Paiboon backs controversial orator Orapim’s renewed US visa application

webfact

Paiboon backs controversial orator Orapim’s renewed US visa application
By The Nation

pb1.jpg

Paiboon

BANGKOK: -- JUSTICE Minister General Paiboon Koomchaya has instructed the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to issue a letter of recommendation in support of a renewed attempt by a well-known orator to secure a US visa.

“I ordered the DSI to do so [issue a letter of recommendation to the speaker] in my capacity as head of working group investigating lese majeste offences,” Paiboon said.

He said that celebrity orator Orapim Raksaphon, publicly known as “Best”, wants to improve understanding of the lese majeste issue during her planned trip to the US, which was in line with the committee’s intention.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30301031

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-29

She has been invited to speaking to Thai groups in the US so she'll be explaining the LM law to them not the general citizenry who probably don't give a hoot anyway so the junta's support for her seems strangely excessive.

There's no doubt she'll be supported as a well known royalist and maybe is possibly well connected in a fashion that hasn't come out yet and which I will not explore further.

Won't it be interesting if the US authorities are unmoved by this new situation and still refuse a visa ?

Big loss of face for Paiboon et al.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

If I recall, the rejection of her initial visa application was not in the slightest bit a political move. (It is the move by the Justice Minister that shows her trip to the US is highly political). The visa was denied because the applicant was negligent in completing the form and providing the necessary supporting evidence.

More ridiculous grandstanding by Thai government ministers. A motivational speaker needs help from the Thai equivalent of the FBI to fill in a visa application form. Good job she doesn't have to do TM30's or annual extensions.

"...the rejection was because of a credit blacklisting..."

An appropriate reason for rejecting a visa for anyone seeking to preach the "virtues" of the junta's lese majeste paranoia (especially in the US).

Regardless of what Paiboon (and the rest of the junta clowns) may say or do, it's hard to see the US giving them too much "credit" for anything they may try (including sending their "Best" speaker) to justify their draconian ideology.

paiboon.jpeg

It's quite interesting to hear here that at least part, or all, of the woman's intended talk is going to be re LM on behalf of the government.  AFAIR, there was zero mention in the original reporting on this story of just what she was going to be talking about.

Now that we hear exactly why she wants to go to the U.S., all the more reason to deny her.

9 minutes ago, Orac said:

Another strange article. The allegation that the Army may have been paying her 30,000 baht per hour, far above the normal budget for speakers.  But zero mention in the article of just where that claim was coming from or who made it.  Would be interesting to know...

I think it is a bad idea for her to speak about that issue in the US. There are a lot of nut bags there who may hold up some signs or blurt something out that could effect relations between countries. I hope all involved realize this risk.