Foreign Motorcycle entry rules into Thailand.

morocco

Have there been any amendments recently to bringing a foreign bike from Cambodia into Thailand?  Last I heard only 30 days allowed with no extensions and no more than 60 days in one year. Why is it that all foreign tourists have to pay for the consequences  of the Chinese tourists behavior in Thailand?

1 hour ago, morocco said:

Why is it that all foreign tourists have to pay for the consequences  of the Chinese tourists behavior in Thailand?

Who would know why And they only be guessing anyway.

If 30 days ain't a nuff,  fly in and hire a bike loads to choose from now.

Who would know why And they only be guessing anyway.
If 30 days ain't a nuff,  fly in and hire a bike loads to choose from now.

Yea, I will rent.
This is the first year that I have not brought my bike to Thailand in 8 years. Disappointing to say the least. Hope they change the rules in a year or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a lot of info on RideAsia about this subject,  you are slightly right, something like, you can enter for 30 days and then get extensions - but the monthly extensions but are limited to 2 or 3 in a calendar year or something along those lines.

There is also a Facebook group covering the subject.

Despite a slight disagreement with the fb group, i think the RA guys have really been doing their homework, it's not just a matter of guesswork.

Edited by recom273

There is a lot of info on RideAsia about this subject,  you are slightly right, something like, you can enter for 30 days and then get extensions - but the monthly extensions but are limited to 2 or 3 in a calendar year or something along those lines.

There is also a Facebook group covering the subject.

Despite a slight disagreement with the fb group, i think the RA guys have really been doing their homework, it's not just a matter of guesswork.

Thanks for the response. But I believe you are wrong about extensions. I will look at RA forum. I've been a member of Golden Triangle Rider for some time and administrator David is very knowledgeable on the subject. And thanks for your info.
Keep the Wind in your Face.

1 hour ago, morocco said:

Thanks for the response. But I believe you are wrong about extensions. I will look at RA forum. I've been a member of Golden Triangle Rider for some time and administrator David is very knowledgeable on the subject. And thanks for your info.
Keep the Wind in your Face.

Jeez, didn't I just agree with your post? I didn't say I was right or knowledgable, I have been been noticing posts on RA recently and there is also a Facebook group .. I honestly don't take too much notice because it doesn't effect me.

the Facebook group is Thailand - new regulations affecting overland travelers - David is a member of the group.

Jeez, didn't I just agree with your post? I didn't say I was right or knowledgable, I have been been noticing posts on RA recently and there is also a Facebook group .. I honestly don't take too much notice because it doesn't effect me.

the Facebook group is Thailand - new regulations affecting overland travelers - David is a member of the group.

Thanks mate

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:02 AM, morocco said:

Yea, I will rent.
This is the first year that I have not brought my bike to Thailand in 8 years. Disappointing to say the least. Hope they change the rules in a year or two.

Don't think they will change the rules to make it easier. Too much money is at stake here and they don't want a repeat of the free for all situation that existed up until earlier this year - too many vehicles came in (yes mostly from China, but still) they mostly didn't get insurance and many had accidents, some even fleeing after causing them. Actually, over on Rideasia.net, it was stated that they are planning to make it more difficult by requiring a guide to accompany every tourist. So far, this rule has not yet gone into effect as I met 3 foreign motorcyclists coming in from Myanmar to Mae Sot the other week and they told me no guide required. It could be that they got their permits before the guide requirement came into effect, not sure though - Philip Gibbins over on Rideasia should know the answer, what I have mentioned here is basically what he has been saying but rules (and their interpretation) are constantly evolving.

If you're coming in from Cambodia on a Cambodian registered bike note that it's easier for you than if you were bringing in a bike registered in a 3rd country.

Cambodian cars and bikes don't need a permit if only intending on traveling in the border province. Theoretically you could wing it and drive beyond the border province without a permit but you're supposed to have one now. They're not too difficult to obtain, but insurance must be purchased beforehand.

It's 60 days in a calendar year that your vehicle can stay in Thailand for - 2 x 30 days I think. Or 4 x 15 days if you prefer.

• 2 months later...

You can have as many permit entries as you would like but the foreign vehicle is ONLY allowed in Thailand for a maximum of 60 days in any calendar year.

One solution is to arrive in the Thailand region in November & then it would be possible to get 4 months in succession with 4 Thailand entries (30 days each).

'

It's become expensive as you now need to be "shadowed" by a licensed Thai tour company.

We've done most of the entries into Thailand currently.