Thai Airways flight grounded after engine ‘bangs’ during Phuket takeoff

webfact

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

" Thai Airways has refused to comment on a flight from Phuket to Bangkok being cancelled after loud bangs were reported coming from one of the plane’s engines ..."

Typical Thailand. Anywhere else in the world it would be a standard press release about that the issue is and what is being done. But not in Thailand. No doubt any passengers who posts on Facebook about this flight will be arrested for computer crimes. :)

At least the pilots reacted in time.

Too true. Another example where Thai loss of face is just so out of touch with the world today. A simple, honest statement about the incident, formally made by Thai airways would alleviate any concerns with most sensible people. Refusing to comment just makes people more suspicious and leaves them wondering what the real situations is?

Better if they just treat it as the isolated incident it probably is and let people know what is being done rather then leave it hanging in the air for all to wonder.

4 hours ago, Xircal said:

The same aircraft, registration number HS-TEJ was involved in another incident in June this year when the left hand engine shutdown in flight: https://www.aeroinside.com/item/7708/thai-a333-at-chiang-mai-on-jun-11th-2016-engine-shut-down-in-flight

The aircraft was also involved in another incident in October 2014 when severe turbulence caused injuries to one of the passengers: https://www.aeroinside.com/item/4872/thai-a333-at-bangkok-on-oct-5th-2014-turbulence-injures-one

Wow, well done for finding this information. Not sure whether the turbulence incident is relevant but the left hand engine emitting loud bangs certainly is. Thai Airways really should deal with this and treat is very seriously before the speculation mill starts to grind. 

Many posters simply double-down on the previously posted condemnation and add their inventiveness to make prescribed punishments more awful. Maybe it exorcises their demons.  It's sort of like everyone casting their stone at the rapist, child-abuser, reckless driver, thief, etc., etc.

1 hour ago, DogNo1 said:

Many posters simply double-down on the previously posted condemnation and add their inventiveness to make prescribed punishments more awful. Maybe it exorcises their demons.  It's sort of like everyone casting their stone at the rapist, child-abuser, reckless driver, thief, etc., etc.

Well doggo my old mate, having been an extensive business class traveller exclusively  with Thai for over 15 years up to my retirement, I was bit out of sorts when they refused point blank to provide an extension to my two business class tickets to the UK as they had apparently gone over their deadline. 

You can can guess how much business of mine they get now !

If other TVF posters have been equally buggered about at their expense by Thai it might act as a stimulus to some TVF posters to vent their spleens at the clowns who run the national airline

I refrained from doing so on this story as even though their customer service assistance (nil) happened two years ago I cannot find the energy or interest to berate them plus undoubtedly one of the aforementioned clowns will undoubtedly tell PC Plod that they ( The Flag Carrier for the Kingdom of Thailand) have been defamed by a dirty foreigner and frankly life is too short to waste on them in my opinion

4 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Wow, well done for finding thisuesinformation. Not sure whether the turbulence incident is relevant but the left hand engine emitting loud bangs certainly is. Thai Airways really should deal with this and treat is very seriously before the speculation mill starts to grind. 

Certainly relevant??  Possibly.... maybe?

What If there had been an engine change after the first engine Issue??  We don't know there wasn't.

11 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

sorry but airlines don't refuse to comment in the USA. that would be the worst possible thing to say or do. never happens. The say what they know. 

and what is clear there was a "unknown problem with this flight and we are investigating. Early indications are suggesting a engine malfunction of some sort but it is too early to tell the exact cause."

you see how easy that was? but not in Thailand.

I possibly didn't explain myself.   When the cause is established, managements do comment, but to speculate prior to that time is just plain foolish, so not done.

The four airlines I've worked for have never speculated on the cause, prior to the cause being definitively established, but by that time, the public have moved on anyway..

Edited by F4UCorsair

10 hours ago, mikiea said:

wow , it seems you have deemed yourself the keeper of great truth . in a perfect world maybe . you have forgotten last year thai planes were not allowed to land at many fields outside of Thailand because safety and air time logs were non existent . oh ....and did you just call your fellow expats pathetic ?

Yes, he did and they are.

17 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Certainly relevant??  Possibly.... maybe?

What If there had been an engine change after the first engine Issue??  We don't know there wasn't.

I think an engine on the left side of the aircraft failing emitting a big bagging noise and then the right hand engine failing emitting a big banging noise is certainly relevant when it comes to investigating the aircrafts safety.

We don't know anything, and that's the problem. The rumour mill starts, in your case a rather neutral view but there will be many that are not so neutral and in my opinion when it comes to peoples safety it is better the airline come clean and simply state what they have done to rectify the problem.

On 01/12/2016 at 8:58 PM, mikiea said:

wow , it seems you have deemed yourself the keeper of great truth . in a perfect world maybe . you have forgotten last year thai planes were not allowed to land at many fields outside of Thailand because safety and air time logs were non existent . oh ....and did you just call your fellow expats pathetic ?

Typical answer from another pathetic thaivisa poster :smile:

I do not deem myself to be the keeper of great truth. That knowledge was vested to me by your mother who realised it would be wasted on you.

Now please go back to poking yourself in the eye

Edited by drgoon

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:05 PM, F4UCorsair said:

I don't think many know how airlines operate.   Maintenance is not a voluntary process, and the manufacturers, Airbus and Boeing, track an airline's maintenance, and frequently audit an airline's maintenance procedures.

They don't want to sell aircraft to airlines who will crash them; it makes their product look bad.

The manufacturers also monitor crew training, and ensure it is of an acceptable standard.

The manufacturers are occasionally called in by insurance companies to take over maintenance and crew training, so that an airline can continue to be insured.  The alternative is going out of business, and that does nobody any good.

It's not as simple as buying a couple of aircraft and being let loose exposing the fare paying public to unacceptable risk.

Sarcasm is a bitch if you missed it  :sad:

14 hours ago, licka said:

Sarcasm is a bitch if you missed it  :sad:

If there weren't so many who post here, and say nothing but bad about Thailand, I may have seen it as sarcasm.  There are so many who stick it up Thailand and Thais, at any, and every, opportunity, that I took it as a serious comment, foolish, but serious.