How to Convert English Laptop keyboard into Thai characters?

TallGuyJohninBKK

I'm guessing someone here has crossed this bridge before...

I've got a U.S. Windows/Toshiba laptop at home with a regular English characters keyboard that I'm thinking of giving to my Thai wife to use.

She can read and write in English, but when she's using a computer, she also likes to have Thai characters available on her physical keyboard. And unlike a desktop PC, with a laptop, I can't simply easily swap out the laptop keyboard for an English-Thai version.  Also, laptop keyboards come in all different shapes and sizes, making it unlikely there's a custom fit keyboard overlay out there.

Perhaps there's some kind of English/Thai stick-on things that I can attach key by key to cover the existing key labels.  I dunno, but perhaps one of you does have an idea for a real solution???

Thanks very much for the info about that. I assumed such things did exist, but I don't know that I'd ever seen them here.

And yes, the computer itself does already have the Thai language and keyboard set installed in the Win 10 OS.

The actual physical TH-EN keyboard labels are the only added things needed.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

55 minutes ago, Hereinthailand said:

Just buy her a wireless usb keyboard\mouse combo to use with it.

Yes, could do that...

But in her case, she's planning to use the laptop mostly for work or school-related things, and that means carrying it back and forth between home and work/school at times. For that reason, lugging around more add-on hardware isn't the preferred solution.

If she was just using the laptop at home, that would be an entirely different matter. But she already has her own desktop PC at home, so that's not what the laptop question is about...

Yet another option is to buy the TH-EN keyboard for that laptop. Many places carry the replacement part, like AliExpress. Cost is around 

AliExpress Search: toshiba laptop keyboard thai

Just find the version for your model of Toshiba laptop. The laptop keyboards aren't that difficult at all to replace, but if you don't feel comfortable then find a local shop. They may even be able to find and install it for you themselves.

As said the Eng/Thai stickers are probably the easiest solution. However if the notebook has a backlit keyboard you will lose that functionality.

You can buy transparent stickers which have small Thai characters at the corner of each key leaving the original characters visible. Not a perfect solution though, since the Thai characters can be hard to read.

Thanks to both Rich and Demon above.

No go on the replacement keyboard. The laptop in question is an OLDER model, but one that still works fine running Win 10. But no replacement keyboards to be found for that particular model (which I'm typing this post on right now!)

As for the stickers, no backlighting on the laptop keys, so covering them with stickers shouldn't be any problem!

13 hours ago, Hereinthailand said:

Just buy her a wireless usb keyboard\mouse combo to use with it.

That's great...............unless the laptop is to be used for what it's intended, a portable device that's carried from place to place. Then having to carry a keyboard and mouse as well becomes a real hassle.

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No go on the replacement keyboard. The laptop in question is an OLDER model...

What's the model number?  

The search I posted was just meant to show examples of replacement part keyboards. 

Had my Acer laptop original EN-TH keyboard start to fail last year (several keys stopped working). Did a google search using my laptop model number + replace keyboard as keywords and found many places selling OEM and cheaper replacement parts. Went with one of the cheaper options (800 baht shipped) and it's mostly worked out fine. The cheaper replacement keyboard has a lose 'G' key that likes to pop off every time I tend to pop off and type too hard when responding to someone else's idiotic comment. 

I taught myself to type in Thai by bookmarking this

Thai keyboard

It is not the solution you requested but it is a solution.

i) Learn to type in Thai = less need for Thai letters on keys

ii) When you/your wife can't remember e.g tor patak , you can refer to the bookmarked webpage.

5 hours ago, RichCor said:

What's the model number? 

Hi Rich!  Thanks for the offer. I did look at the website you posted, but also did a broader search and came up with nothing. But maybe you can find something I couldn't find. I'm no expert when it comes to sourcing Thai computer parts. Part of the challenge too is not just finding an original replacement keyboard, but a EN-TH one instead.

It's a 10 year old laptop. Specific model is Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094. (At least one good endorsement for Toshiba (at least in the past) building quality, long-lasting laptops).

Keep in mind, its existing EN-only keyboard is fully functional. The only thing I'm trying to accomplish here is to get it fitted one way or the other with dual EN-TH character keys or key labels, so the wife can use it for typing in Thai.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

IF you have a touchscreen laptop ...

The OP has stated this is a 10-year old laptop. Doubtful it has a touchscreen.  

They've also stated they already have it running Windows 10 with English and Thai language and keyboards loaded, just missing the actual key symbols on the keycaps ...so they probably already know how to switch languages on it.  

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Download thai language on google and but a cheap USB keyboard from tuk com or similar. 

IF you have a touchscreen laptop again download thai language then bottom right of screen press language usualy says ENG and select thai then use on screen keyboard in Thai

Nope, no touchscreens on circa 1996 Toshiba laptops... :smile:

And no extra hardware for my wife to carry about with the laptop and all her other belongings!

On 11/27/2016 at 9:21 PM, sumrit said:

Just buy a set of sticky labels for the keys. Each label has both UK and Thai characters. Then install/add a Thai keyboard on the laptop so you can switch between the two languages.

Numerous places at Pantip Plaza IN CNX HAVE THE STICKERS...very cheap. The people at GOODSPEED, also at Pantip Plaza can help with the technical aspects. Been using them for 10 years, great service, reasonable prices.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Nope, no touchscreens on circa 1996 Toshiba laptops... :smile:

And no extra hardware for my wife to carry about with the laptop and all her other belongings!

Ooooppsss... Sorry, I should have said, circa 2006...  It's old, but it's not THAT old!

:smile:

7 hours ago, RichCor said:

The OP has stated this is a 10-year old laptop. Doubtful it has a touchscreen.  

They've also stated they already have it running Windows 10 with English and Thai language and keyboards loaded, just missing the actual key symbols on the keycaps ...so they probably already know how to switch languages on it.  

Well I must have missed that sorry to have taken up your time I'm sure

21 hours ago, RichCor said:

The cheaper replacement keyboard has a lose 'G' key that likes to pop off every time I tend to pop off and type too hard when responding to someone else's idiotic comment. 

Hey Rich, your loose key comment above set me to thinking.

Are the keys on laptop keyboards removable/replaceable. As in, once one comes off, can it simply snapped/stuck back on?  Or once one comes off, that means it's broken

Was just wondering because if that WAS the case, then even if I can't find a TH-EN replacement keyboard for my old model, perhaps I could find a keyboard with same-sized TH-EN keys that could replace those on mine?

The caplets on most keyboard do come off (if your careful and know how they're connected and springed.

So it's possible to swap key cap surfaces with a like model keyboard.  The keyboard just has to be from the same OEM batch as the parts are usually sized and designed for a specific manufacturer and series of products. So another M110  M115 series keyboard ...unless other models or laptop manufacturers used the exact same OEM component keyboard.

Good idea though.