I'm back (i lasted 3 weeks)

cheapskatesam

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Are you paying for housing month to month, either via rent or a mortgage?

Are you paying to cover yourself (and potentially your wife) with appropriate health insurance?

We will be living at her brothers house (real brother) until our house is built, and with appropriate health insurance. In Issan.

It is true that you need more money if you choose to live in Bangkok, Pattaya, or Phuket but in Issan figures such a 100,000 baht a month are ludicrous. In my opinion. 

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Ahab said:

We will be living at her brothers house (real brother) until our house is built, and with appropriate health insurance. In Issan.

It is true that you need more money if you choose to live in Bangkok, Pattaya, or Phuket but in Issan figures such a 100,000 baht a month are ludicrous. In my opinion. 

I was just trying to understand when you cited the 40,000 a month budget in your prior post, whether or not that amount included monthly costs for a] housing and b] health insurance, likely an annual premium, but an expense that still can be pro-rated to a monthly amount.

From your answer above, I still can't tell whether or not you're including housing and health insurance costs into your 40,000 monthly budget.

As for building a house here, of course, someone can pay for a house upfront in cash and not have monthly rent, but even that carries a lost opportunity cost for the capital funds you'd no longer have.

Please keep in mind that our monthly income is considerably more than this amount, but 40,000 baht is our monthly budget.  It is a strange concept to some that a budget is an amount less than your income, but it works for us.

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

Besides rent or price to buy a house, a tall Leo, what is so much cheaper in Issan?

27 minutes ago, thehelmsman said:

The only reason it may be cheaper in Issan is if you stay away from town.

Which is what I will be doing.

Tailor made clothes are also much cheaper, as I doubt I will ever find something that fits me in a Thai (or anywhere in Asia) store. A good pair of dress pants with nice material costs about 1000 baht from the village tailor.