anthem that sounds like this has been taken into the hearts of the Thais,they have no idea what it sound like nor do they care.

Nice what you are writing , if tried to google you would now the Peter Veit never thought about himself as a German and there you can read :

Phra Chenduriyang (Piti Vādyakara[1]) (Thai: พระเจนดุริยางค์ (ปิติ วาทยะกร); born as Peter Fiet, 13 July 1883; died 25 December 1968) was a Thai composer, conductor, music teacher, collector and arranger. He was the son of a German-American immigrant (Jacob Fiet) and a Thai mother. However, he never left Thailand and identified as "100 percent Thai". He composed the Thai National Anthem.[2]

Peter Fiet's father Jacob, who was a musician too, had arrived in Siam (as Thailand was still called at the time) during the reign of King Rama V (Chulalongkorn) and became a trumpet teacher at the royal court. Peter studied piano and Western string instruments with his father and at the Assumption College, Bangkok. In 1917 he joined the Royal Entertainment Department and formed the first Western-style orchestra in Siam.[2][3] King Rama VI (Vajiravudh) appointed him deputy director,[4] later director of the "Royal Western string orchestra" and granted him the feudal title and name of Phra Chenduriyang (translating to "skilled with musical instruments"). Phra Chenduriyang was primarily responsible for the spread of Western classical music in Siam,[5] teaching many young Thais.[2] On the other hand, he also collected and notated Thai folk music which had only been passed down orally until that time.

Than your other point about Swastika just read it to please : 

The swastika (also known as the Hakenkreuz, gammadion cross, cross cramponnée, croix gammée, fylfot, or tetraskelion) (as a character 卐 or 卍) is an ancient religious symbol originating from the Indian subcontinent, being the symbol of peace and continuity that generally takes the form of an equilateral cross with four legs each bent at 90 degrees.[1][2] It is considered to be a sacred and auspicious symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism and dates back at least 11,000 years.[3] It continues to be commonly used as a religious symbol in religions native to the Indian subcontinent such as Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism.

Western literature's older term for the symbol, gammadion cross, derives mainly from its appearance, which is identical to four Greek gamma letters affixed to each other.[4] The name swastika comes from the Sanskrit word svastika (Devanāgarī: स्वस्तिक), meaning "lucky or auspicious object".[4] (By the etymology of Prefixes and suffixes in Devnagri / ancient Sanskrit language, 'Swa' means the 'Self' and 'stika' is the fusion version for 'Asti' meaning 'Existant /Existing' and 'ka' denotes the neutral gender. Thus, 'Swastika' simply means 'One that is self-existant / self-existing', in other words; 'Unborn and directly originating from eternity since time eternal'.)[5]

It has been used as a decorative element in various cultures since at least the Neolithic Age. It is known most widely as an important symbol, long used in Indian religions, denoting "auspiciousness".

The swastika was adopted by several organizations in pre-World War I-Europe and later, and most notably, by the Nazi Party and Nazi Germany prior to World War II. In many Western countries, the swastika has been highly stigmatized because of its use in and association with Nazism.[6][7]

13 hours ago, Travel2003 said:

That's not a racist comment. That's an observation. Similar to 'a lot left footers in the National team these days'. Just cuz 'black' was mentioned you jumped the gun.The chances are in this politically correct world that the manager has to , by law, include a percentage of the ethnics and disabled into his team. The way they play I'm sure they do select disabled players. :sorry:

On 28/11/2016 at 6:24 AM, sinbin said:

Of course Thais are racist they're raised that way. A darker skin colour makes you a lesser person.

Might that be changing, at least in the cities where most of the western music played in the bars/clubs is sung by black ameicans or brits?  Genuine question by the way, as all we heard in Pattaya and Ayutthaya bars probably 80% or more was by black singers? (I know cant really compare beer bars with Isaan locals and bars, but some of the music must filter back? 

On 11/28/2016 at 9:01 PM, thehelmsman said:

Why does making an obvious statements about blacks in a sport make him racist? It is not a racist statement.

Because the conversation was between 2 people coming from a country where 99,9999% of the population were Caucasian, until just a few years ago.

Your turn................

Ohhh, and his tone is not possible to explain here.

On 11/29/2016 at 9:24 AM, sinbin said:

That's not a racist comment. That's an observation. Similar to 'a lot left footers in the National team these days'. Just cuz 'black' was mentioned you jumped the gun.The chances are in this politically correct world that the manager has to , by law, include a percentage of the ethnics and disabled into his team. The way they play I'm sure they do select disabled players. :sorry:

Ref ID 51

2 hours ago, Travel2003 said:

Because the conversation was between 2 people coming from a country where 99,9999% of the population were Caucasian, until just a few years ago.

Your turn................

Ohhh, and his tone is not possible to explain here.

If you're an older guy then you're way too sensitive. Anyway this is about racism in Issan.