Singaporean Arrested After Smuggling Heroin From Bangkok

george

Officers foil heroin smuggler in Sydney

SYDNEY: -- A Singaporean national has been nabbed trying to smuggle heroin into Australia inside a pair of cycling shorts he was wearing.

Customs officers stopped the 34-year-old man at Sydney Airport after he arrived on a flight from Bangkok on Monday morning.

They examined his baggage and, after becoming suspicious, conducted a frisk search.

The officers discovered the man was wearing a pair of Lycra shorts under his clothes, concealing a quantity of white power.

The powder, weighing about 700 grams, allegedly tested positive for heroin, the Australian Customs Service said.

Australian Federal Police agents charged the man with one count of importing a marketable quantity of a border-controlled drug under the Criminal Code Act 1995.

The maximum penalty for an offence of this kind is a fine of AUD$550,000 and/or 25 years imprisonment.

The man is due to appear before Sydney's Central Local Court on Tuesday.

--ninemsn AU 2006-12-05

Australian Federal Police agents charged the man with one count of importing a marketable quantity of a border-controlled drug under the Criminal Code Act 1995.

The maximum penalty for an offence of this kind is a fine of AUD$550,000 and/or 25 years imprisonment.

--ninemsn AU 2006-12-05

Deserves everything that the law throws at him! :o

why can't he be sent back and shot????

not an advocate of the death penalty, but an advocate of the laws that use it on other nationalities.

wonder how much support the singaporean gov't will offer. or how vociferous they will be in defending their national.?

--ninemsn AU 2006-12-05

Deserves everything that the law throws at him! :o

SO DO YOU!!!!!

chances is that he is a Goat .

and there is like a doz of the carrier ..

and even when one is caught . the rest can pass..

drug lord don't get rich selling just 700g of drug ..

there go by the KG >

Test run possibly?

For what? 2.5kg in his lycra shorts.........

Not exactly Pablo Escobar is he........

If people wanna do drugs so be it, but those that traffic or deal large quantities deserve what they get.

They know the consequences and they take the risk through greed for money.

25 years, som num na..........

Personally I believe all drugs should be legalised and taxed, mafia organisations have to much power and create too much bloodshed, by taking them out of the equation the world will be much safer.

Until that day arrives though we all know the consequences of our actions, they know what they are doing, they know the risks and they don't care, they just want the $, they will not find any sympathy from me.

700g = 2.5kg?

I thought 1kg = 1000g?

you are correct, but the previous poster thought perhaps this was a practise run for something bigger.

Howq much can you get in your pants, not more than 2-3kg I would have thought.

That was the point I was making, I don't think this was a practise run for anything, just another mule.

chances is that he is a Goat .

and there is like a doz of the carrier ..

and even when one is caught . the rest can pass..

there go by the KG >

Test run possibly?

Not exactly Pablo Escobar is he........

If people wanna do drugs so be it, but those that traffic or deal large quantities deserve what they get.

They know the consequences and they take the risk through greed for money.

25 years, som num na..........

Personally I believe all drugs should be legalised and taxed, mafia organisations have to much power and create too much bloodshed, by taking them out of the equation the world will be much safer.

Until that day arrives though we all know the consequences of our actions, they know what they are doing, they know the risks and they don't care, they just want the $, they will not find any sympathy from me.

I love all the people that want to legalize drugs. What's your backup plan if it doesn't work? What happens if by legalizing drugs you increase the number of drug addicts another 10% of the total population? Now what do you do? I'm very interested in your answer....

700g = 2.5kg?

I thought 1kg = 1000g?

you are correct, but the previous poster thought perhaps this was a practise run for something bigger.

That was the point I was making, I don't think this was a practise run for anything, just another mule.

When people say "just another mule" or the "judge should be lenient" as they are just mules.. this sounds ridiculious to me. The mules are probably more to blame than the actual dealer themselves! Without these so called mules, the drugs wouldnt be transported.

I have no sympathy for these mules what-so-ever... they should be guilty as charged! They obviously got themselves caught up in the mess in the first place.

If someone is to be stupid enough to get caught up in that kind of thing, and attempt to carry out the trafficing, then they should face the consequences.

This man should count his lucky stars that he was not caught in Singapore!

Unfortunately, I think australia's justice system is not very just at all.... He'll most likely get a few months behind bars OR simply a fine, then be released with no further action!!

I wish he was caught in Indonesia!

700g = 2.5kg?

I thought 1kg = 1000g?

When people say "just another mule" or the "judge should be lenient" as they are just mules.. this sounds ridiculious to me. The mules are probably more to blame than the actual dealer themselves! Without these so called mules, the drugs wouldnt be transported.

I have no sympathy for these mules what-so-ever... they should be guilty as charged! They obviously got themselves caught up in the mess in the first place.

If someone is to be stupid enough to get caught up in that kind of thing, and attempt to carry out the trafficing, then they should face the consequences.

Unfortunately, I think australia's justice system is not very just at all.... He'll most likely get a few months behind bars OR simply a fine, then be released with no further action!!

I refer you back to my first post on the first page of this thread where I clearly stated that whatever sentance he gets he deserves and that he will find no sympathy with me.

Personally I am anti drugs but I believe the best way to tackle the problem is legalisation and taxation.

They could be sold in special licenced government shops where they can educate those who want them before they buy them. Meaning the drugs are pure and safe and the user knows how to take safely. Part of the tax can go towards education.

Street crime which is one of the biggest problems in our society could be wiped out overnight. Drug dealers would be out of a job, the huge sums of money would be taken from them and put into the national budget.

The amount of lives that would be saved by this is unbelievable, yet still we refuse to see this as an option. Gangs fighting and shooting each other would be greatly reduced, our prisons would be emptied and addiction could be treated as an illness.

There is no evidence to show consumption would increase, this is exactly the kind of rubbish Fox news spread. If anything consumption would fall. Anyway the levels of consumption in the west now are so high it seems ridiculous that we waste 100's of millions of $ each year to fight a war we can't win.

When you can't win wars you should change your battle plan.

I'm sure i'll get some flaming here for saying this but the simple answer is by doing this lives will be saved and crime reduced.

700g = 2.5kg?

I thought 1kg = 1000g?

I refer you back to my first post on the first page of this thread where I clearly stated that whatever sentance he gets he deserves and that he will find no sympathy with me.

Personally I am anti drugs but I believe the best way to tackle the problem is legalisation and taxation.

They could be sold in special licenced government shops where they can educate those who want them before they buy them. Meaning the drugs are pure and safe and the user knows how to take safely. Part of the tax can go towards education.

Street crime which is one of the biggest problems in our society could be wiped out overnight. Drug dealers would be out of a job, the huge sums of money would be taken from them and put into the national budget.

The amount of lives that would be saved by this is unbelievable, yet still we refuse to see this as an option. Gangs fighting and shooting each other would be greatly reduced, our prisons would be emptied and addiction could be treated as an illness.

There is no evidence to show consumption would increase, this is exactly the kind of rubbish Fox news spread. If anything consumption would fall. Anyway the levels of consumption in the west now are so high it seems ridiculous that we waste 100's of millions of $ each year to fight a war we can't win.

I'm sure i'll get some flaming here for saying this but the simple answer is by doing this lives will be saved and crime reduced.

You have obviously had a bit much of that white powder...legalization and taxation? Yes great idea, allow the producers to start operating legally and make it easier for drugs to get into peoples hands... pure genius you are. Ohh but wait, it's ok if we tax it right, after all, that tax could be used to fund the thousands of rehab clinics that will be required.

What exactly is the benefit of this idea? You don't think that drug companies wouldn't jump on the wagon to extract as much cash as possible from consumers using their highly addictive products?

Nevertheless, it does one no good to worry about opinions like yours, I shall, however, sleep well with the knowledge that you will never be in a position that allows you to implement your warped dribble.

I love all the people that want to legalize drugs. What's your backup plan if it doesn't work? What happens if by legalizing drugs you increase the number of drug addicts another 10% of the total population? Now what do you do? I'm very interested in your answer....

Simple.

Don't do it all at once, let a proper plan be worked out by experts, implement it in test areas first, controlled conditions, evaluate and re-evaluate the results, and decide according the results. And don't let extremist vested interests of both sides interfere.

700g = 2.5kg?

I thought 1kg = 1000g?

Womble, you are ablsolutely right on this one.

Controlled legalization is the only way to handle this.

It's happening already in many countries in forms of treatment.

There are some downsides always, but over all it's a step to right direction.

Heroin is losing it's market share in many countries in europe, since it's so easy to get prescriptions for bubrenorfine and methadone. Which is then sold forward illegaly in many cases and abused as usual. Anyway it gives users clean and good quality drugs. Problem is that all this is happening too slowly to hit the mafias pockets really bad. But its a good start to cure the sickness and fight the crime.

700g = 2.5kg?

I thought 1kg = 1000g?

You have obviously had a bit much of that white powder...legalization and taxation? Yes great idea, allow the producers to start operating legally and make it easier for drugs to get into peoples hands... pure genius you are. Ohh but wait, it's ok if we tax it right, after all, that tax could be used to fund the thousands of rehab clinics that will be required.

What exactly is the benefit of this idea? You don't think that drug companies wouldn't jump on the wagon to extract as much cash as possible from consumers using their highly addictive products?

Nevertheless, it does one no good to worry about opinions like yours, I shall, however, sleep well with the knowledge that you will never be in a position that allows you to implement your warped dribble.

Womble,

I have to laugh in disbelief at your comment.

Do you really think that Gangs fighting and shooting each other would be greatly reduced, our prisons would be emptied and addiction could be treated as an illness.

What are you thinking? Im sorry but i have to treat your comment as a joke, as its the most ridiculiuos thing ive ever heard

700g = 2.5kg?

I thought 1kg = 1000g?

Womble,

I have to laugh in disbelief at your comment.

Do you really think that Gangs fighting and shooting each other would be greatly reduced, our prisons would be emptied and addiction could be treated as an illness.

What are you thinking? Im sorry but i have to treat your comment as a joke, as its the most ridiculiuos thing ive ever heard

TravelBug- Do you watch Fox news, you sound like you have very been brainwashed into only seeing one plan of action which is failing can you not see that?? Each year Drug dealers and gangs gets more powerful, and we also have more and more users and addicts, each year those users gets younger and younger. Why can people not see that we cannot win this war, the best way is damage limitation which I believe is legalisation and education.

I have already stated I am anti drugs, I am also Anti crime and realise that we are fighting a losing battle. As Colpyat says, we don't have to do it in one foul swoop, it needs to be properly evaluated and tested out. It's ridiculous to catagorically rule out any tactic in 'war' until it is at least tested.

Gangs would have less power and there would be less drug related violence as they wouldn't be fighting turf wars over where to sell. Yes there will still be gangs and they will no doubt still be up to no good in numerous ways, but most gang violence is mostly drug related and this is due to the huge sums of money that can be made.

For sure there would be many less people in prison, all those drug dealers who sell to support their habbit would be out, drug addicted burglers would be out as they would have no need to steal, muggers and other street crimals would be out, remember these are mostly drug addicts who need treatment and drugs. Get the drugs to them and they have no need to commit crime.

I remember a case of a 12 year old girl last year up in Scotland, addicted to heroin she was. Too young to buy alcohol of course because it's properly controlled, but for a few quid she could pop out and pick up a nice bit of heroin without a problem.

Legalising a drug and controlling it's distribution is one way to help cut off the supply to children.

I'd suggest that the legalising of the natural drugs as the first step, cannabis, opium, mushrooms etc. (of course with suitable controls). Far less addictive, far less dangerous and perhaps a suitable alternative to more destructive drugs like alcohol, cocaine and heroin.

Perhaps refine and produce MDMA better for the party people, or at least allow it to be tested in clubs first so consumers know what they are swallowing.