I'm back (i lasted 3 weeks)

cheapskatesam

9 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

I have £720 a month 

Easy enough to live on, I have 800 Euro a month for myself and "she who must be obeyed"... Have my own gaff though, so no rent. Wouldn't pay too much attention to the " highflyers" on here. 

Edited by dotpoom

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

I have £720 a month 

My experience/expanses, might give you an idea, in Pattaya (a lot cheaper than Bangkok)

£720 a month is just above 30.000baht

I use a APP on my phone to follow all my expanses, very useful.

I have a 3 story shophouse for 10.000 a month (top floor empty, will rent out some later date), electric/water 800baht a month (no air, just a good fan)

I spend about 5000-6000baht on food and (non-alcoholic) drinks, basically supermarket shopping.

- I cook myself and have a large chest freezer filled with shoppings and pre-cooked food.

- Shop cheaper in bulk at e.g Makro, Tesco. Also use several free delivery supermarkets

My cat costs about 1000baht a month.

Smokes 1500baht a month

Now and then a takeaway or delivery food 1000 a month

Other expenses Cleaning, Motorbike, Phone say 500-1000baht a month

That comes to about 21.000baht a month

I am not a bar person (anymore - after many years), but do like a beer/SangSom now and then with farang or Thai friends whom come over to my place, which comes to 3000-5000 a month.

Say total now 25.000baht a month, leaves you with 5000+ savings money a month for other important payment

Got some yearly costs like internet 8000baht a year

Full insurance 40.000baht a year

A lot of TV members here will call me a cheap charlie or say it is almost impossible to live this way. These guys just can't live here without spending thousands everyday on booze and whores. If that makes them happy fine. Been there, done that, not for me anymore.

I just live my life as I would have back home, with friends and (adopted) family.

I am very happy and content with my life here in Pattaya. Got everything I need and want.

If you need more info just PM me.

Edited by BrainLife

10 hours ago, swissie said:

You don't need a new plan brother. What you need is more money !

Remember:
- No money = no honey.
- No money = no decent room.
- No money = no medical attention by nobody.
- No money = no respect from local people (Thai's & Farangs).
- No money = no friends.
You should stay home. Cheers.

Your right of course I begrudgingly (only kidding) gave you a like. It this guy has a modem of understanding he should realize that you do not go to a race and bet all your money on the first horse. Stretch the loosing out get more bang for your bahts. As he ages he will more than likely outlive his money the way handles it. 

8 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

what would be a good amount? 1000GBP?

How long is a piece of string? It all depends on your lifestyle, do you drink? If so, how much? Will you live on street food, cook for yourself, or eat out?

Will you live in an apartment in the centre area of Bangkok for upwards of 20.000Bt per month, or 4000Bt in Minburi or similar?

what would be a good amount? 1000GBP?

At least ... as long as you are fit and well, and do not need much medical help. If GBP recovers against the Baht that would be enough. 

2 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

The expert on frugal living is the much missed canarysun -- do a search for his moniker and read his posts. Some people derided him for his efforts to live on sweet beggar all (actually, he had no choice), but he did so with great humor, and great enjoyment, which he passed on to us all. He taught us how you don't need a lot of money to appreciate this country.

I'm sure I seen Canary Sun posting earlier this week, unless it was from a long time ago.

6 hours ago, tonray said:

You need some better apartment hunting skills. You can easily get a place in BKK with AC and toilet and shower for 4000 baht. For 6000 to 7000 can get a very nice studio room. 

Your income is about the same as 50% of all English teachers earn in Thailand. I have lived on 32 K per month for a couple of years easily as long as you are frugal.

Even if you rented an apartment at 6500 baht, that leaves with with more than 25,000 baht for food/utilities and extras. Easily doable.

if you don't have a Thai girl ? friend pumping your money ? every end of the month.

Don't even think about it there are no nice apartments in your price range in an expats area and you want to learn Thai if you want anything half decent and 20 miles away from prime locations such as asoke, oh and good luck getting cab at night and if you do your in 1 hour traffic!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, BrainLife said:

My experience/expanses, might give you an idea, in Pattaya (a lot cheaper than Bangkok)

£720 a month is just above 30.000baht

I use a APP on my phone to follow all my expanses, very useful.

I have a 3 story shophouse for 10.000 a month (top floor empty, will rent out some later date), electric/water 800baht a month (no air, just a good fan)

I spend about 5000-6000baht on food and (non-alcoholic) drinks, basically supermarket shopping.

- I cook myself and have a large chest freezer filled with shoppings and pre-cooked food.

- Shop cheaper in bulk at e.g Makro, Tesco. Also use several free delivery supermarkets

My cat costs about 1000baht a month.

Smokes 1500baht a month

Now and then a takeaway or delivery food 1000 a month

Other expenses Cleaning, Motorbike, Phone say 500-1000baht a month

That comes to about 21.000baht a month

I am not a bar person (anymore - after many years), but do like a beer/SangSom now and then with farang or Thai friends whom come over to my place, which comes to 3000-5000 a month.

Say total now 25.000baht a month, leaves you with 5000+ savings money a month for other important payment

Got some yearly costs like internet 8000baht a year

Full insurance 40.000baht a year

A lot of TV members here will call me a cheap charlie or say it is almost impossible to live this way. These guys just can't live here without spending thousands everyday on booze and whores. If that makes them happy fine. Been there, done that, not for me anymore.

I just live my life as I would have back home, with friends and (adopted) family.

I am very happy and content with my life here in Pattaya. Got everything I need and want.

If you need more info just PM me.

What insurance do you have for 40,000 baht what company ? Do you happen to have the phone number , name etc? You not a cheap charlie your a very smart charlie.

Edited by Mitkof Island

6 hours ago, tonray said:

You need some better apartment hunting skills. You can easily get a place in BKK with AC and toilet and shower for 4000 baht. For 6000 to 7000 can get a very nice studio room. 

Your income is about the same as 50% of all English teachers earn in Thailand. I have lived on 32 K per month for a couple of years easily as long as you are frugal.

Even if you rented an apartment at 6500 baht, that leaves with with more than 25,000 baht for food/utilities and extras. Easily doable.

And the other 50% earn less. :lol:

6 hours ago, Flanno said:

The first thing cheapskatesam should do is give Bangkok a big miss completely. While it's not to many peoples liking Pattaya is at least half the price for what you pay in Bangkok. That includes accommodation, food, beer and local transport. Also many areas of Thailand, away from tourist areas, are cheaper still. It beats me why anyone living on about 1000 Baht a day would be anywhere near Bangkok.

im not sure thats true, i think food and shopping for just about anything is higher in Pattaya. although I think it is possible to find cheap rental. 

The real fact of the matter is that Thailand tourism had its heyday through the 80's, 90's and early 2000's and now it's declining. I also think the country does not help itself in welcoming long term guests,, LOS it aint!

The reasons can be debated all day but one thing that cannot be debated is the increase in cost of living. Thailand just isn't that cheap anymore. Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar are the cheap SE Asia destinations for today and they will boom over the next 5 to 10 years for sure.

Pattaya is still one of the cheapest places in the world especially if you like to drink. You can go to a fantastic sea view location like the beer garden and drink 50 baht tiger draft all night long

Although I do not live in Bangkok, the only day I manage to spend over 1,000 baht is when I pay my rent.

I go out to meet friends over a few beers, but there is only a certain amount one can drink, and at 56, I am no longer able to drink 12 large bottle of Leo on a night out. Shopping for food etc. maybe a maximum of 5,000 baht per month, I occasionally eat out, but also enjoy cooking myself, which is cheap as chips.

When you think there is an average of 30 days in a month, I fail  to see how some of the biglicks on here profess to need up from 100k to live here ?

If I had that kind of disposable income, I seriously would not change anything I do, as my life is good here.

I think the MAIN reason is that I am happy being single, been there, got the T shirt and have no desire to go through the same dating process, as I am fortunate that I can fend for myself, and unlike some on here, do not need a carer (wife) to look after me.   

11 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

I have £720 a month 

i'm sure you have a more modest lifestyle than most...me too...i rarely drink at bars, never pick up bar girls, and only occassionally eat western food, and i'm content to enjoy the scenery most places...but i know if i lived/desired  a more active social life, especially in bkk, my expenses would easily double... 

I would suggest look for a quiet beach town, somewhere like Khao Lak(90 minutes north of Phuket).

A decent house there for 5k, nice beaches, cheap bars, western and Thai restaurants and unlike Bangkok you can spend a day at the beach for free.

Most people I know come to/came to Thailand for the serene beaches, with 30k a month you can live that dream....just find a quiet beach town, there are 100's if not 1000's to choose from. 

In saying that, due to Brexit there is a very good chance that 720 quid will be worth a lot less here in the next couple of years.

55 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Pattaya is still one of the cheapest places in the world especially if you like to drink. You can go to a fantastic sea view location like the beer garden and drink 50 baht tiger draft all night long

Tiger and Heineken draft at Beer Garden are now 60 Baht. I was there last night. But still great value given the location out over the water with cool sea breezes to enjoy with a cold beer in hand.

About 13 years ago, the cheapest Appartements I found which I still was happy that time was about 7'500 baht.

I guess by now a similar style is more expensive.. That was very nice... had a small kitchen with fridge a big bed and a living area space. It was a studio with about 25-30 m2.

Now I think I still could live in a condo like that.. but not feel that happy anymore, and want something better. Because we don't know exactly what the OP need that he can  stay it's difficult. And we also don't know if his 4'000 baht was overpriced or not. Maybe it is possible for him to found a 4'000 baht condo which he would be happy...

But Bangkok is for sure more expensive than Pattaya in terms of condo prices

It depends on Visa extension you will have. Lifestyle you live, beer vs no beer, etc.     I think you should look to the north or north east to find the best in cheap living.  Many expats up here living relatively well on 30,000 baht.   You can easily find free girlfriends up here, either in person or off the net.  I suggest you find one with a decent job, not hard to do.  You can rent a house here for 5,000 baht,  a nice one bed apartment with good toilet room and AC for under 3,000 baht. Just find an expat hangout in the town or area you chose and they will set you on course.  Like I said make sure you talk to the local expats before you make decisions.  You will be so much happier if you have friends to talk to regularly.

If you are into the girls the karaoke bars are everywhere up here, if you see a house lit up with christmas type lights on the road it is usually a karaoke.   Not much fun alone though as very little english spoken in these. usually a short time hotel next door. The bigger towns may have a red light district,  Udon Thani, Korat, etc.

8 hours ago, tonray said:

BUT, not enough for a friendly lady, unless she is desperate.

10 hours ago, nausea said:

I would suggest you take the current required income for retirement here - 64,000 baht a month (roughly £1500 at current exchange rates), as a minimal ballpark figure for a comfortable lifestyle. Of course, many people live on a lot less, and many on a lot more. The impression I get is that c. 30,000 baht is the minimum survival level, whilst to really live it up you need 100,000 baht or more.

I must be doing something wrong.

I have no problem staying here spend around 18k a month.

I dont watch my spending or do without anything.

Of course if you want to waste money pay 15k up for rent in Sukvit and pay city prices..up to you.

Can get the same quality 2 bedroom appartment in condo building in the suburbs for half that. 

5 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

My 700 quid comes from various online ventures.. and is rising every month. i have a normal 9-5 job in the UK. 

I hate living in the UK.. things are gonna get so much worse here in the coming years. If you come from Lithuania Pakistani or Nigeria it is fantastic.. but for me.. no

Great, another brexiteer who shafted himself vis the GBP debacle that ensued. They dislike the (mistaken) idea that blow in foreigners live better than the average local schmuck here too. you'll fit right in.

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

im not sure thats true, i think food and shopping for just about anything is higher in Pattaya. although I think it is possible to find cheap rental. 

The real fact of the matter is that Thailand tourism had its heyday through the 80's, 90's and early 2000's and now it's declining. I also think the country does not help itself in welcoming long term guests,, LOS it aint!

The reasons can be debated all day but one thing that cannot be debated is the increase in cost of living. Thailand just isn't that cheap anymore. Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar are the cheap SE Asia destinations for today and they will boom over the next 5 to 10 years for sure.

Cambodia  and Myanmar are NOT cheaper than here and they are utter site holes.  numbeo.com is my evidence. as were boots on the ground there.