How to stop ants

Merv291265

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A.)   Borax and boric acid are the same thing.

B.) I have had very good results with Borax, mixed with brown sugar in a saturated solution.

C.) It's not a permanent solution but I've only had to do it once this year - pretty good for the tropics.

D.) It's available from http://healthfoodthailand.com/en/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=borax&submit_search=

:D

On 29/11/2016 at 6:54 PM, rijb said:

5 parts sugar, 2 parts warm water, 1 part boric acid.  Mix well to dissolve the boric acid.  A watery paste works best.

I usually make a small batch, using a spoon.

Backtrack their trail and make splatters along the way.  The ants go crazy over this stuff.  They'll be gone by the next day.

Chalk sticks work great for a short term solution.  

The boric acid works permanently.  However, a new group of ants might take over the nest.  Just make another batch and let 'em party until they die. 

Well said,  I found ants that didn't eat the sugar stuff so mixed up peanut butter and boric in a paste did the trick. 

I don't think boric acid works permanently.

How can it? Nature will find a way in the tropics.

The good thing about boric acid, sweetened so that the ants like the taste, is that it doesn't kill on contact, rather they like it and take it back to their nests where it does more damage and kills more ants.

That's why it deters ants for months.

4 hours ago, bark said:

If it is a rental house; best to move out. You cannot stop them.

Find home without insects. Next home use chemicals that kill all bugs and insects on property.

you are very right, i have tried everything, they keep coming back.Nothing helps to keep them away.

On 11/30/2016 at 0:15 AM, SunsetT said:

But why do u want to kill them all? No need! We are destroying everything on this planet!

My answer, based on personal experience:  Let one of the tiny little ones crawl in between the sheets with you and bite your nutsack.  You'll feel differently.

Good news on ants:  We can't kill 'em all.  There's between 100 and 10,000 trillion of the little buggers and they'll be here for eons after we've moved on to a planet with even cheaper sex and better weather than LOS.  (Bees, on the other hand, get my utmost respect and the best treatment I can muster)

To the guy suggesting the OP change his rental accommodations if he has insects, he'd be doing a lot of moving.  I'll go 6 months without seeing an ant, then a troop will move through- seldom stopping, but occasionally getting lost between my sheets.  Where they harden my resolve to do whatever it takes to get rid of them.

Same with skeeters- none for months, then one day it's like someone put out the welcome sign.

Hate to admit, but my nuclear option is a can of Raid (or local substitute), sprayed just before I go to work in the morning.  Then home at lunch to open the patio doors to let the place air out, then it's fine when I get home in the evening.  It's even better if I can spray before bugging out for a weekend.

Although I am not responding here to how to stop ants getting in, I do have a solution of killing them instead of using ant spray, that is expensive and smells terrible.

For ten years I have been using an ordinary plastic spray bottle, not more than B20. I fill to two thirds water and a couple of squirts of washing up liquid, more or less B0. It is very effective and smells nice too. One pull of the trigger is enough. Not only ants... Try it!

-Boric acid I know where to order so contact me if you want that.

mixed with sugar and water they bring it to their nest, feed it to their queen(s) and die.

queen(s) dead..... ants gone.

- every type of ant dies very fast when in contact with a mixture of soap and water (sunlight....dishwashing soap)

- put some flea/tick powder in your breaker boxes and on/around your pumps or other electric equipment.....works perfect...no ants there ever to mash up your electric devices .

sure all of above works..... tried it all my self.  I run into this problem so often with my customers. waterpumps and breakers break because of them ( www.h2owatersystems.co.th )

Edited by goltec

6 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Unfortunately the small black ants loves to go into electric appliances/wiring and can cause substantial losses. I don't kill ants in the garden but there is a no entry sign on the house.

Yes, that was my point, kill and deter them in the home, but no need to go for full scale genocide of the whole nest.

On 11/30/2016 at 3:15 AM, SunsetT said:

But why do u want to kill them all? No need! We are destroying everything on this planet!

okay if that is how you feel ,give me you address and i will send them to you,   what a load of codswallop.....

On a more environmentally friendly note you could try the following:

keep all food in the fridge or sealed containers - like tupperware style boxes

food waste bin - get a screw top waste bin and empty it every day

use a few drops of cinnamon oil - they hate this and will disappear instantly 

I do this with food waste and food storage and 10ml cinnamon oil lasts about 6 months

ants in the garden i leave alone - I consider them to be natures cleaners

5 hours ago, hoffy66 said:

okay if that is how you feel ,give me you address and i will send them to you,   what a load of codswallop.....

If u bothered to read the posts I was responding to, and my previous post on using chalk, u will see I was saying there is nothing wrong with killing them and deterring them from entering your home but there is absolutely no need to use something so toxic that it exterminates the whole ant colony. I discovered that even the chalk will  unfortunately kill any gheckos that might be living in or around the home or room where it is used.

World on track to lose two-thirds of wild animals by 2020, major report warns

"Marco Lambertini, director general of WWF, said: “The richness and diversity of life on Earth is fundamental to the complex life systems that underpin it. Life supports life itself and we are part of the same equation. Lose biodiversity and the natural world and the life support systems, as we know them today, will collapse.”

He said humanity was completely dependent on nature for clean air and water, food and materials, as well as inspiration and happiness."

Do you have any children or grand children? What kind of World are we leaving to them and future generations? Do you care or will you just stick your head back in the sand as most of my 'Im alright Jack'  generation  seem to do?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/oct/27/world-on-track-to-lose-two-thirds-of-wild-animals-by-2020-major-report-warns

Edited by SunsetT
clarity......

We bought this stuff in a little Thai market. Says 30 baht, but was only 25 for two packets. You mix a packet with honey and place wherever the ant trails are....and we were inundated with them, balcony, kitchen, bathroom, and drop a small piece of food and immediate infestation. Put this stuff out and they appeared in there thousands. Next morning they were all gone and have been for three months. Do NOT put around PETS or they will probably eat it being sweet and die. So put it out at night or dusk. Fantastic stuff. Take the picture to the store.

image.jpg

The mixtures using borax/baking soda, sugar and water are deadly for ants (make sure your pets can't lap it up, tho). Vinegar's big benefit is not as a repellent, but its elements destroy the chemical trails ants lay so their brother and sister workers can follow them to the food source.  The vinegar keeps them lost and unemployed.  Flame throwers can be effective but collateral damage must be considered against the physical satisfaction derived from their use.

On 30/11/2016 at 2:38 PM, RichCor said:

HomePro sells this as "BAIT INCEST KILLER ARS 2.5g",  51฿

I'm not sure how you use it as a bait for incest. It also makes a good Ant Killer even if HomePro doesn't market it that way.

Yea, most of the large shops like Tesco, BigC, etc, will carry it.  

I tend to open the foil pouch and put pour 1/4 of the bait into the green 'ant hotel' at a time. Otherwise the high humidity may affect the bait before the ants have taken it all. Then I move the plastic box to a new location and top off.

I'm not really into killing ants. I usually remove what drew their attention, wipe down all surfaces to remove the seeker-ant's scent trails and use the chalk to mark a line they shouldn't cross.  I only resort to the 'incest' killer when they've over run the place and won't leave. The bait is preferable to the noxious canned spray.  

Thais often get 2 letters back to front on some English words. It is meant to read "BAIT INSECT KILLER ARS 2.5g" 51Baht

On 12/19/2016 at 4:45 PM, impulse said:

Ya shave the left half, light the right half on fire, and stab 'em with an ice pick when they run out.

Oh, wait.  That's for crabs.

very brave of you to mention your problem with pubic lice. There are medications for treating this, no need to go into self harming; unless you like that sort of thing of course.

As for ants i use a permathrin powder by Chaindrite, but not to be used arounds kids or pets. I use just a little to block their path.

http://www.sherwood.co.th/product_detail.php?category_id=1&product_id=29

if you want to nuke them then Chaindrite also do a termite water based insecticide

http://www.sherwood.co.th/product_detail.php?category_id=1&product_id=63