How to make "meeting the parents" in Isaan perfect?

anthos

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well hmm, sounds like a desparate situation.... will pray for a miracle - a lovely respectful family ))

Will be interesting to compare his report with all the forecasts, I'll definitely post it in a few days after they return home.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BTW, in the OP,  maybe it's a Brit saying, but what the heck does he has "2-3 pairs of shorts" mean?

English is not my native tongue but I think that's how he described his wardrobe earlier today (maybe just shorts without "pairs") when I asked if he's packed his tuxedo.

7 hours ago, anthos said:

My friend has spent enogh long years here to be aware of the worst. So it's too late to hurt feelings.

We rather expect some good humour which this forum is famous for ).

Why the need to impress her parents? They will most likely despise him, whatever he does.

9 hours ago, TommyUK1960 said:

Get the parents a buffalo, walk it down the road to their house wearing his favourite football shirt.

The Parents will already be happy he's going to be their future ATM.  Don't spoil them.

Buffalos are so 1990s.   Now issarn parent want the latest iPhone 7+

2 hours ago, cheechee said:

i would!

I would also. Sadly most foreigners never listen anyway. Really a waste of time in this too short of life. Not sure where all these foreign nitwits come from getting involved with women and a culture they have not a clue about. Can,t speak the language and them most often getting involved with a hooker. They are their own worst enemy.

19 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

I would also. Sadly most foreigners never listen anyway. Really a waste of time in this too short of life. Not sure where all these foreign nitwits come from getting involved with women and a culture they have not a clue about. Can,t speak the language and them most often getting involved with a hooker. They are their own worst enemy.

spoken like it is....................your spot on mate well said. and a baby on the way :cheesy: got cha

Book into an hotel in a nearby town.

Invite the parents to a Korean BBQ (Moo Gataa), the GF will know of one.

See how many show up despite only inviting 2 people and whether or not you get a bill for the pick-up that brings them.

This will give an idea of how many freeloaders expect to be supported.

The biggest shock will come when OPs freind realises that the parents are the "same age" as him. You can discuss recent world events like 911 terrorist attacks, OPs friend and the parents were probably in there 20s when that happend, a little uncomfortable when you realise the GF was 3 

Run!!!!!

What is it with Brits and the stupid football thing? I can't watch football for even a minute without getting so bored I fall asleep. Let alone getting worked up by a particular team.........

Edited by AlQaholic

13 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Run!!!!!

What is it with Brits and the stupid football thing? I can't watch football for even a minute without getting so bored I fall asleep. Let alone getting worked up by a particular team.........

Its common ground that transcends language.

Picture this, you have just met the GFs father, the girls have gone off to buy groceries, its 427 degrees with one tiny fan, your sitting on the floor drinking some rice whisky fire water, a plate of offal tidbits. You cant speak a word of Thai, dad cant speak English, google translate isn't working as there is no internet. Its getting more and more uncomfortable by the minute. 

GFs dad switches on the black and white telly and there is a football game on, it your Savior.

It's utter purgatory and although I have put up with Issan village stays for over 10 years and 8 trips I now refuse to go. It's BORING as usually no TV you can watch and no internet, nobody speaks English,  and eat the food at your own risk. Never ever give money or expensive gifts as you will be starting off on the wrong foot, food and drink only. Don't eat mr gop !

Edited by thai3

It is a good idea for him to meet the parents. Have a good look around at the place. What it has, what it doesn't etc. Because the fact of the matter is that in under 5 years this is where his child will be living out the rest of their life. It will be of some comfort to know the place is reasonably OK. Issue arises if he sees it is a shit hole then knowing his child will be in for a lifetime of poverty. At this point pray to whomever you follow the kid is a boy. If it is female and a half breed and resembles him in anyway (skin tone etc) she will live a pretty miserable existence. In fact if he is still around in 20 years he could possibly run into her in Pattaya.

Heres hoping they are indeed nice people and perhaps when the child becomes an adult they may seek you out. But be prepared to answer those questions... Why did you leave me there? And so on.