Thai healthcare experts urge use of condoms to prevent HIV

webfact

Healthcare experts urge use of condoms to prevent HIV
By PRATCH RUJIVANAROM 
THE NATION 

7e54f12804f4efc4b48e6c02be1afdc4-sld.jpe

New infection rates still dropping, but homosexuals and teenagers still at risk

BANGKOK: -- CONDOMS ARE essential to prevent the spread of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), experts said, as the latest studies show that the infection rate is still high among men who have sex with men (MSM) and teenagers due to unsafe sex. 

On the occasion of World Aids Day tomorrow, it was revealed that the MSM and teenagers were the primary HIV-infected groups. The information was provided by social workers in the healthcare sector who put this increase in infections to a problem with the availability of condoms, and unprotected sex. 

Dr Panumard Yarnwaidsaku, deputy director-general of the Disease Control Department, said there had been 6,304 new infections in Thailand this year alone, which brought the country’s total number of people living with HIV/Aids up to 426,999.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30301113

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-30

I bought some condoms the other weekend. 99 Baht for 3! I'm not being stingy, but imagine you're a local on a pittance. Condoms need to be much cheaper here. The government will save money in the long run by putting 0 tax on them and even subsidizing them. But who cares about making more money in the long run? Need to make a little it right now!

38 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Actually PAD, Cabbage and Condoms, have had this message for decades.  They would sell clear bags of rice with a condoms.  This thwarted over population in Thailand.   Wonder what happened to PAD and Cabbage and Condoms.   

Wonder what happened to PAD and Cabbage and Condoms.   

http://www.pda.or.th/restaurant/

8 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I bought some condoms the other weekend. 99 Baht for 3! I'm not being stingy, but imagine you're a local on a pittance. Condoms need to be much cheaper here. The government will save money in the long run by putting 0 tax on them and even subsidizing them. But who cares about making more money in the long run? Need to make a little it right now!

If you do the HIV testing in any public hospital for free, after the result, negative or positive, you will get a box of 100 condoms also for free.  Thai size.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Using a condom is akin to sucking on a lolly with the wrapper on....

you're not a man if you use a condom, and da hell with the consequences...

this kind of thinking keeps the doctors and hospital busy...

Was you who told that to two of my Thai friends?... Now they are just ashes...... 

In addition to condoms Prep and pep are viable options. Prep is about $20 per day and falling.  Pep is good for up do 72 hrs.  Not sure on the availability of these drugs in Thailand but the day will come soon. Also copies of these drugs may only be months away if not already. There are side effects with these drugs but there use as a temporary measure to possible hiv exposure may be justified. 

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Hasn't that been the message for what, 30 years? :thumbsup:

There's a whole generation  that doesn't understand HIV, HEP, HPV or herpes.

Why do you think there is an ongoing STI epidemic and an infection rate of close to 50% in certain sex trade demographics.

As someone that lost.a brother to Aids/HIV when he was 35 years old. I don't wish that on anyone. Terrible way to die. Medical advances have come a long way since then with new drugs.

But still have a way to go for a cure.

Be safe and wear protection. Me I am a one women guy and don't play the field.

Not worth the risk.

Australia provide free condoms and lube at sexual health centers, which are also free as consult surgeries and treatment through Medicare.

Here condoms are expensive for teens, and they have to front another person to buy them in a 7/11 or Boots.

Even the Thai Red Cross charge a (small) fee for tests etc, these should be free, everywhere.

The best prevention, is really education.

They don't need to even bother with the issue of teachers getting involved, just create a non judgmental, informative website that is designed for teens.

For example, check out the UKs superb privately run 'drugs+me' harm reduction site for kids and uni students.

Thailand can afford this nowadays, easily.

9 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

There's a whole generation  that doesn't understand HIV, HEP, HPV or herpes.

Why do you think there is an ongoing STI epidemic and an infection rate of close to 50% in certain sex trade demographics.

While none of the above are particularly fun, the less serious ones are misunderstood greatly.

Most sexually active humans carry HPV (warts) and/or Herpes, some can transmit them but never show symptoms, or get one initial attack, or get hit hard and often with recurring outbreaks, these are rare.

The silver lining to this is, since a huge number (I think from memory 80+% of the global population) are carriers, the panic and recriminations around getting these infections is often unwarranted.

When I first got warts the Doc told me trying to lay blame was pointless, it could have been my current girl, or one from 5 years ago. They (the warts, not the girls) went away on their own eventually, and never came back.

There are also vaccines available, but only for pre-sexually active teens now, the future looks bright for them.

HIV is probably always going to have the stigma of the early panics, and it's a serious disease, but, the reality is, if you don't get it into your bloodstream, you simply cannot get infected, decades of medicine confirm this.

It's a bit perplexing that Thai teens, specifically, are now a high risk group. Impossible to speculate on the strength of a news report. So I won't try.

What makes the virus so prevalent in Africa is that the strain there is more virulent than elsewhere, and a large swathe of the population already have compromised immunity and untreated sexual sores from other infections, and/or use heterosexual anal sex as a form of birth control.

Some people are actually immune to HIV.

About 3% of the northern European (nordic gene) population. It's complicated, Google *CCR5-delta32 gene deletion*. believe it or not, I found that out at a Thai Red Cross consult, and then looked it up.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 9:16 AM, rkidlad said:

Cannot find  condoms my xxl size, now I use a inner-tube of a

bike lol