Newly built Mosque 5am prayers driving crazy

Beachbummer

My nearest mosque here in Hat Yai is 200m away. I usually sleep through the first call to prayer at around 5:30, I wake up around the sunrise call at 6:30, the midday and afternoon calls remind me of the time, and prayers at sunset tell me it's time for a beer.

We've seldom had issues with the mosque, it's a mixed community though mainly Buddhist, a couple of times a new muezzin has turned the volume up but I think complaints via the Thesaban ensure things return to normal and the mosque doesn't set the volume too high.

Personally I find it soothing, I spent three years working in Malaysia and eight years in Indonesia, so I know how loud things can get when there's a mosque on every corner. In our part of Hat Yai there are four within a 1.5km radius of the house, but generally I only hear the one closest to us.

As suggested elsewhere, you have two options, move or adapt. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Naam said:

i am countering with the stupid question "how many mosques on the Christmas Islands?" :coffee1:

Are you really that moronic?

There are Christians, Buddhists and Hindus living in Saudi Arabia.  They can't build a place of worship to meet their spiritual needs.  (There would be Jews too, but the authorities kicked them all out, and won't allow new ones in.)

As for Christmas Island (not plural) there's a mosque in Flying Fish Cove there - there may be more.  That's one more mosque than there are functional churches, wats or synagogues in the whole of Saudi Arabia.

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

Are you really that moronic?

There are Christians, Buddhists and Hindus living in Saudi Arabia.

the jury is still out to decide who's a moron.

how many of these Christians, Buddhists and Hindus were forced to live in Saudi Arabia? and what is the connection of non-Muslims in Saudi Arabia with prayer calls from a mosque in Thailand which bother a Farang?

next ridiculous comment please! :whistling: 

Edited by Naam
typo

17 minutes ago, Naam said:

the jury is still out to decide who's a moron.

how many of these Christians, Buddhists and Hindus were forced to live in Saudi Arabia? and what is the connection of non-Muslims in Saudi Arabia with prayer calls from a mosque in Thailand which bother a Farang?

next ridiculous comment please! :whistling: 

I'm still trying to understand your previous ridiculous comment about "how many mosques on the Christmas Islands?"

Your logic (if that's the right word) really seems to be all over the place.  Why on earth did you mention Christmas Island (and, for that matter, spell it wrongly)?

Let's sort that out first, then we can go on to other matters.

43 minutes ago, Oxx said:

I'm still trying to understand your previous ridiculous comment about "how many mosques on the Christmas Islands?"

what part of my stupid question do you think was a comment?

Naam said:

i am countering with the stupid question "how many mosques on the Christmas Islands?"

9 hours ago, Oxx said:

These people are members of a supremacist religion which teaches hatred of all followers of other religions.  So, they simply have utter contempt for those upon whom they are imposing their cacophony.  So, it's not simply a matter of "take issue with the people", it's "take issue with the religion".

As for Saudi Arabia, all legislative power rests with the king.  The monarchy can only hold on to its (rather unpopular) rule with the support of the Islamic authorities, meaning that the laws are heavily influenced by the Salafist (i.e. extremely intolerant) version of Islam.  Saudi clerics argue that to allow female drivers would "undermine social values".  In other words, it would give women an independence which would make them less subjugated by men.  So, no, again it has something to do with Islam.

I had heard this rant before about Islam being a Supremacist Religion.  All religions believe theres is the right way does not.

My own religion, says that you born into it rather than convert to it. Converts to my religion have to undergo really stringent test to ensure they really want to join and then they must go above and beyond attending a place of worship, unlike myself who was born into it.  It works like Nationality, if your born British (good for you), if you want to become British, then prepare to jump through hoops.  (SAME SAME).

Back on to Islam. There are mosques that teach hatred or non-muslims, but I would wager there are far more that teach tolerance of other religions.

When you come on here or anywhere and use hard fought freedom of speech, to condemn religions, then you are going to meet with my objection.

Inciting racial hatred, no matter if it is them against you, or you against them is simply wrong.

The last point, the King of Saudi Arabia is no more a King of Islam, than the Queen of England is the Queen of Christianity. To say otherwise is reaching and falling.

7 hours ago, Oxx said:

Possibly.  You've worked where Islam has already achieved complete dominance.  You perhaps haven't seen how it advances its agenda elsewhere.

By the way, how many churches are there in Saudi Arabia? How many Buddhist wats? How many synagogues? Hindu temples? 

And you think Islam isn't a supremacist religion?

This is a fair point. The answer as you well know is none.

But Saudi Arabia is not Islam.  It is just a Country, are you getting mixed up with the differences.  I know Islamic State do, frequently.

I am trying to keep this debate back on track.

Let me very clear where I stand. 

1. Condemning a person's beliefs in my own opinion is wrong. 

2. Countries are not religions.

Based on the information below, I have changed my mind. Turn off the bloody loudspeakers and give the man some peace in a free Country.

That said. I have just tried to good a few things about how people of my religion are treated in Saudi Arabia, to see if they shared my value and respect for other religions other than Islam.

Sadly I read this :  "You can find a few Western Jews living in Saudi Arabia today. But keep in mind that in Saudi Arabia you are not allowed to openly practice other religions than the state religion, and the state requires all citizens to be muslims."

Non-Israeli Jews would be able to receive guest worker visas for the first time, however it is a criminal offence punishable by flogging to wear any Jewish Religion Identifier (such as Star of David), in person or in the home, where an official could see it on view.

6 hours ago, Stocky said:

My nearest mosque here in Hat Yai is 200m away. I usually sleep through the first call to prayer at around 5:30, I wake up around the sunrise call at 6:30, the midday and afternoon calls remind me of the time, and prayers at sunset tell me it's time for a beer.

We've seldom had issues with the mosque, it's a mixed community though mainly Buddhist, a couple of times a new muezzin has turned the volume up but I think complaints via the Thesaban ensure things return to normal and the mosque doesn't set the volume too high.

Personally I find it soothing,

I lived in central Pattani for just over five years and never had a problem with the meuzzins.

After a while you barely notice them.

4 hours ago, autanic said:

Back on to Islam. There are mosques that teach hatred or non-muslims, but I would wager there are far more that teach tolerance of other religions.

When you come on here or anywhere and use hard fought freedom of speech, to condemn religions, then you are going to meet with my objection.

Inciting racial hatred, no matter if it is them against you, or you against them is simply wrong.

Not really. The Koran on which Islam is based is full of verses urging Muslims to wage war and to strike terror into the hearts of non-believers and cut off their heads etc. It also tells you not to take the Kafir as your friend and that Muslims are the best of people and non-believers are like lowly cattle or animals.

Granted, the Ahmadi branch of Islam is more peaceful, but they are persecuted by other Muslims for their more tolerant views on other faiths, the recent sectarian motivated stabbing of Glasgow shopkeeper Asad Shah being an example.
Also, Islam isn't a race.