Buyin a motorbike without Residence Cert

SoFarAndNear

You need a certificate of residence to register the bike - however, most dealers won't sell you the bike without seeing a certificate of residence - just to safeguard themselves or save messing about at a later date.

If you can convince them to accept your cash and provide a certificate at a later date, then that's great, but I would say most wouldn't want the grief and will give some cock and bull but everything's worth a shot.

This is a completely different matter to buying a second hand bike which the above comments would refer to. Pretty obvious from your post that a Thai dealer won't need a certificate of residence.

If you want to make a swift purchase, then take a Thai with you, their ID is all that's required. Then transfer the title at a later date, check that the theft insurance that often comes with new bikes is carried over to a the new owner.

• 1 year later...

@SoFarAndNear or anyone with experience with this- any hassles?  I'd like to buy a bike today and get the COR later in the week for registration/green book if it's not going to be a problem.  The dealer seems to think it's not a problem to buy today and register it later.  Just want to confirm that I'll be 100% legal today with insurance and any paperwork if the police happen to stop me.

When I bought my bike a few yeas ago the dealer being fairly useless required me to get 3 certificates because he didn't get the green book from another dealer for 6 months. When I finally got the green book I went directly to Transportation office to register the bike. 

If you buy new: You need red license plates and have to make sure that your insurance covers you while the car is not registered yet.

But red plates have some strange limitations like that you might not leave the province, might not drive after 6pm and have to write your rides into a log book. Of course this stuff is usually not enforced, but if somebody wants your money...

You will need a calculator to keep the count of red-plate bikes at night in Phuket roads, is this after 6pm prohibition for all provinces.... !? And a log book... !!! There are so many of these red-plate on rent to tourists here, I doubt anyone cares.