Binational wills for same-sex couple

Pawpal

I'm a male US citizen and my partner is a male Thai citizen. We have been together nearly 20 years and were married in the US but the marriage is not recognized in Thailand.

My partner has no property in the US, and has neither US citizenship nor green card. He has written a Thai will naming me beneficiary for his Thai-based estate (including a house, car, and bank accounts).

I have neither Thai citizenship nor residency permit. My property in Thailand consists chiefly of a condo, for which I have written a Thai will naming my partner as beneficiary.

I set up a living trust for my American holdings pre-dating my relationship, and this needs to be updated to leave everything to my spouse.

My questions:

Is it legal to have separate wills in Thailand and US for estates in those respective jurisdictions? Is this the best way to handle the situation?

Can anyone recommend an estate lawyer familiar with Thai and US laws (and the nuances involving an American marriage not recognized in Thailand).

You can leave your assets to anyone you want to in a will you do not have to be married or related to them, This applies in Thailand and Australia i do not know the relevant laws in the USA but expect they are the same, should be they are your assets not your families

You can have separate wills for each country but i was informed that its not necessary by a Thai lawyer who was not chasing work or fees from me  

Edited by madmax2