Internationl calls to Thailand mobile

nellyp

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but it seems logical. I have been recieving calls from the uk from my family by them using an access number and going through an exchange. This has been fine, but doesn't seem to work any more. I have been looking into it and it seems the costs have skyrocketed. My mother cannot do anything with the net so is stuck to the telephone systems. Does anybody use the (old fashioned) telephone system? I am looking for something that is less expensive than the 9p a minute access charge  and the provider's 2p on top. that is quite reasonable, but i talk for hours to my mother and don't want her to have the charges when she calls me. Thanks for any help you may give. BTW I have also looked at these who look great but my mother would not want to "go through all that nonsense" of a direct debit lol. Great for others though

http://18185.co.uk/index2.php.

If you have a mobile phone, you can set up SKYPE and a Skype account and call her landline very inexpensively.  

If she has even a basic smartphone, a shop could set up Skype on her phone with only your contact in the directory.  All she would have to do is click your name and push the button.  If your phone is active, you should get the call, free.

20 minutes ago, dddave said:

If you have a mobile phone, you can set up SKYPE and a Skype account and call her landline very inexpensively.  

If she has even a basic smartphone, a shop could set up Skype on her phone with only your contact in the directory.  All she would have to do is click your name and push the button.  If your phone is active, you should get the call, free.

Thankls for this. I already use skype to call my mother, but she is completely non smartphone friendly. I already gave her one to use so we could use skype, but she never charged it and in fact threw it away in the end. Unfortunately, I have to figure out a way for her to use her landline to call me.

Thanks again

5 minutes ago, nellyp said:

Thankls for this. I already use skype to call my mother, but she is completely non smartphone friendly. I already gave her one to use so we could use skype, but she never charged it and in fact threw it away in the end. Unfortunately, I have to figure out a way for her to use her landline to call me.

Thanks again

My mother rings me on some cheap line that she gets a bill for but it is a lot cheaper to set up a monthly subscription for me to call her landline on Skype ,  about 3 pounds a month or to call Mobiles and landlines is about 12 pounds p/m.

Edited by alfieconn

6 minutes ago, nellyp said:

Thanks again

I completely understand...I remember covering my Mom's TV remote with yards of duct tape and cardboard so she could only turn it off/on and change the channel....of course, she did always find a way to push some arcane button that scrambled the screen and necessitated the 11pm visitation.